Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carrying a XD9SC with 40mag (13+1) and a Pearce grip extension in a standard cut CBST at 5:00 for about 2 months.
I had finally found the "sweet spot" and could barely even feel my rig.
I always wear slimmer fit T-shirts untucked and a wifebeater under that tucked in over the CBST.

I have VERY sweaty hands (even without stress) so i thought some grip decals might be a good idea. I found this thread http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-accessories-sale/146278-wts-grip-decals-xds-xdms-mn.html
Ordered the rubber grip decals Monday got them this Wednesday.

I assumed the rubber would be more gummy and less sandpaper.
Walking was fine but if i drove in a car, sat on the couch, laid down it really rubbed my back bad. I toughed it out until today and decided to go a little MacGyver on it.

I marked where the grip extended past the CBST and rubbed on my skin. I did a test spot on an extra piece of grip decal first for proof of concept. I then masked everything off around the part that rubbed including the gun grip in case i slipped.
Then I pulled out the dremel. :shock:
I put a sanding drum and in polished it down a little to get rid of some of the rough texture but still keep the extra grip of rubber instead of the slippery polymer frame.

Here's the outcome..please excuse the crappy cellphone camera pics. My wife has our camera right now.
It made a HUGE difference on comfort and feels like it did before the grip decal. (This isn't meant to be a dig at grip decal or the seller. The product is great it's just too rough against my bare skin)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yeah, skate board tape is very useful. It wears down after you handle it a bit & is much prefered to rubber for me. A rubber grip anything will cause your shirt to stick to the gun & it will eventually print.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Not a problem since i wear an undershirt tucked in and a untucked shirt over it.
I find anything rubber on my grips will grap my cover garment & risk printing. Skateboard tape won;t in most cases, a better bet if you don;t want to spend the money for stippling or checkering.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If rubber tape is too rough against my skin i'm certain actual sandpaper would be even worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts