Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Don's GR uses a washer so that it stays in place, but does the Wolff GR (I think its Wolff) use a washer or no? Just wondering if any one had any experience with Wolff? Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No ,sorry i use a captive rod in my 9MM Tactical. No washers requierd. Its all part of the captive rod assembly.
I like it cause of the easyness of installation and disassembly. and tho Dons non captive rod weight is at 39.76 grams for the Tactical model- (And very effective) ,my captive rod is at a nice 45.55 grams.
no need to muscle in rod and springs. Just pop it in and she is ready to go.
But thats my personal preference and my comfort level.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I didn't want to waste a new post when I saw this. I just ordered my new guide rod and spring set up from pistolgear.com, can anyone give me any info on the install? Is it just as simple as pulling the old one out and putting in the new one? Also, I chose the #22 spring for now just because I don't really know much about my XD yet, was this a good choice?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the reply BeardXXXd, unfortunatley it won't open on the computer at my office, so I will have to try at home tonight.

Thanks again

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's really a pretty simple job, even without the tutorial. Just remember to insert the rod into the spring starting at the flat, double coil end. Use whichever washer you want (four come with it), I used the black one, not sure what it's made of.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Awesome! I was just a little nervous about this install because on my Glocks it's pretty straight forward, but I have heard all these things about the washer for the XD and I didn't know anything about it.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
A single washer drops into the slide just to effectively resize the hole in the muzzle end. After the washer is in, the install is the same as any recoil spring and rod arrangement (the only trick is to position the spring end towards the barrel since that is the direction it will want to slide during installation).

The Wolff design uses a custom spring that has the end flared out to a wider diameter to keep it contained in the slide.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, now back to my question :D , is the Wolff design a captive design or is it setup the same way as Don's GR? If so, are their any captive designs out their that are good? I want the DGR, but I'm afraid that if I have to field strip the pistol and I lose the washer. I know its paranoia but I'm just trying to figure out my options. THanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I thought of that same concern, but I will just throw a couple extra washers in what ever gear I am using on my trip, or in the field.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts