Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a paper puncher out to around 800yds at the most. Narrowed my caliber choice to 6.5 grendel. Although I debated just building a 458 Socom.

Anyone have barrel suggestions? I was thinking of maybe AR Stoner brand, but not familiar with the brand. Looking for either a 22 or 24 inch. With a stainless barrel.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
22 trumps 24 if you want 24 I can't use mine down here...$400 barrel supposedly good to a grand.

No where to shoot over 300

Planning on reloading or shooting vmax? That's the biggie

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
OP, have you checked at 65grendel.com for barrel recommendations? Shilen and Lilja barrels seem to be well regarded by the Grendel shooters. There seems to be some variation in what exact chamber reamer is used. There were a few variants out there prior to the 6.5 Grendel getting its SAAMI acceptance.

I bought an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Overwatch upper through MidwayUSA. Don't know the barrel manufacturer. It is a 24" stainless steel....shoots Hornady factory ammo better than 1" at 100 yds. I know that AA offers Shilen barrels in their "upgrade" packages.

I am enjoying working up some loads for my Grendel.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, have you checked at 65grendel.com for barrel recommendations? Shilen and Lilja barrels seem to be well regarded by the Grendel shooters. There seems to be some variation in what exact chamber reamer is used. There were a few variants out there prior to the 6.5 Grendel getting its SAAMI acceptance.

I bought an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Overwatch upper through MidwayUSA. Don't know the barrel manufacturer. It is a 24" stainless steel....shoots Hornady factory ammo better than 1" at 100 yds. I know that AA offers Shilen barrels in their "upgrade" packages.

I am enjoying working up some loads for my Grendel.
No, haven't checked yet. I spent the last 2 weeks narrowing down which caliber I wanted, and that seemed to be the perfect one for me. I'll check out that site and pick their brains a bit!
I'll likely start with v max and then slowly work up some hand loads for it. I'm not in any hurry, but I'm definitely excited to see what I can get it to do! I'll check out all of the above. Thanks gents!

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
No, haven't checked yet. I spent the last 2 weeks narrowing down which caliber I wanted, and that seemed to be the perfect one for me. I'll check out that site and pick their brains a bit!
I'll likely start with v max and then slowly work up some hand loads for it. I'm not in any hurry, but I'm definitely excited to see what I can get it to do! I'll check out all of the above. Thanks gents!
Careful vmax takes a combat chamber and fills it to be super accurate. Ie 556 vs 223. Its 556 and won't fit 223. Make sure the barrel has a chamber to accommodate I suggest Alexander at this point it can fire vmax superbly.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the shilen barrel! Only thing is I'm only seeing a 20 inch option out there. I had really wanted at least a 22 to maximize the full velocity potential. I'll keep looking. This is the exhausting part!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Careful vmax takes a combat chamber and fills it to be super accurate. Ie 556 vs 223. Its 556 and won't fit 223. Make sure the barrel has a chamber to accommodate I suggest Alexander at this point it can fire vmax superbly.

I actually did find an upper with the 24, and an extra 240 bucks gets you the Shilen upgrade. I'll be just over 1k in the upper, which isn't terrible for a precision upper! I'll keep looking around. I didn't see a krieger available. I'll check with white oak next.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I actually did find an upper with the 24, and an extra 240 bucks gets you the Shilen upgrade. I'll be just over 1k in the upper, which isn't terrible for a precision upper! I'll keep looking around. I didn't see a krieger available. I'll check with white oak next.
Imo 20-22 handle prolonged shooting better. Less change in poi due to heat. I'd go 20 personally extra fps imo not worth the adjusting.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I want to build a paper puncher out to around 800yds at the most. Narrowed my caliber choice to 6.5 grendel. Although I debated just building a 458 Socom.

Anyone have barrel suggestions? I was thinking of maybe AR Stoner brand, but not familiar with the brand. Looking for either a 22 or 24 inch. With a stainless barrel.

You were actually considering a 458 Socom for shooting at 800 yards?

don

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were actually considering a 458 Socom for shooting at 800 yards?

don
Hahaha! No I should have better clarified that. I wanted either a paper gun at long range, or a violent probably sbr for Javelina. Decided I wanted longer range more. More or less, I wanted and unconventional caliber. That 458 is a MASSIVE projectile.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Socum .458 at 800 yards? Not to worry, we knew what you meant. If I were to reenter the AR15 Fun And Madness again, I would also lean towards a 20" HB A2 Rifle with the A2 fixed butt stock...in 6.5 Grendel....only in Left Hand since my brain is cross wired and my left eye is the dominant one. I think.

Alexander Arms are neat cool people. I think, (not sure) they can get you going as far as barrel choices go. They also will do the exact head space thing for you if you want a real long range paper buster. Now only if they would provide a excellent Left Hand 6.5 Grendel bolt for this old coot. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by me since I can not spell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts