Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new XDS 45 3.3 owner here. I've been a 1911 shooter for years but drifted over to the Glock 9mm (G19) world for a decade or so tempted by the lower price, mag capacity and simplicity... but mostly I think by the mag capacity. The pistols I own are primarily used for sport and home defense but for the last year and a half getting a concealed carry license has been on my mind. For my build and usual dress, I've never considered the G19 an ideal concealed carry pistol so a couple of weeks ago I went down to use a GSSF pistol coupon on a new G26. On a lark, I asked the guy if he had a G30S in stock and he did. Holding the G26 and G30S side by side, I'm thinking "hmm, there's not much difference in size or grip and one carries 12+1 of 9mm and the other 10+1 of .45." Long story short, my history with .45 ACP kicked in and I walked out with the 30S.

So far I love the 30S and shot it better right off the bat than the G19 (or G17) I own but the truth is for warm weather wear it's still a bit thicker than I think I can comfortably conceal under a polo or t-shirt. Last year, I was really interested in finding an M&P Shield in 9mm specifically for concealed carry but it was all but impossible to see one in person. Jumping forward to yesterday, I went down to attend my first gun show this year with hopes of finally finding a Shield in 9mm. There were several on display at reasonable prices and I was mightily tempted except I couldn't stop thinking about the XDS-45 I'd seen and held on a number of vendor tables earlier. Again, the thought process was "7+1 of 9mm vs 5+1 of .45". Now, up to this point XD had not been on my radar but here was a really thin, attractive pistol in .45 that looked and felt really good in my hand and had a very glock-like trigger (good or bad, by now I'm used to it). As I've already told you, eventually I couldn't pass it up and one came home with me.

Took it to the range this morning with the G30s and G17 (both with new sights to work on) so I only got to put two mags through the XDS before I ran out of time. I was very pleasantly surprised that the XDS recoil was about the same as the 30S... in other words, very manageable. Even with a 7 1/4 lb trigger pull, it was reasonably accurate for my first time shooting it and the stock sights are a dream (at least for stock sights on a $500 pistol) I'm looking forward to putting hundreds of rounds through it over the next week or two. So far, I absolutely love it.

After I got home, I spent hours googling information about the XDS and pretty quickly found, and registered for, this site. There seems to be a ton of good information and people here so I'm glad I found this place.

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Premium Member
127,992 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome from Georgia

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome from W. Mi. Do you still have and shoot 1911's. I like to shoot my XDs45 and do so at every range trip. I love my 1911 and is my favorite to shoot. I do carry it sometimes but EDC is my XDs

NRA life member
Ruger Markll 22/45SS
XDs45
Sig 1911 FB
GP100357 SS4"
UCMC 75-79
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I still have two Kimbers and a Series '70 Colt. I don't shoot them as much in the last couple of years but I don't imagine I'll be getting rid of them any time soon.

Welcome from W. Mi. Do you still have and shoot 1911's. I like to shoot my XDs45 and do so at every range trip. I love my 1911 and is my favorite to shoot. I do carry it sometimes but EDC is my XDs

NRA life member
Ruger Markll 22/45SS
XDs45
Sig 1911 FB
GP100357 SS4"
UCMC 75-79
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
46,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts