Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know Im getting my XD tomorrow. I see that keeping the gun cleaned and oiled is a must if I want it to be rust free. What products will I need that you guys have had the best experience with? Im sure I'll love cleaning it just as much as I will love shooting it so I want to feel confident that Im using a good product and that my gun will last a lifetime. Any tips for storing and cleaning will be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey young man, pistol gear has a little kit that covers clean and lube for about $20 with the best products

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here's my recommendations:

MPro7 for cleaning. It is water based so it has no fumes and is safe for every part of your gun. (It may, however, remove some varnishes, so don't use it on wooden stocks without testing it first). It cleans exceptionally well and leaves behind a protective layer but not a lube layer.

For lube, I like both Militec-1 and FP-10.

For occasional use I like Butch's Bore Shine to remove copper deposits in the barrel.

I love the BoreSnake! First I spray some MPro7 in the barrel and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then I run a couple of regular patches through the barrel. Then I spray more MPro7 in the bore and run the bore snake through a couple of times. The barrel is quite clean at this point.

If I can see streaks of copper then I will use some Butch's. A phosphor-bronze brush sometimes is needed to get out the copper fouling.

For the innards of the gun I will use a very small amount of Militec-1 lube, or for some spots I use TW-25B grease.

For cleaning magazines I use the MPro7 inside and out. Lubing magazines is easy. Just spray old fashioned silicone spray lube (not the new eco-friendly silicone spray). I will provide a slick surface that won't attract gunk. Silicone doesn't work as well on the other parts of the gun but is superior for magazines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts