Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a xd9 to my line up. So far I love the way it shoots but it has a couple issues. The grip safety to my understanding is suppose to function as a anti racking lock and a trigger safety. Am I wrong on this? Well mine fires while it is not depressed. I wanted to test it so I held it below the safety and pulled the trigger. It fired and jammed the slide about half way open. Couldnt have been good on internals. The other problem is failure to eject. I was using 115 gr. win whitebox ammo like i run in all my other pistolas. I like it better than my sig pro 40 but the sig has never fumbled the ball like this.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Tuco said:
I just added a xd9 to my line up. So far I love the way it shoots but it has a couple issues. The grip safety to my understanding is suppose to function as a anti racking lock and a trigger safety. Am I wrong on this? Well mine fires while it is not depressed. I wanted to test it so I held it below the safety and pulled the trigger. It fired and jammed the slide about half way open. Couldnt have been good on internals. The other problem is failure to eject. I was using 115 gr. win whitebox ammo like i run in all my other pistolas. I like it better than my sig pro 40 but the sig has never fumbled the ball like this.
YIKES!! if that happened, something is seriously wrong with your pistol. The grip safety physically blocks your sear from dropping and releasing the firing pin. The only thing I can think of that would allow this to happen is if your sear has been altered/deffective, and is not being blocked by the grip safety. You need to unload it, put it in a locked container, and get it back to springfield, or a gunsmith to be examined.

Raymond

·
Registered
354 Posts
? :?

I doubt you actually fired it without the grip safety depressed. The pistol would have flipped out of your hand.

It sounds like you "let off" of it (grip safety) while the slide was cycling.

I personally love the grip safety B/C I can twirl the gun on my finger w/ one in the chamber, OLD WEST STYLE :D

J/K

Seriously, I have tried multiple times to fire my XD, without the GS depressed and have never been successful. The biggest safety you have is between your ears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 9mm willis, its not going to fly out of my hands and trust me i wasnt holding the grip safety. I can do it while dry firing as well. What about the failure to eject? Anyone have that problem?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
TheWillis said:
? :?

I doubt you actually fired it without the grip safety depressed. The pistol would have flipped out of your hand.

It sounds like you "let off" of it (grip safety) while the slide was cycling.

I personally love the grip safety B/C I can twirl the gun on my finger w/ one in the chamber, OLD WEST STYLE :D

J/K

Seriously, I have tried multiple times to fire my XD, without the GS depressed and have never been successful. The biggest safety you have is between your ears.
That's not actually true.. I went out one day and tried to grip my pistol as innapropriatly as I could to test the "limp wristing" theory.. and while I did hurt my wrist, and almost hit myself in the face with the tail end of the pistol.. I was able to do it.

This sounds like a mechanical problem.

Raymond

(p.s. My tests were a painful waste of time.. I misunderstood the difference between "limp wristing," and "having a piss poor grip."

Raymond

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is NOT good, you should send it back to Springfield, and in a letter demanding a whole new gun all together. Also have them pay for shipping BOTH ways, since this could potentially be a HUGE safety hazard leading to a catastrophic event. Their Lawyers wouldnt like to hear about this............... :twisted:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I got a lemon. I will demand to be made silent VP of SA or else I will sue for $5.73 and a pepsi. Thats pretty disappointing. I just bought it today and put 200 rounds through it and had 1 failure to eject for every 2 clips shot or so. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Either some one has "worked" your sear or your grip safety. Does the grip safety still have its springy feel Ie it pops back out when you depress it. The way the safety works it that it physically gets part of it self under the sear so it cant go down. Sounds like some one polished something and the sear will slip down off the safety.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled it apart to see what the problem is. It seems like everything is working proper, there is just enough play between the seer and safety to relace the firing pin.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Just wondering if you are the same Tuco from the Mosin Nagant website?

Either way welcome to the forum and send that XD back to Springfield Armory. PRONTO :!:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tuco from Mosin Nagant will be getting an email. This name is trademarked copy writted and patented. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
wow, you will have to be sending out a lot of e-mails to a lot of Tucos then... type it into a search engine!

·
Registered
112 Posts
wow I didn't know a name can be patented; which is it ... U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issues a utility patent, design patent, and plant patent. Usually they are for inventions such as hmmm a springfield XD...
Next a copyright is for artistic works uch as a publication or music or software.... tangabile form
So it might be a trademarked however since you can trademark names, logos, identification marks , if it is a common name can someone stop you from using your name ?
Now thats funny your screenname is Tuco , but you say you will be emailing Tuco from Mosin Nagant, why to tell him you are using his name ? Doesn't make sense you troll.....
"Yeah my grip saftey doesn't work "... hmmmm did you buy it used or new? I am sure when they were doing quality control at the factory they said "hmm the grip saftey doesn't work, lets ship it anyway." Next if you bought it second hand most people would identify the pistol as "as is" and sign an agreement that the pistol needs to be repaired, to limit liability......however why would someone sell a pistol that comes with a lifetime warantee in that state , they would get a lot more if they sold it in safe and operable state. Next you state you took it apart, well I can see a little error in you posting here " Pulled it apart to see what the problem is. It seems like everything is working proper, there is just enough play between the seer and safety to relace the firing pin." Other than typos which we all are guilty of , you stated that it seems like everything is in working order but there is just enough play , which is it working order or malfunctioning? Works or doesn't work ....
SO I SAY BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Tuco... "Tuco is a registered trademark of Tuco Industries LLC DBA Tuco"
..... I was curious as to whether the gun was used or new as well. Which is it?

Either way I'm sure SA will take care of it. If it is new I'm sure SA will pay shipping both ways. If is is not and it has been JR.Gunsmithed and screwed up it is your responsibility to pay for shipping and have it taken care of.

Keep in mind that the grip safety does not have to be ALL the way in. If it is in just a but it will allow the pistol to fire. You don't have to hold it down with 5 tons of force just a teeny little bit of pressure disengages it.

As for SA's legal responsibility...they have none. Even if you shot yourself while NOT depressing the grip safety SA has no liability to you other than a warranty that covers the pistol. It says so right in your gun manual in black and white.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lighten up tight asses. It was a simple joke about a screen name. Tuco is my dogs name.
The gun was brand new. I would make a video for you guys that think im full of crap, but I took it to a gun smith to look at. He said he would look at it and talk to SA. Why would I lie about it anyway? I said I liked it better then my sig pro, its not like im a die hard glock guy comin in here to stir up some trouble. By the way the gun smith is a springfield dealer and he has never had to send a XD back.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm joking with you so don't refer to me as a tight ass! I thought you would think my comment was funny! :D

Looks like the jokester can't take the joke.

Good luck with your pistol!

·
Registered
112 Posts
well since it is back together it is time to ship it in, and wait :(
so did the pistol ever function correctly ? when you got it did you perform a function check ?
I was in the gun store with a friend who was looking to buy a sig he picked a pistol cleared it , and noticed the decoker on a sig didn't function... quite right it would catch about have way down and well let me put it this way that one didn't sell that day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about the tight ass comment. I just got back from shooting without the XD. While I was at the gun shop I picked up a Kimber tactical custom II. So far the little XD is the funnest gun I have shot.
When I was looking at the gun before I bought it I checked the grip safety for anti racking but I didnt pull the trigger. I know SA has good customer service and I will be shooting a perfect XD when I get it back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts