Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won a TC Triumph .500 cal smokepole in a raffle but I am not sure I want to get into muzzleloading. The shop owner is offering $450 towards anything else in the store. Any suggestions for a long range rifle for plinking and med/large game that wont break the bank, say under $800? Need to decide fast.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
That's easy, Remington 700 in .257 Weatherby Magnum, can do long range, deer, elk, small game and plinking. Ammo is kind of expensive. Otherwise some sort of Remington 700 in your choice of caliber and for under $800 you have lots of choices!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You could probably find a Ruger m77 for the price your looking at in a variety of calibers. Or a nice used Remington 720 series in a variety of calibers, too. If you happen across a 721 you could make a nice magnum build out of it.

joe

·
Registered
804 Posts
JMO, but a Savage is always a good investment. Best out of the box rifle's you can buy. Everyone has there own opinion's, but from my experiance the Savage's kick butt... I'll put my $300 .270 Savage up against any Remington anytime.... ;)

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You could probably find a Ruger m77 for the price your looking at in a variety of calibers. Or a nice used Remington 720 series in a variety of calibers, too. If you happen across a 721 you could make a nice magnum build out of it.

joe
+1 I would have to agree that the M77 series rifle is very good. 243 would be good...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I won a TC Triumph .500 cal smokepole in a raffle but I am not sure I want to get into muzzleloading. The shop owner is offering $450 towards anything else in the store. Any suggestions for a long range rifle for plinking and med/large game that wont break the bank, say under $800? Need to decide fast.
Go into the store and fingerprint the guns untill you find one that you like then choose the calliber . Anything based off a 30/06 case or .308 win should do the trick. Avoid magnums as the cost/blast/recoil can turn a decent shot into a quivering pile of goo.:shock:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is finished.
The shop was a bit small and they didn't have much in a .308 which would have been my first choice. So I settled on a nice Savage 30-06.
I will take it out next week and see how she drives.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It is finished.
The shop was a bit small and they didn't have much in a .308 which would have been my first choice. So I settled on a nice Savage 30-06.
I will take it out next week and see how she drives.

That should do anything you need it to do in the lower 48 states.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have that same rifle! I love it. Accurate, tough, decent trigger. Best value for a hunting rifle IMHO

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
JMO, but a Savage is always a good investment. Best out of the box rifle's you can buy. Everyone has there own opinion's, but from my experiance the Savage's kick butt... I'll put my $300 .270 Savage up against any Remington anytime.... ;)
yep i got a savage model 10 tactical (heavy barrel) in .308 and it is one flat, straight shootin mother i have ever shot.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put 40 rounds through it the other day. :oops:OUCH! Ordered a shoulder pad that night! ;) We will see how that goes...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A good limbsaver pad will do wonders. Nice rifle. My Savage 110 in 30-06 is my go to rifle. Have fun and enjoy the new rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
You got a great gun.... and you're gonna enjoy it...

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I bought a flintlock on the internet one night when I was drunk (seriously) and I LOVE IT. It's huge fun and looks neat hanging over the mantel.

Plus, they just send it UPS, except in NJ it's not a 'firearm'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts