Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The XD-40 is the first pistol I have owned with a grip safety. I liked the idea of a second passive safety, however, had my doubts as to how effective it would actually be. It seemed to me that it would be hard NOT to engage the grip safety if trying to fire the gun.

Well, reality has proven me wrong.

I let a couple of people fire my gun, one had never shot a gun before and the other one had some experience. Both of them complained that the gun would not fire. Upon further examination, neither was engaging the grip safety, and this was while trying to shoot the gun!

·
Registered
244 Posts
nemesis_318 said:
I let a couple of people fire my gun, one had never shot a gun before and the other one had some experience. Both of them complained that the gun would not fire. Upon further examination, neither was engaging the grip safety, and this was while trying to shoot the gun!
They weren't gripping the gun properly. Plus, the xd may not be a natural "feel" for them. It's more important that it feels natural for you. Does it naturally point where you want to shoot, does it feel right in your hand... A proper grip will disengage the grip safety. Personally I like the idea of someone with little or no gun shooting experience not being able to fire my gun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah I saw a guy at the range who just popped out the mag, racked it quickly to ensure nothing in the chamber then after relaxing his grip when to casually dry fire it and noticed it wouldn't. He had moved his hand down and didn't have a good grip when he tried. I told him that it was designed that way to have a good grip and be very focused on what you are doing even if you are trying to dry fire. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Some say the 1911 will soon be avail w/o the grip safety as many find no use in it. It already has a FP safety, drop safety, why is a grip safety needed with the other safeties in place. Just a thought. The original 1911 that was John Brownings brain child did not have one. I do not like grip safeties but I still own a 1911. Would I buy one w/o it, sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dear Mr. Michigan Man: let's face the facts...

Anyone who can't fire the XD because they aren't engaging the grip safety...let's put it this way: THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS FIRING ANY HANDGUN!!! What's happening is they don't have a proper grip -which could be dangerous and inaccurate.

I own an XD and love it...one of the things anyone who shoots handguns knows is that you need a nice firm grip on the gun. If their grip is not engaging the grip saftey, then I'd hate to see what happens if they fired it with that flimsly, loose grip.

I find absolutely no problem in engaging the grip saftey naturally and subconsiously when drawing my gun and firing.

Why don't you take your dear friends out to the range and teach them some fundamentals of handguns! You might call it "Handguns 101"

Enjoy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It seemed to me that it would be hard NOT to engage the grip safety if trying to fire the gun.
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON!!! :D

"Reality" and a bunch of gun nut friends of yours who have no clue how to shoot are two totally different things! No, they didn't prove anything! :shock:

One question, WHICH END OF THE GUN WHERE THEY HOLDING ANYWAY :?: :? :roll:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
JP.308 said:
It seemed to me that it would be hard NOT to engage the grip safety if trying to fire the gun.
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON!!! :D

"Reality" and a bunch of gun nut friends of yours who have no clue how to shoot are two totally different things! No, they didn't prove anything! :shock:

One question, WHICH END OF THE GUN WHERE THEY HOLDING ANYWAY :?: :? :roll:
Easy there turbo. He's just stating his observations.

·
Registered
823 Posts
For you non-believers, there is already another, recent, thread on this topic, in which I posted pics of the size of my hand related to a full size 1911.

Due to the size of my hand and my high grip, I have ALWAYS had problems keeping a grip safety reliably depressed, moreso with the XD.

My expert medals from the Navy for firing a .45, and my NRA classification as well as my IDPA status demonstrate that I do indeed know how to fire a gun and that I do it quite well.

Unfortunately not all things fit all people equally well, and thus with grip safeties, sometimes things need to be modified to make them work better.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=28398&highlight=

·
Registered
28 Posts
You've got a point there!

I RECANT!!!

Next time I'll shut up and let you guys who know what you're talking about do the posting! :D

X

·
0 Posts
I agree with JP.308 on this one guys! I too have an XD and Love it!! I have NEVER had any problems activating the grip safety. I have never even thought about it actually. One reason that Springfield put that on there was for law enforcement use. That way in a fight, it cannot be discharged by another person struggling to get the gun unless they have it in their hand and are PROPERLY holding it in the firing position. [

Until now, I never thought of that grip safety as being a draw back for some. I guess in summary, there is no perfect gun for everyone!!! There a several good gun manufactures and guns out there. As they say "whatever tickles your pickle." The important thing is that you find the gun that works best for you.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
XD_forlife said:
I...One reason that Springfield put that on there was for law enforcement use. That way in a fight, it cannot be discharged by another person struggling to get the gun unless they have it in their hand and are PROPERLY holding it in the firing position...

Springfield didn't design ****. They did however purchase the rights to a decent design, and market it quite effectively. They also put the pretty little crossed cannon on the side of the slide, which I find quite pleaseing.

I believe that credit for "putting the grip safety in there" goes to the Croatians, as they had adopted it by their second run of the original format.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/hsarms/news/smarms_5_01.html

Your comment "That way in a fight, it cannot be discharged by another person struggling to get the gun unless they have it in their hand and are PROPERLY holding it in the firing position... " misses an important point- it's a two-edged sword. It can work against you, as well as for you. Regardless of the design, the first man to accomplish this during a gun-grapple, wins the event.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts