Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another guys post on here about a Glock 19. It took me toWikipedia. If you have ever been to that site you know how you can be on it forever because one link takes you to another, to another, to another.

Anyways, I was reading about how Glock uses a finishing process called Tenifer. Springfield's finish on the XD's and XD'm is called Melonite right? Is one better then the other or are they the same process with different names due to slight variances?

The old process of bluing is said to provide "minimal" protection against rust and that the addition of oil is needed to enhance rust protection. Then you have parkerized finish. That is better then standard bluing. How canyou tell the difference between bluing and parkerized? Is parkerized more of a gray look?

Just bored today and came across this while reading. The Wikipedia explanations get very technical and use a lot of chemist terminology. I was wondering if someone could explain it in layman’s terms.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Tenifer/melonte process is not a finish but a treatment to the metal. They are both basically the same process, nitrocarburizing.

Ferritic nitrocarburizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But as the question says, "is one better than the other?" I would like to know because I have heard that oiling a Glock is just wasting your time. Is the finish on a XD similar? I use a silicon embedded cloth and wipe it down when not in use. This is just to prevent rust. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Like I posted, the black finish is not the melonite. Melonite is a treatement to the underlying metal. Considering the myth that glocks don't rust, it's just that a myth.
Glock seems to have a better FINISH (notice here I didn't say nitrocarburizing treatment) than the XDs as far as the melonite vs tennifer there isn't much difference since they are both almost identical

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Neither is going to rust due to the above mentioned metal treatments. Melonite vs Tennifer is pretty much dictated by what country it is being applied in. The black finish on a Glock is more wear resistant than that of the XD. But it is a cosmetic thing only. Bluing is nothing more than a controlled rust and needs to be oiled from time to time. Parkerizing is a metal finish that essentially looks like the dark side of the moon when you look at it close enough. It is designed to hold the oil and protect the metal. It can be gray or a greenish tint depending on how it was applied. Just wipe down and dry your Glock/XD once in awhile and you will be fine. Don't worry about a little finish wear.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Parkerized will change color when its heated up the first few times. It will go from black to a light greyish white color. I hate bluing...my Savage is blued and even though its keept oiled, it still forms tiny patches of rust here and there. I will not buy anything thats blued!

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm interesting stuff. I wonder what my 1911 is? Are most of them blued or does it vary?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Depends higher priced one, colts are blued, mil type are parkerized. You can tell the difference parkerized slides are rough blued are shiny and a dark blue or black.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends higher priced one, colts are blued, mil type are parkerized. You can tell the difference parkerized slides are rough blued are shiny and a dark blue or black.
Ok, mine must be parkerized according to what you just said. I have a SA mil spec 1911. It has a grayish matte finish.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts