Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've got a new RO that only has 400 rounds through it now. my problem is the bottom bushing on the left side of the frame has stripped twice now. i went to take the grips off both times, and the bushing has come right out still attached to the grip and screw. am i tightening the grip screws too tight? the frame threads seem to look in good shape. i'm just a little confused as i never once had this problem with my SR1911

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
This is quite common, actually. Youll need to buy the kit from Brownells, drill and tap the strpped hole(I cant remember the exact size, I dont have my notes in front of me).
The kit will reference the size you need.

Youll be able to use the same stock screw. Don't forget the burrs left overin the mag well:oops:

With a steady hand or a drill press, this is a 15 minute diy. Or for $45-70 a competent Smith could hook you up.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
When you say "stripped" do you mean the bushing came out with the screw when removing the grips? Or do you mean the threads are damaged/destroyed and the bushing will not thread back into the hole in the frame?

If its damaged threads in the frame??? Send it back to SA.

If its just the bushing unscrewing with the grip screw -
1) grab the bushing with a pair of pliers and use a screw driver to unscrew the grip screw
2) use some alcohol to degrease the threads in the frame and the threads on the bushing
3) let the alcohol dry (just takes a couple/three minutes)
4) put some blue Loctite on the threads of the frame/bushing and thread the bushing back into the frame
5) let it sit the amount of time the Loctite instruction state to completely dry and then reinstall the grip and grip screws.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
When you say "stripped" do you mean the bushing came out with the screw when removing the grips? Or do you mean the threads are damaged/destroyed and the bushing will not thread back into the hole in the frame?

If its damaged threads in the frame??? Send it back to SA.

If its just the bushing unscrewing with the grip screw -
1) grab the bushing with a pair of pliers and use a screw driver to unscrew the grip screw
2) use some alcohol to degrease the threads in the frame and the threads on the bushing
3) let the alcohol dry (just takes a couple/three minutes)
4) put some blue Loctite on the threads of the frame/bushing and thread the bushing back into the frame
5) let it sit the amount of time the Loctite instruction state to completely dry and then reinstall the grip and grip screws.
Beat me to it

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
If the threads aren't damage, maybe it didn't get a good stake?

I'm lazy so I'd probably just put a little blue loctite on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts