Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new XDm .40 owner, and ran through the first few hundred rounds the other day.

I developed a sore spot on my strong hand in the thenar area. (That's the area below the thumb on the palm side of the hand.) I assume from the aggressive corner grips.

I typically shoot anywhere from 200-500 rounds from my P94 Ruger and various 1911's and have never developed a similar area with any of them, although the Ruger has Hogue grips, the 1911's all have standard Kimber or Springfield grips.

Anyone else with similar issues?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
my hand was a little rubbed with the first 100 rounds or so on the xd45. No grip flaws here. she'll get better. any sharp molding will mellow out with time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Actually my XDm 40 fits me better than most handguns. What backstrap are you using? You may need to go to a smaller one yo change your grip somewhat.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You either need to toughen up (not being funny, get a callous), retexture the grip, or break out the Dremel.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You either need to toughen up (not being funny, get a callous), retexture the grip, or break out the Dremel.

ranburr
Entirely likely. I'm a Physician Assistant, and don't have the worlds toughest calluses! For some reason, people don't like calluses on hands that are going to cut on them!:mrgreen:

I may try one of the other grip sizes, or even brush the grip with the dremel.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a heck of a time changing the grip on mine. Any tips on how to do so?

·
Registered
463 Posts
So far I have changed my back strap twice. I use a 3/32" punch and lay the gun on top of my leg to hammer the pin out. The pin comes out with a few firm licks without any pain. Once the back strap is removed i will inspect for frame cracks. So far my frame is crackless. Once which back strap to install has been determined the pin goes back in the same way it came out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get a good pair of shooting gloves with the fingers cut out. You can also increase the grip tighter with your hand when you shoot. The grip is too rough in that area for substained target shooting, but nice on a combat type pistol.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Get a 3/32" pin punch and search the threads. It's a b*tch to get out.
Thank you. After digging around some more on this forum I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one with a little trouble getting it out of there. Looks like I'm going to Menards for lunch.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Try a Pachmayer slip-on grip from Pistol Gear. I put one on my XD45C and it feels great.The XD wasn't giving me a blister or anything I just wanted a little thicker grip and the slip-on was just the ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts