Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that my XD would jam every so often while at the range today. 4x all together. I was shooting cheap PMC ammo, which I had never had a problem with before. Once I got home for cleaning, I found a possible solution to the problem and wanted some input.

My idea is to remove a small amount of material to matte the feedramp to the other material to make a nicely contoured edge for the bullet to travel into the chamber. Think this would work?

See Pictures
Silde's feed ramp not matted to teh other material....I have no idea what to call that part.

Finger depressing the barrel to matte feedramp to material

Closeup shot....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I know nothing, but...

That looks like an issue with the barrel lock-up... The feed ramp should be coming closer to the magazine than that....

I think?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is correct. I just got back again, to find it FTF 2 more times. I am using FMJ PMC and factory 12rd mags.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I would not do that.....how was the pistol jaming it sounds like you were having feeding issues. Its not the lock up becuase this would have been present the whole time you have owned the pistol. Two things weaken over time while owning a pistol those include the recoil spring and magazine spring. Was the jamming with all of you magazines or just one. If its just one then maybe you dropped the mag and bent the feedlips or that mag spring needs to be replaced. The recoil spring.....did you just replace it....I see you have a ported xd if you put a really strong spring in it that could cuase feeding problems, or if its your original it may have weakend over shoting. Describe what the jam is doing and what the round looks like before you start removing material. You want the locking block fed portion to be in front of the barrel

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
What is the round count in the gun?

When you say jam, describe the jam.

stovepipe jam?

3 point jam? (bullet still partially in the mag, but locking up on slide and nose of bullet starting into chamber at high angle of attack)

lockup issue? (feeds into the chamber ok, just doesn't go into battery)

Don't go hoggin on the pistol till you determine which type of jam you are dealing with.

Stovepiping could possibly be solved by your suggestion, but only if the feedramp itself was addressed too.

3 point jam I've found is frequently caused by the nose of the magazine being crushed in and pushing the round up more than the feed ramp normally would cause. Straighten the mag out.

lockup issue, either weak recoil spring or the lips at the top of the mag are spreading and dragging on the bottom of the slide causing the slide to not fo fully into battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts