Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a thread questioning what they did to my XDs, blaming the recall for the problems with failure to return to battery causing off center light primer strikes. However, in this video the girl is having the same issue. Although, it never failed on me pre recall even one handed weak hand. Maybe I was just holding it tighter pre-recall.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3YtZcSxZ4

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can't help wonder if it isn't a tight chamber on these guns (which aids in accuracy). I had a similar problem with an aftermarket bbl on my G21 but not the factory bbl. and with reloads as well only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm considering an XDs 9 for cc. This was an informative video but, if as you suggest, the issue was the shooter (who was very accurate btw), what could she have been doing to cause this? Why would a weak grip, if that's what you suspect, only affect the action of the slide stop on empty mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not an expert but I would bet it's the round. I've been kinda watching these threads and the issues I have seen are with range ammo. But I could be very wrong. I'm sure the hive mind will kick in if we keep the thread near the top.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm considering an XDs 9 for cc. This was an informative video but, if as you suggest, the issue was the shooter (who was very accurate btw), what could she have been doing to cause this? Why would a weak grip, if that's what you suspect, only affect the action of the slide stop on empty mag?

In her first video it happened during the middle of the magazine not only on an empty magazine. Mine does it during the middle of the magazine as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Her hands are moving more than they should with the recoil, which slows down the relative speed of the slide, causing the problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So could it be that she anticipates the failure on the last round and is weakening her grip, thus causing it?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
The XDs 45 is a machine of its own. Hard to handle for some. 100% of the "problem" XDs i buy work perfect for me (up to 4 now). I do however have large hands and a very slow and tight trigger pull. i recommend a 9mm to everyone that has a problem with the XDs45.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The XDs 45 is a machine of its own. Hard to handle for some. 100% of the "problem" XDs i buy work perfect for me (up to 4 now). I do however have large hands and a very slow and tight trigger pull. i recommend a 9mm to everyone that has a problem with the XDs45.
Hey Mike... Do any of your "problem" guns have a history of not feeding hollow points? Meaning no problem with ball ammo, just with hollow points like Winchester PDX and Federal hydra shocks?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Hey Mike... Do any of your "problem" guns have a history of not feeding hollow points? Meaning no problem with ball ammo, just with hollow points like Winchester PDX and Federal hydra shocks?

Haven't put HPs through all of them. 2 of them I have and they ran fine. What does your feed ramp look like? I've polished all of mine to a mirror.

Sent from my skyleash.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I haven't done anything to the ramp. No noticeable burrs or anything out of the ordinary.

Was going to blast a few hundred rounds of cheap tula ammo through it to break it in some more if its not sold before my next trip to the outdoor range.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't done anything to the ramp. No noticeable burrs or anything out of the ordinary.

Was going to blast a few hundred rounds of cheap tula ammo through it to break it in some more if its not sold before my next trip to the outdoor range.

Don't judge your xds based on shooting Tula. I'm not bashing Tula, if your XDS likes it that's great. I have 2 friends with XDS 45, one of the 2 pistols has feed issues with Tula the other and mine don't. But all 3 feed and eject brass (either factory or my reloads) with no problems.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't judge your xds based on shooting Tula. I'm not bashing Tula, if your XDS likes it that's great. I have 2 friends with XDS 45, one of the 2 pistols has feed issues with Tula the other and mine don't. But all 3 feed and eject brass (either factory or my reloads) with no problems.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific...

I have never run any Tula ammo through my Springfields or 1911s. I've only ever run Tula through my Hi Point 45. I figured, cheap ammo, cheap gun... The reason I mentioned running the Tula in the XDs is twofold. One is I figured the steel cases would put more wear on the gun and two is that I'm tired of wasting good ammo on a gun that doesn't work properly.

I bit the bullet (haha...) and went to the range today at lunch time. The new 7 round magazines Springfield sent me fixed the nose down feed issues, however I still have the nose up feed issues with any type of ammo in the 7 round magazines. I have the same nose up failure running Hydrashocks and Winchester PDX ammo from both 5 and 7 round magazines.

So far the only reliable combinations of magazine/ammo I have found for my XDs is:

5 rd mags -
230 grain ball (WWB, CBC, Federal and Berry's Bullets handloads)
200 grain LSWC handloads
230 grain Hornady XTP handloads

7 rd mags - Nothing feeds reliably.

The portion of the feed ramp that resides in the frame seems to be at too steep of an angle causing the nose of the bullet to get hung. Being that 7 round magazines sit about .010" lower in the magwell this problem is exasperated causing the angle to steepen that much more. This is why some people have so many and varied nose up problems depending on bullet shape and how well the magazine fits. The lower ramp needs to be cut and polished. I was able to duplicate this problem 8 times during the course of firing 21 rounds (7 rounds x 3 mags). If you hold the gun at just the right angle you can see where the wall of the case is wedged right up against the lower ramp and the nose is firmly planted in the top of the mouth of the chamber.

Hornady XTP HP bullets have a tapered nose which allows the upward force of the round to push the nose against the top of the mouth of the chamber. The same goes for the LSWC bullets. If you rack them in slow-mo you can see this happening. The tapered nose acts as a lever and pushes the round into place to properly chamber. This is why these hollow points work, but the more round/flat nosed shaped bullets no not. The hollowed portion of the non XTP bullet crashes into the chamber squarely enough to cause a stoppage.

Ball ammo works because the bullet passes the center of the circumference of the nose allowing the bullet to 'roll' across the mouth of the chamber and fall down into place like it should.

The tolerances are so close, that when you add the extra depth with a 7 round magazine between the bottom of the ramp and the top of the magazine that the angle is just right to get the nose of the 230 grain ball bullet to pitch itself perfectly into the tip of the mouth of the chamber which is why they jam like hollow points in the 5 round mags.

A few thousands of adjustment to the ramp would have a huge impact on the angle at which the bullet approaches the chamber and correct both of these issues.

I spent about half an hour on the phone with Springfield CS - I could have been speaking greek... I don't think the lady knows what a feed ramp even is. She said she couldn't guarantee they would work the ramp for me. I even offered to pay them to do it but she still refused to guarantee me they would do what I ask. I've ramped and throated a few 1911's in my day, I guess it's time I figure out how to do it for the XDs, because Springfield is no help. They don't even understand the problem, let alone how to fix it.

I know this is long winded, but it's a somewhat complex problem. I hope this post can help others with malfunctions understand what is going on inside their pistols.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific...

I have never run any Tula ammo through my Springfields or 1911s. I've only ever run Tula through my Hi Point 45. I figured, cheap ammo, cheap gun... The reason I mentioned running the Tula in the XDs is twofold. One is I figured the steel cases would put more wear on the gun and two is that I'm tired of wasting good ammo on a gun that doesn't work properly.

I bit the bullet (haha...) and went to the range today at lunch time. The new 7 round magazines Springfield sent me fixed the nose down feed issues, however I still have the nose up feed issues with any type of ammo in the 7 round magazines. I have the same nose up failure running Hydrashocks and Winchester PDX ammo from both 5 and 7 round magazines.

So far the only reliable combinations of magazine/ammo I have found for my XDs is:

5 rd mags -
230 grain ball (WWB, CBC, Federal and Berry's Bullets handloads)
200 grain LSWC handloads
230 grain Hornady XTP handloads

7 rd mags - Nothing feeds reliably.

The portion of the feed ramp that resides in the frame seems to be at too steep of an angle causing the nose of the bullet to get hung. Being that 7 round magazines sit about .010" lower in the magwell this problem is exasperated causing the angle to steepen that much more. This is why some people have so many and varied nose up problems depending on bullet shape and how well the magazine fits. The lower ramp needs to be cut and polished. I was able to duplicate this problem 8 times during the course of firing 21 rounds (7 rounds x 3 mags). If you hold the gun at just the right angle you can see where the wall of the case is wedged right up against the lower ramp and the nose is firmly planted in the top of the mouth of the chamber.

Hornady XTP HP bullets have a tapered nose which allows the upward force of the round to push the nose against the top of the mouth of the chamber. The same goes for the LSWC bullets. If you rack them in slow-mo you can see this happening. The tapered nose acts as a lever and pushes the round into place to properly chamber. This is why these hollow points work, but the more round/flat nosed shaped bullets no not. The hollowed portion of the non XTP bullet crashes into the chamber squarely enough to cause a stoppage.

Ball ammo works because the bullet passes the center of the circumference of the nose allowing the bullet to 'roll' across the mouth of the chamber and fall down into place like it should.

The tolerances are so close, that when you add the extra depth with a 7 round magazine between the bottom of the ramp and the top of the magazine that the angle is just right to get the nose of the 230 grain ball bullet to pitch itself perfectly into the tip of the mouth of the chamber which is why they jam like hollow points in the 5 round mags.

A few thousands of adjustment to the ramp would have a huge impact on the angle at which the bullet approaches the chamber and correct both of these issues.

I spent about half an hour on the phone with Springfield CS - I could have been speaking greek... I don't think the lady knows what a feed ramp even is. She said she couldn't guarantee they would work the ramp for me. I even offered to pay them to do it but she still refused to guarantee me they would do what I ask. I've ramped and throated a few 1911's in my day, I guess it's time I figure out how to do it for the XDs, because Springfield is no help. They don't even understand the problem, let alone how to fix it.

I know this is long winded, but it's a somewhat complex problem. I hope this post can help others with malfunctions understand what is going on inside their pistols.
Thanks for the detailed information. 99%+ of the ammo that goes through my 45's is my own reloads. 200gr LSWC, 225gr LTC, 200gr Berrys RSFP and TFP, 230 Berrys RN, 200 and 230gr XTP's. All of those with various powder loads, OAL's, crimps, etc.

Factory SD HP loads that I carry rotate (depending on availability) XTP's both 200 and 230, Critical Defense, HST, and preferably Gold Dot short barrel. All of which feed perfectly from 5 round mags.

I have a 7 round mag at the house I haven't even taken out of the package yet because of reports like yours. I am very interested to know if you do a ramp and throat job, please be sure and post about your results.

I really got the 7 rounder to use with the 45 4.0 when they start selling them. On that note it will be interesting to see if the 4.0 has the same problems with the 7 rounders. Maybe the extra weight and fractionally longer cycle time will improve feeding.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can see the slightly longer cycle time combined with the additional mass of the slide having a positive effect on this scenario.

Ill keep you posted... Probably should move this conversation to my original 7 round mag thread. I don't know if I'll get to it tonight though, have to get the top end of my engine put back together before this weekend. Need a convertible more than another carry gun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts