Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to take a gun across state lines without a permit? I want to go from OK to TX to do some shooting with family. Am I good to go as long as the gun is unloaded and locked? I wouldn't think anything of it if it weren't for the Plaxico Burress thing; one of the things he got busted for was transporting a gun across state lines.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to take a gun across state lines without a permit? I want to go from OK to TX to do some shooting with family. Am I good to go as long as the gun is unloaded and locked? I wouldn't think anything of it if it weren't for the Plaxico Burress thing; one of the things he got busted for was transporting a gun across state lines.
Me personally I would be very cautious about asking questions on any forum that could land you in the slamer,or for that matter any thing that could get you hurt too.lots of people have an opinion and they AINT always correct.
be safe and check with your local feds.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I think you would be ok to do it. Check the local laws of Texas...You know the Okie ones. You have to remember, NEW YORK is ULTRA LIBERAL and GUN HATING...I would roll with it. If you don't have a CCW, then keep it out of view, unloaded, and locked. (If you want to be ultra careful that is.)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Most states you can buy books, that tell each states gun laws. Best thing you can do is call the State Police, in the paticular state you are going too. Ask them the policy. Then ask if they can send you something stating that. That way some cop wanting to be a **** can not screw you. If I'm not mistaken though, you can not take any handgun over state lines like that. Even if the ammo, and gun is locked up seperate. Unless you have a CCW, and that state accepts your states CCW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey, I found that if you are honest. ask the first cop u see in texas. Ask how to properly transport a firearm in his state..
I have gone elk hunting in oregon and live in arizona, and have to travel through the big baby state of california. Dear god please let california fall off in to the pacific ocean sooner rather than later..
Any way I just ask the first CHP I run accrost and ask them. I just let them know what I am doing and they let me know how to do it.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
This is why I went out and got me a Utah non-resident CCW permit. Now the states that I go to most (Nevada more than anything really) I can carry concealed legally.

California may suck donkey balls (though there are people trying to change that with the proposed inclusion of many 2a rights into the state constitution next month) there are ways to at least keep myself safe on vacation to Vegas.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I do believe there is a federal law saying you can transport a firearm across any state lines assuming it's being carried as per the states' laws. So in New York you may have to have it unloaded in the trunk, while in Texas you may be able to have it on you. You can definetely get the pistol there, and since I have to assume handguns are legal to shoot in Texas, you are good to go.

So basically you really just need to make sure you're transporting the pistol correctly as per state laws.

IANAL, YMMV, did not stay at a Holidy Inn last night.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I do believe there is a federal law saying you can transport a firearm across any state lines assuming it's being carried as per the states' laws. So in New York you may have to have it unloaded in the trunk, while in Texas you may be able to have it on you. You can definetely get the pistol there, and since I have to assume handguns are legal to shoot in Texas, you are good to go.

So basically you really just need to make sure you're transporting the pistol correctly as per state laws.

IANAL, YMMV, did not stay at a Holidy Inn last night.
This should have been a non-question.

Texas is not New York. Even if you were going to New York, you have FOPA protecting you.

In Texas, HB 1815 went into law in 2007 and allows you to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle w/o a CHL. You can't be a felon or other restricted person, a gang member, or someone committing a criminal act (other than a traffic violation [i.e. speeding]).

Good grief! I hate the media.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If in doubt then get the number for the local police dept or sheriffs office and call then them directly and ask about how to transport a firearm.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should be fine transporting it to Texas (and using it here). As nalioth said, you can even carry concealed in the car without a permit. FOPA basically allows you to transport a firearm in your vehicle, as long as it's legal at the start of your journey and end of your journey (as I understand).

I'm assuming the charge of "carrying a gun across state lines" is a New York offense. I didn't have much luck with Google, so I didn't research it too much.

\\ACB

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you would be ok to do it. Check the local laws of Texas...You know the Okie ones. You have to remember, NEW YORK is ULTRA LIBERAL and GUN HATING...I would roll with it. If you don't have a CCW, then keep it out of view, unloaded, and locked. (If you want to be ultra careful that is.)
I use to live in New York, and they are not Ultra Liberal, They're just plain stupid:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts