Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with a change in pistol accuracy after changing guide rods? I have a tactical compact XD45 that I replaced the stock guide rod and spring with the stainless steel one and a Wolf stock spring. Before this, I was able to get a 4" grouping dead center at 25 yards. I also ran this in IDPA and got at least as good as I was used to with my FN. After changing the guide rod and spring, my IDPA outing was a disaster. I was all over the place, getting several failure to neutralize penalties. I took it to the range was can still get pretty tight groups, but it is high and right.

I would assume it is me, except I have never had this problem before. I don't think it was just a bad day either. I read somewhere in a gun review that the reviewer changed out the polymer guide rod (I think it was for a Glock) for a steel version without any accuracy issues. Is the guide rod an integral part of the overall accuracy of the pistol?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Guide rod function is only to guide and contain a spring that returns the slide back into battery and retards the rearward movement at difefrent speeds. By changing this spring/rod combo, you can change the recoil impulse of the gun and that in turn can be interpreted differently for each person.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with a change in pistol accuracy after changing guide rods? I have a tactical compact XD45 that I replaced the stock guide rod and spring with the stainless steel one and a Wolf stock spring. Before this, I was able to get a 4" grouping dead center at 25 yards. I also ran this in IDPA and got at least as good as I was used to with my FN. After changing the guide rod and spring, my IDPA outing was a disaster. I was all over the place, getting several failure to neutralize penalties. I took it to the range was can still get pretty tight groups, but it is high and right.

I would assume it is me, except I have never had this problem before. I don't think it was just a bad day either. I read somewhere in a gun review that the reviewer changed out the polymer guide rod (I think it was for a Glock) for a steel version without any accuracy issues. Is the guide rod an integral part of the overall accuracy of the pistol?

You need to grip the pistol the same exact way every time you skin it. You would be amazed what a different grip will do. The sights will be lined up different, new muscles will be used to get it aligned to your eye and the trigger pull will be different.

Practice a consistant grip and you will be just fine.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Is the guide rod an integral part of the overall accuracy of the pistol?
It is as ichy stated ... It only guides the spring.

Put the old spring back in it, and try that.
The difference might be causing a cycling problem that is showing up as a loss of accuracy, when in reality, it's a change in the guns recoil, and your control of said recoil.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Only thing I can come up with is if the new rod won't let the slide go fully to battery.

A bind would do that, but I "assume" you would have checked for that.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Only thing I can come up with is if the new rod won't let the slide go fully to battery.

A bind would do that, but I "assume" you would have checked for that.
LOL
Hadn't thought of that, good point.
Learn something everyday :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts