Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which gun cleaner is better? I have an XD40 Tactical and was wondering which one would be best. Ipick up my XD on the 20 of this month and would like to be prepared. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Two words - - - Blue Wonder!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been really happy with mPro-7. It is water based, oderless and works very well.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Break-Free CLP is popular among State Troopers here in Indiana. I like it to clean, but I use Blue Wonder Armadillo to coat the finishing. Then touch it up with a little Gun Butter for lube.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Love this stuff!

Can't go wrong with armadillo either. Heat your slide up with a hair dryer and then apply the armadillo wax, melts right in!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like Hoppes Elite or Blue Wonder for cleaning. For lube I like GunButter or TetraGun. I also use TetraGun for rust/finish protection.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mpro7!!!!!!!!!!!! Best stuff out there IMHO

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello
Do you have to be careful with cleaners and the plastic parts? Do any of the cleaners or lubricants harm the plastic?
Thanks in advance.
ahroc

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use FP10 to clean and lube. It doesn't stink and it does about a good of a job as cleaning as other CLPs. The metal gets a wipedown with a light coating of CLP, and the exterior of the frame, if necessary, gets a wipedown with a water-based cleaner like Slip2000 or just soap and water.

There are better bore cleaners out there than FP10 but the XD usually doesn't need an aggressive bore solvent. Just a couple of wet patches followed by a couple dry patches gets the bore clean and leaves it protected.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I got a very interesting (to me) comment recently from a very experienced long time shooter and ex-military small arms instructor (British Army). But of course there's never a way to be positive, and everyone has an opinion on everything, as we all know.

This guy asked me if I used Breakfree CLP. I told him I never had. I have been using "Kleenbore Formula 3" lately (Used to use Hoppes and a gun oil...I thought the "all in one" made sense just because it's easier).

He said the Formula 3 was fine. Then he said if I ever used the CLP, I should NEVER get it inside the barrel of a gun. He said it was so slippery that bullets could virtually "slip" though the barrel and this really hurts accuracy. Now I am sure that "slip" is an exaggeration. But he was adamant that the stuff was too slick.

I had never heard of such a thing. I also have to wonder if the CLP and the Formula 3 are different. They both are indicated to clean, lubricate and protect.

Any thoughts?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Now, I was under the impression that the round actually deformed into the rifling a bit... sort of getting tapped by the barrel.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]Now, I was under the impression that the round actually deformed into the rifling a bit... sort of getting tapped by the barrel.
Yeah, me too...."slipping" through the barrel seems unlikely. Maybe he meant it in a different sense. As far as what you say, I always thought that was correct...that the bullet is larger than the inside of the barrel and has to compress somewhat.....which makes the rifling do it's thing.

The only odd part is the guy who told me is an older guy....maybe 70 ish, and his experience as an instructor with the British Army is verifiable.

On the other hand, people can be wrong about stuff for a very long time.

Peace,
D.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.