Springfield XD Forum banner

Grip chop?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ForGreatJustice 
#1 ·
I know it's fairly popular to chop the grips of glocks in order to accomodate the magazines from the next model down. I know XD has no mid-size offering (to their eternal shame!) but has anyone had the grip of their XD cut down to accomodate the SC mags?

#3 ·
no but I have wanted to chop the grip of mine but I am having problems doing so. I have learned to weave baskets with my toes but handling power tools with them still eludes me. if they would only take this jacket off me for a little while I am sure I would do it in no time.

#4 ·
Personally, I'm still debating it. The "commander" or mid-frame Glock size is about the idea weapons for a CCW piece, I feel. But XDs don't come in that size. A grip chop gets you a little too small, and might alter the balance of the gun unfavorably. Seems it'd be easier to mount a longer barrel in an SC if you really wanted that. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I can't get a Glock to fit my hand without a grip reduction, and buying a G38 and then getting it reduced doesn't seem as cost effective as buying an XD45 service and just dressing accordingly

-FGJ

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, Dragoon. That's helpful. Yeah, 1/4" is not much. You can make up for such a slight thing with the proper holster selection if you need to at all.

So far, the Glock is one of the most "space efficient" design I've seen, but its ergonomic disadvantages make me hesitate to buy another. In fact, one place where the XD (and many other poly pistols) beat Glock for space efficiency is in the grip and magazine.

#9 ·
My service will get a chop job this summer down to SC size. I can use my SC mags with a pearce extension for concealed and not loose any control or comfort plus I can toss in a full mag with the sleeve and be back to fullsize. Best of both worlds.

#11 ·
That's the first I've ever heard of that. Glocks are notoriously hard to conceal due to their 2x4-like grips. The single-stack models are not so bad, but the others... Rolling Eyes
...That's exactly what I said. Glocks have a lot of extra volume in the grip and magazine compared to other pistols, in my opinion. What I do like about them is the small amount of space the whole pistol takes
up and the low bore axis. They seem a lot easier to IWB with than other more traditional DA/SA pistols for some reason. A grip reduction usually solves this problem, but it's just one more mod that could be avoided by buying a different gun. Of course, when I bought the Glock, I hadn't heard of the HS2K.

I really like the grip reductions myself. Mine was done by Robar and looks quite professional. It does seem a little weird to the eye, but to the hand it's just right. Cosmetics are less of a priority to me than ergonomics in serious guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.