Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most recent XD purchase, a like new 4" Service, .40 S&W, (I don't think it had more than 100 rnds throught it) has experienced an occasional failure to feed, both with it's original guide rod and the replacement Don's rod and 22# spring ordered from Pistol Gear. I'm using the same ammo and magazines that my other 3 .40 XD's perform flawlessly with. I have polished the feed ramp. When the FTF occurs, the round is sitting in the lips of the magazine, nose against the feed ramp and slide against the rear of the cartridge. A very slight rearward motion of the slide will allow the round to tip nose up and then chamber. The incidence of this occuring seems to be diminishing as I have run several hundred rounds through the pistol. I'm convinced this is the break-in period some XD's seem to require, however, was wondering if a lighter guide rod spring may allow the action to operate faster and overcome this breakin period quicker. None of my other XD's experienced this problem--2 new out of the box and one slightly used when purchased. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Could it be the magazine? Is the round hanging up in the lips of the magazine, if so, a slight teaking of those lips might work.

Raymond

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one (of four XD's) exhibits the occasional FTFeed, with most (haven't tried all 12 of my high cap mags) of my magazines. The mag's and ammo all feed fine in the other XD's.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Might have been the reason it was traded in by the first owner, but any gun problem can be fixed.
If the mags work fine in your other guns then it is most likely not the mags. As for the spring I think you might want a heaver spring to put a little more force behind the slide when it's closing. The lighter spring will let the slide come back faster, but then it will have less energy going forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts