Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my range today to squeeze off a few rounds before work. While I was there some kid in the stall next to me started having problems. It was pretty obvious he was a bit of a noob and had rented the gun, so he went to the range staff for some help. While he steped out, I poked my head over to find a Glock 21! The staff came in to check things out expecting to find the kid had just be limp wristing but it continued to jam on them. So they stripped the gun, put it back together, and it still jammed. Now they got serious, they thoughly cleaned the gun to no avail! Finally they decided to grab him another gun because they just could not get the Glock to function.

Now I know its a range gun and it doesn't get the TLC and regular cleaning it deserves, but even still I got a front row seat to the failure of a Glock. Just goes to show that no gun is completely bulletproof.

Also, as the 3 member staff walked back and forth trying to fix the problem, they all commented on how great my XD 40 tactical was. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
masterofg3 said:
See how amazed people get when they actually see a Glock malfunction? :wink:
I'm not about to deny that the Glock is a great gun and malfunctions rarely ever happen. Just get tired of people saying "Glocks never break." Anything mechanical has a chance for failure.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Glocks are great pistols, but I think they are not a good choice for noobs since the only safety is on the trigger. Considering there is no manual safety or grip safety, a Glock should only be handled by seasoned shooters IMHO.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, eventually everything will give up the ghost sooner or later. That being said, cheap range re-loads and a "newbie" opens up the (?) mark considerably.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The early Glock 21s had something of a reputation as jam-a-matics. I'd hate to see a current production one choking on factory ammo, though. There is no excuse for that outside of a defective or broken part.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ken_mays said:
The early Glock 21s had something of a reputation as jam-a-matics.
Makes sense. I'm not totaly up on my knowledge of Glocks but this one didn't have a tactical rail. If I remember right that means its a first generation.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ive seen more Glocks jam at matches than any other gun.

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
I know it's not about the Glock but when I was up at the mountains having one of our big shoots with some friends my friends girl kept jaming my XD. The only thing I could figure was she was limp-wristing it. Everytime I would come over and clear the jam and shoot one off no problem I'd hand the gun back to her and she'd fire and jam it again. weird.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I witnessed a G19 jam this weekend at the range. It was a girl shooting it and Im not sure if it was her or the gun. Her husband/boyfriend/malefriend/whatever had to come over and clear it for her because she couldnt force the slide back. This makes me think that limpwristing, et al, is a definite possibility.

I personally think that anything mechanical can break/jam/foul for damn near any reason. Its all a matter of tolerances and the person owning and using it. Every single gun made is slightly different. The difference in quality from the low end to the high end is how tight those tolerances are and how consistent the factory is in staying at the center of them.

We wont even get into the multitude of effects user error can have on any particular handgun...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just did my CCW class last sunday and I was amazed how many glocks people had there. Out of ~25 people in the class, there were at least 15 glocks. Only 2 XDs that I saw. One was mine, one belonged to someone that also brought his glock.

When I was gun shopping, I knew that whatever gun I bought I was going to carry. I decided against a glock because I didn't think it would make for a safe n00b carry weapon. I went for the XD because of it's reputation and added grip safety. Looks like that line of thinking is fairly unique.

UD.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
UberDuper said:
I just did my CCW class last sunday and I was amazed how many glocks people had there. Out of ~25 people in the class, there were at least 15 glocks. Only 2 XDs that I saw. One was mine, one belonged to someone that also brought his glock.

When I was gun shopping, I knew that whatever gun I bought I was going to carry. I decided against a glock because I didn't think it would make for a safe n00b carry weapon. I went for the XD because of it's reputation and added grip safety. Looks like that line of thinking is fairly unique.

UD.
Not really, Its the same reason I bought the XD. I've been in and out of Law Enforcement since 86 and most of my friends and fellow Officers consider me to be a bit of a gun nut but I dont like the Glocks. The XD is my first piece of combat tupperware and I purchased it for the same reasons you did. The only reason most peoople buy Glocks is because they see them in the holsters of Police Officers everywhere, that said it is not a weapon I feel comfortable with. I was trained first on the 1911 and am fully comfortable carrying cocked and locked but the Idea of cocked and unlocked still bothers me. Of course if my dept ever decided to go with the Glock I would carry it but I would not feel right about it and would probably request to keep my Beretta.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Honestly, I would have considered getting a Glock if it had a grip safety. To me the Glock safety is no safety at all. I mean, the safety is the trigger..hmm. I just see myself going to tuck it away, and the trigger getting snagged on my shirt or something and BANG. If something brushes up against the gun wrong, BANG. The glock people say that if you keep your finger off the trigger that everything will be ok. The only safety is the one between your head. Blah blah. I wonder where they came up w/ the term that "I've been Glocked". Too many loose ends with only a trigger safety.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Bang. Hear that flutter in the reverbrations? That was a pink slip floating into the room.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't tell if he actually shot himself or not.
If he did, he's got some amazing self control. I wish the vid was better resolution.

UD.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts