Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....ok..i've spent the last 3 or so days searching the internet for information on how to clean my XD .40. Now...of course the manual does give some very very vague instructions on cleaning, but i'm the type that needs to know more!

Now I did purchase a very basic Kleenbore cleaning set that also has very very vague instructions on cleaning so i'm still in need.

I did find one or two videos online, one from AGI (DVD) for like $40 and that is too much for me at the time.

Does anyone have any good website links that have detailed pictures or even movies that could help me take care of my XD the proper way?

It would be greatly appreciated...p.s...i did search this forum using the search engine and entering keywords like, "cleaning" and really didn't find much...so if there is a post on this subject, forgive me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
http://www.tetraproducts.com/cleaning_tips.asp

Some folks go crazy on cleaning, other folks never think about it. There is a happy medium in there.

Ex: I have a buddy that's a farmer, he cleans when the gun stops working. I have another friend that is an ex-Marine. His weapon isn't even cold from shooting and it's clean. I don't say anything to either, I just think they both are extremes. They fight like hell about it, but who am I to judge.

I clean every time I shoot or annually. Whatever comes first. The carry piece gets cleaned every two weeks if for some reason I didn't make it to the range. Usually a quick strip and lube. Solvent patch to barrel, dry patch 2 times, repeat until all patches pass thru clean. Lube patch, dry patch until all the exess oil is out and done. Hit the metal spots with solvent, lube and assemble. I don;t like a heavy oiled barrel. They foul fast and pressure loads spike until you shoot the excess oil out. At least that's what I've been told.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Be sure that your XD is unloaded before you start to clean it.....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
RLLOVER said:
I clean every time I shoot or annually. Whatever comes first.
Classic. 8)

While the Tetra guide is okay, previous experience (non-XD) has led me to also make sure that the feed ramp is nice and clean and to verify that there is no build-up of crud inside the extractor hook.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
reesegr said:
Hey Thanks! I just got done ordering it.
Let us know what you think of the DVD. I might get one for myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered it myself..

Is it any good? maybe i should have asked this question before i ordered.. ahhh, what the hell!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I said that... I'd have allot more gun stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts