Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm deciding if it's smarter to buy a new XD45 Essential for $440 and or buy the XD45 Compact for $560.

The difference between the two pistols is the Compact comes with "the kit" and a 2nd mag. I don't care about the kit and a 2nd mag is $25.

Including tax and the cost of the extra mag the XD45 Essential is exactly $103 cheaper than buying the XD45 Compact.

I'm very capable of doing the grip chop myself so there's no cost other than my time but I enjoy doing this type of work.

In a nut shell, I'm having trouble justifying ~$100 extra to get the Compact.

Your thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is the XDs 45 a consideration for you?

What kind of capacity would you get with the "grip chop" you mentioned?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not at all interested in the XDs. It's way overpriced here in California.

The XD45 Compact holds 10 which is the legal limit here. The size of this gun is "just right" for what I want. It's same size as the G19 which is also "just right" but I want it in 45 acp and I prefer the XD over the Glock.

I'm decided on the XD45 Compact. I'm just having trouble swallowing the additional $100 to go from service model to compact model when it's the same darn gun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would get the compact. The extra $100 you spend would be the cost of the lifetime warranty. Grip chop a service size = no warranty.

Or find a used full size one and chop it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm keepng an eye out for a used one but most people around here have Service model priced higher than a new on-sale price so I might as well just buy it new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, I'm deciding if it's smarter to buy a new XD45 Essential for $440 and or buy the XD45 Compact for $560.

The difference between the two pistols is the Compact comes with "the kit" and a 2nd mag. I don't care about the kit and a 2nd mag is $25.

Including tax and the cost of the extra mag the XD45 Essential is exactly $103 cheaper than buying the XD45 Compact.

I'm very capable of doing the grip chop myself so there's no cost other than my time but I enjoy doing this type of work.

In a nut shell, I'm having trouble justifying ~$100 extra to get the Compact.

Your thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of them. I see your point which is economics. From time to time, Springfield will do a promo for free magazines. Go with your gut. I own 2 XDs and the are great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I ended up ordering the XD45 Compact.

I only want the short mag but it comes with one short and one standard length 10 rounder.

If anyone wants to trade their short mag for my long mag let me know as I'll have no use for it. It will be a new magazine and I should take possession of the gun within two weeks.

Thanks,

·
Registered
459 Posts
What a pain you California guys have to put up with. See it in the store take it home today here. Not sure I could live in a state with an extended waiting period.

Good call on the compact. I sold my service to get a compact.

Go here for a decent deal on 10 rounders. Springfield XD .45ACP 10rd Compact Magazine XD4501

Yesterday they were 5 bucks cheaper... I snagged two.

Congrats on the new gun. I love my 45c

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a pain you California guys have to put up with. See it in the store take it home today here. Not sure I could live in a state with an extended waiting period.

Good call on the compact. I sold my service to get a compact.

Go here for a decent deal on 10 rounders. Springfield XD .45ACP 10rd Compact Magazine XD4501

Yesterday they were 5 bucks cheaper... I snagged two.

Congrats on the new gun. I love my 45c
They are showing $19.99, were they $15 ea?

Regarding our 10 waiting period! Last summer we won a lawsuit in which case if we already own a registered gun we can pick it up at time of purchase but that doesn't take affect until end of February.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yea 14.99 yesterday. I posted the link in the 45 forum yesterday. Crazy how internet pricing changes from day to day. 20 still isn't bad if you were already ordering something. I was buying stuff yesterday so the shipping was already covered. I generally support my gun range for such purchases but that price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh that was a killer price. Too bad I missed it!

Shipping is $8.50 so I'll probably just buy local.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts