Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After appox. 600 rounds thru the pistol the guide rode came apart. Having problem breaking the pistol down to remove it. Any suggestions. It will not let the take down lever turn all the way up.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
ajamesp51 is getting to be a pro at this and will talk you thru it. He will be around shortly.

There seems to be a rash of this lately. Those wondering if it could happen to them can inspect the end of their factory rod. The fat end is threaded on to the shaft, then welded and ground back down. If they had good weld penetration then you will not see any sign of the center shaft diameter. If you can see more than half of the circle then I would start to wonder (purely a judgment call). Ideally no center cricle should be visable.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I realize that no one comes here and posts a thread saying "i haven't had any problems with my guide rod. just wanted to let you know. thanks", but this kinda bothers me. Still, I suppose the # of bad rods compared to good ones is statistically insignificant... :?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
i seems to be a recent phenominon. All the more reason to send Don your money for a new GR

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
yeah, but then there's the whole subby thing, what with no solid GR.

subby owners get the shaft when it comes to rods. and barrels. :(

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Don thats a scary statement but true 3 others have fallen appart that are not members here. I think the thing that is common is that they are all the 40 cal. remember how I was wrong at first and thought they messed up rangers barrel becuse it did not have the half round cut on the bottom of the barrel. Well I still think that design can lead to problems. The guide rod are made to move front to back, but without the half round cut in the barrel the guide rod is free to move to the left or right , then you combine them with the front to back motions the thing just gives. This is a thoery but I have not heard of a 9mm pistol loosing the assembly and it has something to hold the guide rod.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
But when the takedown lever is rotated forward the guide rod is lifted off of the barrel lug/recess and rests only on the flat of the takedown lever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny thing, before I ordered my Don's guide rod a while back, I emailed SA and asked if they had any issues with broken guide rods. They said that didn't know of any broken guide rod issues. Maybe they need to read this forum. Seems like something they need to address. I just noticed above that this has only happened with the 40's.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Yeah, I noticed some wear (very minor wear considering the guide rod is solid) on my Don's Guide Rod where it rests against the barrel. I think my weld was weak to begain with in regards to my original Recoil Spring Assembly. I could actually see the inner diameter of were it threads together the first time I took the gun down after shooting it. I would guess (only guess cause I don't know **** about guns compared to some of these poeple here), that not having that cup in the barrel combined with the already weak weld would cause a malfunction. The back of my recoil spring assembly was pretty scratched up from being used. I am looking at my new unused recoil spring assembly and I am thinking I am NEVER gonna use this one. i don't like how it looks. I'll have pics posted of it this evening. I'd do it now, but teh gun store just called and told me my new holster is in, so I am off ot get it like a littel kid goin to a toy store. SWEET!

EVERYBODY: Get the Don's Rod. Hell, I don't care if he gets money from it or not (No offense Don, just want them to know I am not talking up your product to make you a profit). But it makes for a more reliable weapon! And its cheap!

DON: I am not buying a SC XDd till there is a guide rod for it! And if there is gonna be a SC XD guid erod for me to buy, i would perfer to buy it from you : )

·
Registered
467 Posts
Now I know I'm really glad I bought one of Don's. It may be an anomolgy, just a few in a production line (or it may be worse), but I don't think I'll worry anymore. I only put about 500 rounds with the stock, and didn't notice any problems, but I think I'll take a look at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading this post I think I will order Dons's Guide Rod and a Wolf spring for my XD9. One question which spring weight is best. Are there advanges of one over another?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a DGR and actually had it in my hands before I even had the gun, so when I first got my XD40 I took it to the range, put some rounds down range with the stock gear, then swapped for a DGR. The 18# (approx factory weight) works great for WWB, and the 24# works awesome at reducing muzzle flip on heavier loads. All in all, I'd rather not have to worry about the stock rod and spend the little bit of money on a Don's to know the thing isn't going to fail on me.

Matthew

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i will have pics soon, I had too much fun playing with my new holster!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was the other one who had this issue. My father-in-law got me a Don's guide rod and is shipping it out, but I still can't get the $#^#^@^@!! thing apart. The takedown lever will NOT go all the way up, therefore i can't get the slide off. I am still livid about this. What if this had happened while defending myself or my family?

anyway, if you figure out how to get yours apart, please post.

CWB

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
terminus- try removing the takedown lever completely. Then carefully, witha pair of needle nose pliers, see if you can twist the big spring out of the front of the gun.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Terminus-Est By the CWB and your father in law I will make a guess that I mailed you the dons guide rod and I also installed your night sights although I dont know if it was the Trijicons or XS. Give me a call or pm me your phone number with a time to call and I will talk you though getting the old one out. and the new rod should be to you within the next two days.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We should compile a list of people with bad xd40 guide rods and email springfield. I dont know how well they track this when you call for parts. my packing slip just said defective. But oh well I ordered a Dons Today!

Thank You James!

·
Registered
8 Posts
ajamesp51, yes, that's me. Much appreciated on sending the rod on short notice. Those XS Big Dot sights are outstanding. They are the fastest sights I've ever tired on a pistol. I can't envision anything faster than that unless it is a Docter Optics or something similar. At night it is very easy to put the "dot" on the "i'.

I sent a PM. Thanks for the offer to help on this.

CWB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts