Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what is the weight difference between Dons stainless steel Guide Rod and the Canyon Creek Tungsten Guide Rod for XDm-40?

I know that Dons SS guide rod is 3oz. but what is the tungsten?

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the Pistol Gear site it says that the Don's Guide Rod for the XDm is 2 ounces. I bought one and although I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh it, that seems about right. He doesn't give a weight for the fat tungsten rod but I have heard between 3 and 4 ounces. The price difference is very significant ($20 vs $80) so I have not purchased the tungsten rod yet...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. I was wondering if the tungsten was worth the extra $60 for what i use the gun for. I will just go with Dons. Thanks again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm very happy with the DGR. It isn't dramatic but it is noticeable - adds a bit of stability. I did have to put a slight chamfer on the back edge of the flange. Otherwise, it rides up in the barrel notch and creates an interference when you try to field strip the slide. I chucked the rod up in my drill press and just barely radiused the back (sharp) edge of the flange with a small fine file. See the post(s) in the Don's Guide Rod area of the forum.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/dons-guide-rod-forum/76633-new-stainless-steel-guide-rod-problem.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i read that other post and it doesnt seem like that big of an issue, but i was just wondering if Don has fixed this problem yet?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know if he is chamfering the rods yet. I really isn't that big of a deal. I just didn't like having to whack the back of the slide with a mallet or the heel of my hand to get it to release forward and come off...

Piece of cake to just knock the rod's rear edge off with a file.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dons guide rod weights 55.1 grams over the 21.0 grams oem stock part hope this helps 1/2 of the origonal post question

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks that helps. ive made up my mind what GR i will get. im gonna go with Dons over canyon creek because of the price.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Apples and Oranges. If you compare 2 different weights the results will be different. If your intended result is less muzzle flip then you will need a tungsten rod.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Apples and Oranges. If you compare 2 different weights the results will be different. If your intended result is less muzzle flip then you will need a tungsten rod.
Are you on a crusade to dig up old posts? This is a very old post as are the others you have commented on.

don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts