Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Have been lurking here for a while reading up on the XD. Information from this site is mostly what influenced me to purchase an XD instead of a gl*ck 23. I purchased a 4" service .40 from my local dealer about 2 months ago and have since put about 1500 rounds thru it, mostly WWB 180gr and the Remington 250 bulk pack 180gr. Thus far it has proven to be reliable and fun to shoot, the only glitches i have noticed is that every 150-200 rounds, the next to the last round in either mag. will jam the nose of the bullet against the roof of the chamber. A rap on the rear of the slide will cause it to go into battery, so it's really a minor annoyance, I wonder have others experienced this? It may have something to do with the truncated cone bullet shape. I have heard that some .40 cal guns can be kind of finicky about the ammo they like. Also I have read where the slide is supposed to lock unless the grip safety is engaged. My slide will fully cycle without the grip safety engaged. I don't know if it just developed this condition or it was like that from the get go since I just now checked it. The gun will not fire without the grip engaged, so I think it is still working, should this be a cause for concern? I really like the XD and am planning on getting a 5" tactical 9mm in the very near future. Thanks for any input,
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
the grip safety is a firing pin block, not a slide lock. if you look at the back of the gun in the right light and work the grip safety, you can see the block engage and disengage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Unless the grip safety is depressed on my HS 2000 the slide is locked. I was sure but I double checked before I posted. It's been like that for years so I know it's not broken. Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my XD9 the grip safety also locks the slide as well. Could this possibly be a recent design change?

Mike

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Grip safety locks my slide as well. Thats one of the reasons I bought it, so little hands could not easily cock the gun.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The grip safety serves two purposes. One is to prevent firing of the weapon unless held properly. The other is to prevent the slide from partially retracting and causing an extraction of a round when holstering. If it is not locking the slide, there's a problem.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
There is a problem as stated.....call Springfield Armory at once its toll free.
1-800-680-6866
One of the safetys does not fully function so you have a dangerous pistol.

Right now the grip safety is allowing the sear to be released. with the sear in the up position the firing pin should not be able to slip passed it. It almost sounds if some one has tried a trigger job and filed off some of the sear. Either way its a major no no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick responses, I thought something might be out of whack. Ajames, this gun was purchased new by me and has never been tampered with in any way, only field stripped for cleaning. Having owned a number of auto pistols over the years and a lot of revolvers, I am not a total NooB when it comes to handguns, and I did read the manual before I field stripped it for cleaning, so I don't think it was anything I did to cause this condition. To clarify, the grip safety is failing to lock the slide, but IS blocking the firing pin as it is supposed too. I imagine it is some small part on the low side of its tolerance or such, but at any rate, I will call Springfield ASAP as recommended and see if their customer service can help me out.
Thanks for the info and the phone number,
Dave

·
Registered
67 Posts
Question--On my SC .40 the slide will pull back about 1/4" without the grip saftey depressed--is this normal? It then seems to be locked from further movement. I can't check my Service or Tactical, Rich has them for trigger work. Curt

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ran right to the safe and checked my XD out... I had always thought it was just a firing pin block, but you learn something new everyday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts