Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new gf, (well my old gf is back to stay) and she is not comfortable living alone right now. I suggested she get a small weapon to protect herself. I like guns, she is on the fence about them. I wanna just get her a g19, something small, not much recoil, low maintence, extremely simple to use! i would suggest the xd subcompact but she didnt work the grip saftey correctly on my xd40 so i think xd's maybe out of the question. i really want her with a gun, but others suggests she just get a taser :rolleyes: what do u guys think, and if you have a gun in mind please feel free to share!

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
If anyone is unsure of using a firearm, when push comes to shove, they will not use it unfortunatley.

Get her something she will use. I've pushed my handguns on my girlfriends before and made them travel with it, but in the end, they would not have felt comfortable using it and most likely the BG would have taken it away from her and killed her.

I suggest a Kahr PM9 or CW9 for the ladies if they will be comfortable using a firearm.

If not, get one of the Kimber OC spray canisters or if that fails, a tazer/pepper spray can.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I got a new gf, (well my old gf is back to stay) and she is not comfortable living alone right now. I suggested she get a small weapon to protect herself. I like guns, she is on the fence about them. I wanna just get her a g19, something small, not much recoil, low maintence, extremely simple to use! i would suggest the xd subcompact but she didnt work the grip saftey correctly on my xd40 so i think xd's maybe out of the question. i really want her with a gun, but others suggests she just get a taser :rolleyes: what do u guys think, and if you have a gun in mind please feel free to share!
If she's not using the grip safety correctly she's not holding the gun correctly and no gun will work for her. Work with her on hold the gun poperly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look, someone who is on the fence as you say about firearms and self defense is not going to change overnight even if you buy her a Glock 19, XD, or whatever other gun you deep down inside kinda want for yourself.

The best thing you can do is have her take an all women's self-defense course. Once she understands the "Why" better, she'll start thinking about the "How." There are many ways to defend yourself, handguns are just one of many options. If she wants a gun, she will tell you.

Oh, and for the love of God, ignore all the crap about buying her a J-frame or some other small, hard to fire gun (mouse gun). J-Frames are guns for expert marksmen. I've been shooting for almost my entire life and I still have trouble hitting anything with a J-frame farther than maybe 7 yards. The sights suck, practicing with them hurts unless you get some of the Hogue 3-finger grips on there, the two-fingered grips are particularly uncomfortable, and they only have 5 shots. Sure, they conceal great, but their usefulness for many people stops at the intimidation factor (e.g. cross my fingers and hope he runs away).

It annoys me to no end seeing people recommending a gun that someone experienced has trouble with to someone who's never picked up a gun in their life. It's usually some well-meaning significant other who then takes the woman out to the range and, whadda ya know, she can't hit anything with her new revolver. She feels like she's failed, her hand's numb after 5 shots, and she isn't sure what she's doing wrong. Hell, if someone handed me a J-frame as a first gun, my first experience with shooting would have been far less enjoyable than it was.

The only company who has it right for what a starter gun for women should be is Nighthawk Custom. Their Lady Hawk is a great pistol for the first time shooter - thin grips, 9mm, easy to use sights, wide controls, and a heavy steel frame. Even so, not every person (male or female) likes the single action trigger or carrying cocked and locked. I can't blame them. Again, like I said before, let her decide the "How." Just answer any questions she has, she'll figure out what she likes very quickly.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Personally, if she's not used to guns in general, and most likely will not be spending considerable time at the range practicing (bad idea in general, but common for ladies), get her a revolver. Goes bang every time.

I just picked up a S&W 340CT M&P. It's a very light J-frame with a tritium sight and a laser. Not as light as the 342PD, which I feel is too light. Loaded with 38 special, it's the perfect carry gun for a woman. Point and shoot, that's it. Forget the 357 capability, that's ridiculous. I will load the first 4 rounds with 38, and the last with 357 just because the last round fired doesn't require a followup shot.

EDIT: Oh, and I do agree with the others that have posted. If she's uncomfortable with the idea of taking a life, she won't if god-for-bid she has to. Most likely she will hope to use the gun as a scare tactic and have it used against her.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Get her a small wheel gun in 38 special or similar. I'm not real familiar with all the options but I do know with a gun like that it doesn't go bang unless you pull the trigger. No safties to worry about, no magazines to worry about, no cleaning problems or worry about it going off when it shouldn't. Just 5 or 6 bullets with a grip and a trigger, no pull the trigger no bang, Point the gun and pull the trigger and it goes bang and the bad guy might not be so bad any more.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Get her a small wheel gun in 38 special or similar. I'm not real familiar with all the options but I do know with a gun like that it doesn't go bang unless you pull the trigger. No safties to worry about, no magazines to worry about, no cleaning problems or worry about it going off when it shouldn't. Just 5 or 6 bullets with a grip and a trigger, no pull the trigger no bang, Point the gun and pull the trigger and it goes bang and the bad guy might not be so bad any more.
Also, on the same note, if a wheel gun doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger, pull it again and it will. Guaranteed (well, unless the highly unlikely situation of two defective rounds). No need to practice drills repeatedly on what to do if the gun jams or fails to fire. Especially when under stress, no reason to worry about limp wristing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As an aside about women and handgun reliability:
Regarding wheel guns, I've always been in the camp that considered them of utmost reliability....until this past weekend. I took my wife to a range to shoot a Colt Trooper 357mag, loaded with remington 38sp. (cheap green box from Walmart). She took a shot, then tried fire a second shot (both double and single action) and couldn't get the action to work (would not cycle the cylinder). Come to find out, a small circular, wire shard off of the cartridge base had lodged in the mechanism enough to cause a malfunction. Perhaps a mans stronger hand may have been able to pull the trigger.
I guess the moral of the story is...Use only high quality ammo in your weapon and check it thoroughly and religiously before putting it in your gun.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i got my wife the kel tec 3at and im looking at getting one for myself or maybe the kel tec 9mm

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Unless fit is the problem, practice, practice, will help her build confidence with it!! Never know, she might turn out to be a better shot than you!!!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The ONLY person who should be deciding what gun your girlfriend carries is your girlfriend. She has 100% of the responsibility for a gun she carries. She must make her own choice.

As far as what she needs... think about it... her needs are based on the threat she must face and her ability to deal with that threat. If she faces a big man trying to rape or kill her, she has to stop the BG ASAP. She doesn't have a man's physical strength so she is unlikely to prevail in hand to hand combat. So maximum stopping power is what she needs. Indeed, she probably needs max stop power more than you do.

So she needs as much gun as she is physically able to handle and control. That can only be determined on a range with actual guns doing actual shooting. And she needs to be the one doing the firing.

I suggest you start her on a .45 ACP and if she can't handle that caliber, work down one step at a time. Most women can handle a .45 with a little training. There are plenty of guns that can fit her hand. Work with her but for goodness sakes don't think that because she is a woman that somehow she needs a small caliber gun. Nothing could be further from the truth!!
:-o:-o:-o

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have been taking my 11 year old daugher (5'4" 120 lbs) out shooting and let her shoot the pistols and let her pick the one she likes the best. She shot a little Beretta .22, Makarov .380, XD45 Service, Kahr CW9 and her favorite was the XD45 Service. She said it felt better when she was shooting and she was more acurate with it. The Kahr CW9 hurt her hand she said and it does have a pretty snappy kick to it for 9mm. Also the Kahr's trigger is really long.

With the XD she was able to acquire targets quickly and hit them (we used gallon milk jugs filled with water and food coloring). She can also pop off several shots back to back and still control it reasonably well.

I think you could teach your GF to use the XD properly in a couple of range visits, but if she is on the fence, I'm like the others as it will be used against her.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The ONLY person who should be deciding what gun your girlfriend carries is your girlfriend. She has 100% of the responsibility for a gun she carries. She must make her own choice.
A person can be educated in what is a good gun to carry. Just picking the prettiest one is not good enough. Allow her to pick the gun, but since you know what you're doing, eliminate the unreliable ones and so forth.

As far as what she needs... think about it... her needs are based on the threat she must face and her ability to deal with that threat. If she faces a big man trying to rape or kill her, she has to stop the BG ASAP. She doesn't have a man's physical strength so she is unlikely to prevail in hand to hand combat. So maximum stopping power is what she needs. Indeed, she probably needs max stop power more than you do.
Probably true.

So she needs as much gun as she is physically able to handle and control. That can only be determined on a range with actual guns doing actual shooting. And she needs to be the one doing the firing.
Handling and controlling aren't the issue. I can handle and control a ported/compensated/extended 6" 45ACP very well, but that is hardly a good carry gun. If it's too large to carry, you will slowly start not carrying it. I started with a 5" 1911, then went to an XD9SC and now switch between an LCP and a M&P340. For ladies, there is the challenge of dealing with wearing a dress everyday and carrying in a purse.

I suggest you start her on a .45 ACP and if she can't handle that caliber, work down one step at a time. Most women can handle a .45 with a little training. There are plenty of guns that can fit her hand. Work with her but for goodness sakes don't think that because she is a woman that somehow she needs a small caliber gun. Nothing could be further from the truth!!
:-o:-o:-o
I would hardly consider a 5-round 357 magnum a "small caliber gun". I doubt you (or almost anybody) would last a 50-round range trip with that thing loaded with 357. I've tried it, it hurts. 38 special is a lot more hand friendly, and still does the trick.

45ACP isn't a godsend if you have to keep the gun in a harder to reach area due to it's size.

From all of the females I have taught to shoot, the number one issue is racking the slide against a heavy recoil spring. There is a lot of training involved to be effecting. Load a magazine up and slip a snapcap in there somewhere. This is a very difficult drill to master: how to operate a semi-auto when there is a malfunction. It's an easy fix, but it takes a second to realize what just happened if you aren't expecting it.

Not suggesting that practice be minimized at all, but with a busy business schedule, finding range time can be difficult for some. Revolvers are by far a better choice under these situations. You can spend your time practicing hitting your target and forget the failure drills, because there are not. Operating the gun is easy as hell too. Quick and accurate speedloading can be practiced at home with snapcaps.

Good luck with the selection for the GF!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Handling and controlling aren't the issue. I can handle and control a ported/compensated/extended 6" 45ACP very well, but that is hardly a good carry gun. If it's too large to carry, you will slowly start not carrying it. I started with a 5" 1911, then went to an XD9SC and now switch between an LCP and a M&P340. For ladies, there is the challenge of dealing with wearing a dress everyday and carrying in a purse.
Trust me she can find a place to carry the gun.

I would hardly consider a 5-round 357 magnum a "small caliber gun". I doubt you (or almost anybody) would last a 50-round range trip with that thing loaded with 357. I've tried it, it hurts. 38 special is a lot more hand friendly, and still does the trick.
I just happen to own and have carried a 5 shot .357 Magnum in my purse for about 10 years. I can shoot a lot more than fifty .357 mag 125 gr. at a single session and have done so many times. Quite frankly the recoil of a .45 is less than that of the .357 mag. Most women can easily be trained to handle it.

45ACP isn't a godsend if you have to keep the gun in a harder to reach area due to it's size.
There are small frame .45's and there are easy access gun purses/Versipacks etc. not to mention OWB/IWB options or even shoulder rigs. Accessibility is not an objection to a female carrying a .45 since there are many options she can use that make the gun very accessible.

From all of the females I have taught to shoot, the number one issue is racking the slide against a heavy recoil spring. There is a lot of training involved to be effecting. Load a magazine up and slip a snapcap in there somewhere. This is a very difficult drill to master: how to operate a semi-auto when there is a malfunction. It's an easy fix, but it takes a second to realize what just happened if you aren't expecting it.
Racking the slide is definitely a problem to be overcome... even for some guys. But it is certainly doable with the proper technique... even for a slight woman. She simply has to learn how to do it.

In many cases learning to rack the slide is easier than tugging on a 10 pound trigger pull revolver and trying to keep it on target. I would rather have a 4 or 5 pound trigger semi in Condition 1 than a hard to fire revolver. If I have a jam with the semi, I do a NY Reload and pull gun #2. If that fails, then I can Tap, Rack, gun #1 and go Boom. Take the path of least resistence in each case.
;););)

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about just getting a compact, striker fired or single action 9mm auto with a 14-16 lbs. recoil spring? There'd be no problem racking that, no problem with a long, heavy trigger pull, light-weight to carry, easy to grip, easy to control the recoil, good sights, good ergonomics, a high magazine capacity...is there anything else I missed?

Wait, whadda ya know, that's the same type of gun many of us carry! What a coincidence! It's also the same type of gun that lives in the holster of millions of police officers world-wide. Why? Because they're the best overall guns for everyone to shoot, regardless of age, stature, strength, or experience.

Maybe some hardcore XD-types will cringe at this, but the gun I use to train new shooters with is a CCF-framed Glock 17. The gun has maybe a 4 lbs. smooth trigger, great sights, and the flat backstrap that I find to be a bit more comfortable than a Glock's typical hump (it's surprisingly close to the XD grip though). It is also very easy to rack the slide and has skateboard tape all around the gun so that one does not have to grip it as hard. Guess what? It's also a favorite of almost anyone I teach. It points naturally for most people, has minimal recoil, no external safeties, and is very accurate. I'll be the first to admit, it's a bit hard to carry but it does "break the ice" so to speak for many people.

Oh yeah, and I've never had anyone regardless of ability, gender, or age tell me they prefer shooting a J-frame or a .380 mouse gun over my CCF unGlock. Why do you think that is the case?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Several months ago my wife and I decided to get serious about getting our CHL. I let her shoot the revolvers I had but we both wanted autos. We went to a range that rented guns. I did a bunch of research before hand. We also went to several gun stores and looked at and discussed different guns. We then went to the range. We rented several guns. Some things showed up about different guns we didn't like and some that did. We both wound up with sub compact XD's. She has become very good with it. Probably better than me in point and shoot quick situations. She loves the gun and wants more guns. Anyway I think it would be good to go to the range where you can rent guns and let her shoot them. As many as she wants to try. Also after we had the gun she wanted we took a proffessional lesson and will take more. That really helped a lot. I am someone who has been shooting since I was 5 also and I suggest a lesson. We both took and passed our CHL after that.

Also on top of that I found these people and she is going to the class. Having the gun and all is great but these folks teach them some skills that can help if grabbed before getting the gun and/or how not to be a target. I'd rather have her recognize a bad situation and not use the gun than have to use it. She might want to look at this as well.
RAD Systems: Rape Aggression Defense: The National Standard in Self Defense Education(tm)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Look, with all that you have told us...don't push a gun on her because it just sounds like an accident waiting to happen or worse...an aggressor using the gun against her to further whatever horrible crime he/she had in mind to begin with!!

Get her a Kimber Life Act Guardian Angel or some other OC-type device.

MidwayUSA - Kimber Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster Self Defense Gel Projection Device 10% OC

MidwayUSA - Kimber LifeAct JPX Jet Protector Self Defense Gel Projection Device with Laser Black

The nice thing with the JPX device is the availability of "practice" cartridges that she can actually try the device before being put in a situation where she has to use it. That, if you ask me, is the major drawback to most of the OC devices is that you can't practice or even begin to figure out how best to use it until you are in an environment where you are likely to panic and get hurt. The JPX I linked you to above also has a laser sight which should further help her confidence level and comfort with the device.

YouTube - Life Act Non Lethal Personal Defense

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
That's totally code for "we should move in together" and/or "let's get married!" accompanied by high-pitched giggles.

Unless she's interested in a gun, which it sounds like she isn't, your new purchase will have two effects:
(a) you'll waste your money, and
(b) she'll get pissed at you for completely missing her message.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Both of you should go to Cornered Cat and read everything there. It is a website by a woman for women (and their significant others) who are considering firearms for personal protection. She is VERY thorough in her articles and will definitely help the two of you with this decision. A fence-sitter is NOT likely to use the firearm when necessary and may place themself or others in more danger than if they were not armed in the first place. These articles can help her pick one side of the fence or the other.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok fellas me and the little lady have established that she would love me to be there but since i cant, she'd be more comfortable with a weapon of some sort when moving around in the evening. A knife is out, and she has a bat for the apartment (which is not enough for her she feels) she said she'd be comfortable but she needs to get her hands on some so again sirs . . . recommendations. what do your wives, gf's, and daughters own or carry!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts