Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard enough testimony from evryone about get a "gun belt" it changes everything about having a holstered gun!

I don't carry concealed because of state laws. I am starting to open carry more because of state laws (they are trying to ban open carry in California, and considering the difficulty of getting a ccw, open carry is my only option. Not preferred, but better than nothing.) Anyways.... I usually carry on my days off when I'm running errands around town. Now I have a genuine solid leather belt that's about inch and a half thick. Good thick belt. Love it. Use it every day. But I can tell the "sag" or "slouch" when I'm holstered out and about. Oh, and im using a blackhawk serpa level 2 that goes through the belt(came with the paddle, but didn't like it). Now I've been casually browsing belts without much direction or guidance as far as what I would need. Just checking out designs and prices. Well now that I'm starting to carry more, I'm wondering can I use my "gun" belt as an everyday belt? How many guys do that? Or should I be using a regular belt for everyday and a gun belt specifically for carrying. Is it comfortable or am I gonna be cutting circulation to my legs everytime I sit down or bend over?

Thanks!

Edit: Mods can move if I posted in the wrong spot. Couldn quite figure out where to put this.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
As you are aware, a good gun belt is absolutely essential.

In addition to the two suggestions above, I have and can recommend:

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

They offer a belt in 1 1/4" width, which I prefer, and also an option for 3/4" hole spacing, which makes achieving a good fit with/without your holster a bit easier, IMO.

Consider your gun belt as an investment in your ability to carry effectively and more comfortably.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just got back from a week in GA and carried everyday except for 2 hours while touring Ft Pulaski. 99.9% of the time i was concealed but i did open carry for the ride down there. I got a Looper Law Enforcement belt for this trip since i needed a good belt and I will say its the best $50 i have ever spent! It had no issue holding my xd40sc with two extra mags. For open carry I used my serpa and for concealed carry i used my kholster.

looperlawenforcement.com

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I wear my Wilderness Tactical "Frequent Flyer" belt every day I wear a black belt. I have some 5.11 belts that I use on brown days.

Speaking of, I need to go by WT (I live just down the street.) and see if they make a Flat Dark Earth color and just replace the 5.11's permanently.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I carry 99% of the time, but when I cant I use the same belt

I use a crossbreed belt, but the wilderness tactical is a good belt to

IMHO, once you have a gunbelt, you will not go back
Agreed! I wear my Crossbreed belt daily. A good gun belt makes a big difference on how your firearm rides and it sure is nice not to have to constantly adjust my EDC.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all good info, but what about when you don't carry? Do you still wear the same belt?

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
This is all good info, but what about when you don't carry? Do you still wear the same belt?
Yes, I wear my Wilderness Tactical everyday. I have two of them, one black and one tan.

The only reason why you couldn't wear the same belt w/o a gun is if you're already on the tightest hole with a gun, but that's IWB and you OC with an OWB, so that wouldn't be an issue for you. It's not an issue either if you use the Wilderness Tactical belts as there's not an adjustment limitation like with leather belts.

The benefit of wearing the same belt everyday is if you want to easily throw on your pistol before leaving you can, without having to fuss with changing belts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just got my wilderness tactical belt in today, and I must say I am very impressed. I got the OD green so I can wear with anything. I got the 5 stitch instructor belt, very comfortable, very lightweight, good adjustability, and great buckle with the v ring. Would definitely recommend this belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As you are aware, a good gun belt is absolutely essential.

In addition to the two suggestions above, I have and can recommend:

Gun Belts by The Belt Man

They offer a belt in 1 1/4" width, which I prefer, and also an option for 3/4" hole spacing, which makes achieving a good fit with/without your holster a bit easier, IMO.

Consider your gun belt as an investment in your ability to carry effectively and more comfortably.
I looked at the Belt Man website. Looks like he makes a very nice gun belt. It is a dual strap belt. A leather belt made from two straps will not stretch as much over time as a belt made from one thick strap. A two strap (and one strap) belt can be made more comfortable if the buckle end of the strap is skived (thinned) therefore reducing the bulk where the belt folds over the buckle.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have pants belts & gunbelts that look like pants belts, but I don't can't carry every day here. Check out Comptac belts. they are heavy leather & have a kydex piece to stiffen them. Get the 1" taper & it doesn't look so much like a gun belt. JMO, open carry unloaded, i just don't get.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
+1 on both the Wilderness Tactical and the Crossbreed. I wear mu Crossbreed Daily and the Wilderness on the weekends. The Crossbreed is more stable....A very well made belt...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This sudden onslaught of information is very valuable! I guess I will now be looking at gun belts with the intention of purchasing and not just browsing!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just recently started carrying and purchased a crossbreed super tuck IWB holster. I find that when I use the standard clips that came with it I find that they clip over my belt but then the tension of the clip is back on my pants so that when my pants are buttoned and zipped that is enough to keep my the holster and pants up with the belt able to freely move around(no weight on the belt). Tightening the belt pulls the holster a bit snugger to my side but still no weight of the holster is on the belt so I'm not quite sure what a gun belt is going to benefit over my standard belt. I can see how an OWB belt holster would benefit from a gun belt or a v clip or j clip where the weight is directed to the belt but not with the standard clips... Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Phillip

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I just recently started carrying and purchased a crossbreed super tuck IWB holster. I find that when I use the standard clips that came with it I find that they clip over my belt but then the tension of the clip is back on my pants so that when my pants are buttoned and zipped that is enough to keep my the holster and pants up with the belt able to freely move around(no weight on the belt). Tightening the belt pulls the holster a bit snugger to my side but still no weight of the holster is on the belt so I'm not quite sure what a gun belt is going to benefit over my standard belt. I can see how an OWB belt holster would benefit from a gun belt or a v clip or j clip where the weight is directed to the belt but not with the standard clips... Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Phillip
A good belt helps any holster carry, but less importent for IWB than OWB IME.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't carry concealed because of state laws. I am starting to open carry more because of state laws (they are trying to ban open carry in California, and considering the difficulty of getting a ccw, open carry is my only option. Not preferred, but better than nothing.)
Praise God for the Great State of Texas! Not sure what took me 34 years to get here, but the last 20 have been great! Just got my CHL in the mail today. Submitted 3/28...so not bad turn-around. Can't imagine living in a state that treats law-abiding American citizens like criminals to not be trusted.

RJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts