Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about the modifications to the guide rod on the XD service and I have to admit I probably do not know enough to be confused.

When I look at the stock XD rod I notice that it seems to be two sizes. when I look at Don's guide rod, it seems to be one.

I also notice that Don's has a loose spring with washers (what are they for?)

Why would a person switch out springs? What kind of difference would it make?

I find the slide on the XD to be stiff now....what would happen if I changed springs?

How hard is it to do?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The captive guide rod's have been known to fail :shock:
The one piece Dons will never fail.
The single spring replace the spring and buffer the washer goes inside the slide it is very easy to change.The open end off the spring goes towards the washer.
A lighter stock is 18# will make the slide work easier but will increase felt recoil .A stiffer 20# spring will make the slide harder to rack(Pull back )But reduces the felt recoil 8)
Lots of info found in Don' forum
Here is a link
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10159

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dons guide rod is a one piece solid steel guide rod and a seperate spring.
you can get different spring weights to go along with the new guide rod, some people say the felt recoil is different with a heavier spring. the washer just holds the spring in the gun.
factory spring is 18#, if you get a 16#spring the slide will not be as stiff.

I am not an expert on this subject, maybe Don himself will bless us with his words of wisdom. but I hope this helps a little.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The link above is to my FAQ (thanks) where all question are answered.

Any questions not not answered in the FAQ I will consult my Magic 8-Ball and get back to you. "Signs point to yes". 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well don I just sent off for your rod and spring.

Should I dremel the rod (using polishing rouge) to a high gloss?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
teh rod comes looking chrome. at least the one I got did.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I always polish my rod(s). :wink:

Sometimes there is some texture that doesn't want to go away but they all come with a pretty good buff/shine. I try to get rid of any tooling marks on the tip, and most of them on the head end even though that will get scored up with use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts