Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a $25 rare earth magnet to mount in my car to hold my gun while I'm driving long distances. I am having trouble deciding how to mount it. I have already tried strong double sided mounting tape and it doesn't stick to the side of my center console so that is out. I'm thinking about using screws to mount it but am not sure that will hold in the plastic panel I plan on mounting the magnet on. I don't want to screw a couple holes into my center console if eventually they will rip out and make even bigger holes. I don't think that would be a problem but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? What kind of screws work best in plastic? Do any of you guys have one of these type of magnets mounted in your car? Any insight or other mounting ideas would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Before I got my Ram 1500 a few months ago. I had a velcro gun pouch that attached to the left(right knee) of my gear shifter. One part stuck to the plastic panel with velcro side out towards my right leg/knee and the pouch stuck to the velcro. Pouch was able to carry 2 mags, pistol and in a small pocket could fit flashlight, knife etc.. I liked it. But now that I drive my Ram, I just put it in a cubby under the cup holders. Left and below the cup holders is a cubby that will fit a handgun. It's in a holster so its snug and doesn't shake around in the cubby. (If you have been inside a 2014 Ram, you would definitely know what I am talking about.)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Get a Remora (or Sticky) holster and jam it between the driver seat and console/passenger seat. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I don't think a vertical magnet will hold the gun in a moving car. As the car bumps and vibrates the gun will slide off. Think of sliding 2 strong magnets apart. I made a kydex holster the fits between the seat a center console for my car because when using a soft holster the mag release got pressed and when I removed the gun from the holster the mag fell out. This happened twice. At least it would have made the bad guy laugh.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Get a Remora (or Sticky) holster and jam it between the driver seat and console/passenger seat. Problem solved.

Yep.... +1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just wondering why anyone would want to bring a magnet anywhere near their firearms?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Magnet wont affect your firearm other than maybe scratching it. Those rare earth magnets are strong... I use them in my gun safe. I doubt they would drop the gun other than maybe an accident.

I would recommend mounting a holster or some of the other suggestions first but if you need to mount the magnet it will uave to be screws or bolts. I dont know of an adhesive that would hold metal to plastic without ruining the plastic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could try placing a small metal plate on the inside of the plastic.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I also recommend mounting it in a holster of some sort.

If you really want to use the magnet, here's what I would do:

1) drill pilot holes in the magnet so you don't crack it
2) wrap the magnet in a soft felt or something so it won't scratch the firearm.
3) I would use a metal backing plate on the back side of the plastic to distribute the weight.

I had a CB radio and Ham Radio mounted this way without any problems. Drill pilot holes in everything, then drop a bolt through your magnet and the plastic, then through a metal plate that spans the length of the magnet, plus some. Throw a lock nut on the back and you will be good. You won't have any problems. If you decide to take it out, Napa has lots of various plugs in various colors that look almost OEM.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts

That might be a problem if you adjust the seats. Mine seats automatically move when I insert the key. I would "mount" on of the holsters with Velcro. That way you can remove the gun easier and the holster will stay put. Plus, if you want to take the gun and holster with you, you can just rip it off and stick it in your pocket :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Magnet wont affect your firearm other than maybe scratching it. Those rare earth magnets are strong...
Sorry, I should have been more specific. My concern wasn't with it causing the gun to stop functioning, but rather with any steel parts in the gun becoming magnetized and attracting and accumulating the minute particles of steel during operation and thus causing increased friction and wear.

It is most likely a non-issue due to the very small amounts involved.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sit in your vehicle and (with the firearm unloaded and no ammunition in the area) try drawing from the position that you plan on mounting your gun. Try simulating a carjacker at your driver's side window, and attempt to draw, get around the steering wheel without sweeping yourself with what would be a loaded gun in a stressful situation.

You're always better off having the firearm on your person instead of in the vehicle somewhere in case of a collision. Do you really want your loaded firearm flopping around during in your car because you had it stuck to a magnet?

Get a crossdraw or shoulder rig for longer rides. You can be out of the holster and ready to fire through a door much easier, faster, and more comfortably than any other method. And it's much safer to have the firearm on your person.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I bought a $25 rare earth magnet to mount in my car to hold my gun while I'm driving long distances...What do you guys think?
I think that you should plan for a worst-case scenario, a high speed motor vehicle collision with or without a rollover, and think about what would be likely to happen to a firearm subjected to those forces while restrained only by a magnet. In those critical seconds leading up to that MVC, do you want your mind to be distracted by that? In those next moments, during the MVC, and immediately following it, when you and/or others may be stunned and/or injured and/or still in danger, do you want your conscious mind to be occupied with thoughts of "Where is my gun?" and "I have to find my gun!"?

To avoid that, rather than (just) a magnet, I'd suggest something more secure, like a Safariland ALS holster with a QLS mounting system.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That might be a problem if you adjust the seats. Mine seats automatically move when I insert the key. I would "mount" on of the holsters with Velcro. That way you can remove the gun easier and the holster will stay put. Plus, if you want to take the gun and holster with you, you can just rip it off and stick it in your pocket :)
this would be my biggest issue, constant moving seats is going to cause wear, something I DONT want in my new Lincoln lol

·
Registered
229 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
^ very nice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts