Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to say hellow to the board to start!

I have been a member for a while but have not posted any untill I saw this today while cleaning after the range.

Let me start by saying that I am NOT a fire arms pro by any means!
This XD-40 is the first gun I have ever owned. So far I say :D

I was cleaning after the range today and I noticed what looks like a defect??? at the end of the guide rod..
I have over 2000 rounds through it with a few issues upon loading durring a clip full. Some will not fully enter the chamber! Ithink that this is called FTE= failer to enter??is this right???

any who back to the issue at hand!
The end of the rod that seats against the barrel looks as if it has a crack..
the rod has a large end to it and it looks like where the two connect is broken!!!
can this be possible? I was trying to see how the part was made and I can't tell!!

I have a few pics so if you have ANY info if this is "normal" or NOT please help me! It makes me nervous.

the red outlines what I am asking about!

Thanks for ANY help you can provide!
Jp.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cant really see it. Would a little crack like that cause these problems? Try to see if you can move the pieces where the crack is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand what you are asking?

the "crack" is like 1/2 of the head.
it is the black half circle right above the red line.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is it like a chip? Like a piece got chipped off? Yeah I think that may be your problem. As if that piece chipped off where it touches the barrel and now its acting weird.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
If you can twist the peices then there is a problem. How they make the assembly is that they take the long pod peice screw the cap on and weld the pieces together then polish the end. Sometimes a sliver will fall out and stay together and other times the assembly can fall apart. You can call springfiled armoy up and tell them your problem and they should replace the rod. Or in the future you may want to pick up a dons guide rod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea it looks as if the rod "small" is comming through the head "big end"

I can not turn the one independantly of the other but if I apply a "side load" to the head the crack gets larger!! I am talking a .001"'s maybee .002"

can I still shoot the gun?
IF need be? indruder in home!!

How do I go about telling them my issue?
I may not even be calling it the right name!
Is this a normal problem? I tried to search and got nothing...
I don't want to sound paranoid but I have NO idea, this is ALL ALL new to me!
Thanks
Jp.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
call Springfield Armroy at
1-800-680-6866

tell them that your Guide rod assembly for your xd is cracking at the end. And looks like it is falling appart.

You can shoot with this rod, but most likely it will fall apart. if it comes appart in the pistol you can give me a call and I will talk you through getting everything apart. I told SA at the Shot show about this but some of the SA staff were interested other blew me off. Make them replace the part.

Oh the skinny rod art wont come through the cap but can unscrew and come appart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS ajamesp51
I will call first thing in the on monday!
I will also post the reply I get from SA.

Can this be "up-graded" so it doesn't happen again?
better components can be found where??

This makes me a bit uneasy about other internals..
are their other issues wich MAY become an issue, that I should look for!

I bought the XD new with only the test shot fired
and I do the best I can to mantain this unit!

I see you are a sponcer do you run a fire arms related company?

Jp.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I sent you a PM, look above the thread section next to your profile. On the main section is Dons forum section for the Dons Guide rod.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
It is poor weld penetration on the factory rod. They weld the pieces together then grind it down flat. They end up grinding all of the weld off in some cases. I have a thought that they would be better off with Loctite and no welding or grinding. If you have access to some of the wicking Loctites I would bet it fixes any problems.
I hate to sell guide rods based on fears rather than the benefits, but this failure won't happen with any of the aftermarket guide rods (is that fair enough :wink: ).

If Springfield is reading this, they need to look further than the cost of a possible failure. That may work for the automotive industry, but it is a piss-poor choice in the firearms industry. They need to look at the customers perception of failure for a carry weapon, and the effect of that on reputation and sales.

Ok, I'll try to mellow out now. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
271 is good, but is not intended to wick into assembled threads. If you can unthread the end, then you could do so and degrease and reassemble with the Loctite. Short of that you could try a drop on the gap and work it as much as possible to try to get the Loctite down into the threads. I dont remember the part number but the "green stuff" is for wicking into threads.
If you are not seeing the full circle as shown in the pictures, the weld should be OK. If you see the full circle I would be suspicious.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So your rod is quite a bit different from this one in that it can be completely disassembled right? So when the slide is locked back, instead of seeing that thing that looks like what you see at the end of rail road tracks, you see just a nice smooth stainless steel rod of pure lovin? I think I will buy your hot rod tomorrow night. By the way I can see the full black circle on mine clear as day. Its not completely centered on the center rod though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So its the rod the spring and the washer? Nice! 8) WAIT Theres no washer? What size washer do I need? Oh wait I guess it does come with one. Sorry from the newb!

·
Registered
380 Posts
A few of us have had this problem...some more catastrophic than others...just get a replacement from springfield...and but it away...buy a dons and dont ever look back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts