Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I rarely post in forums but felt it was my duty to warn you about the Springfield XDM 9C that I purchased new from Cabelas over a year ago. Up until my trip down to NC last weekend, the firearm was completely disassembled sitting in my basement. Why? Because the rolling pins, trigger pins, magazine release mechanism, and take down lever were badly rusted. Again...after on year of pretty much every day use. I use it in an Aliengear Tuck IWB 3.0 holster and take pretty good care of the firearm. Seeing as this is an EDC, it's not like I took it out of the holster every night, cleaned, and lubricates it. As an EDC I believe that it should be rugged enough for use in that environment.

You can see in the screenshot below the dissatisfactory answer that I received from Springfield. I'm sorry but I'm not going to open myself up to sinking another $70 into a rusted out piece if parts that I wouldn't dream of buying again. I did totally disassemble the firearm, cleaned off rust and relubricated. After a week, with careful wiping away of sweat and moisture, it again rusted in the same spots. I stated to them that I would like a full refund.

Has anyone had the same experience? I am a completely dissatisfied customer and would never make the same mistake in investing in a handgun from Springfield Armory.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
So do you take pretty good care of your pistol, or do you leave it in the holster (in the basement, without wiping it down/lubing)? It's one or the other.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
The sheer number of abused and not rusted out XD's say you're the exception and not the rule. There's a huge difference between not babying something and neglecting it.

Reactions: Jeedia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do you take pretty good care of your pistol, or do you leave it in the holster (in the basement, without wiping it down/lubing)? It's one or the other.
Hey Roger. Most of the time I take it off and leave it in the holster. I clean and maintain in accordance with the manual provided with the firearm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Hell my xd45 was stolen and some low rent POS carried it around for 4 years. When I got it back it looked like that idiot didn't even know you were supposed to use oil, yet I had no rust. Your is def an exception .

Are you near the coast? Basements hold more moisture . Leather holsters accelerate this as well. Good luck on a refund lol. Never happen. Too many things that it could be on your end. I hate rust sorry that happened.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
Have you sent it back and given them a chance to fix it?

If not it seems like you're choosing the outcome here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hell my xd45 was stolen and some low rent POS carried it around for 4 years. When I got it back it looked like that idiot didn't even know you were supposed to use oil, yet I had no rust. Your is def an exception .

Are you near the coast? Basements hold more moisture . Leather holsters accelerate this as well. Good luck on a refund lol. Never happen. Too many things that it could be on your end. I hate rust sorry that happened.
I'm not near the coast and I do have dehumidifiers in the basement that keep it pretty low. I'm thinking maybe I'll just trying and purchase stainless steel pins and see if that helps if I can get it for the right price.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I'm not near the coast and I do have dehumidifiers in the basement that keep it pretty low. I'm thinking maybe I'll just trying and purchase stainless steel pins and see if that helps if I can get it for the right price.
Send it back

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you sent it back and given them a chance to fix it?

If not it seems like you're choosing the outcome here.
I have not because I really don't want to sink more into this if their "technicians" deem it to be not covered under the limited warranty. I have spoken to numerous firearm-owning friends, some of which have served for years in law enforcement, and they have examined it and did not understand why it was rusting. This was after I took them through my daily routine.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
I have not because I really don't want to sink more into this if their "technicians" deem it to be not covered under the limited warranty. I have spoken to numerous firearm-owning friends, some of which have served for years in law enforcement, and they have examined it and did not understand why it was rusting. This was after I took them through my daily routine.
Yeah, everyone doesn't understand why it's rusting.

So you have 2 choices here -

1. Send it back and give them the chance to fix it and maybe tell you what caused it, the environment the gun was stored in (likely) or some sort of defect (unlikely).

2. Be stuck with a rusted gun but be good and mad about it. Complain on the internet. Get nowhere.

Just speaking for me I'd choose option 1.

·
Premium Member
21,743 Posts
Do you leave the bread open and get upset when it grows mold?

Reactions: Alter1

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, the response from Springfield was exactly what one would expect. They need to see what your complaining about first hand. What else could they say?
Next, you really need to come clean with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. where do you live. Very important! IE: If you live on a boat I might expect this without a lot of frequent cleaning. How ofter do you disassemble and clean? Is your XD exposed to sweat on a daily basis, etc.

You have had the XD for over a year without any claim to faulty materials, workmanship, of function. You can not expect to get a full refund. You can not expect any refund.

Last but not least. Send it in to Springfield and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I forgot the part where rusting out and weakened integrity of a firearm could be classified as anything other than "useless" for EDC.
You are absolutely correct! Not looking at or maintaining an EDC also makes it "useless".

Stop all the finger pointing and justifications. Be totally honest about how your firearm is stored, carried, cared for etc, and send it in the Springfield. Then come back and let us know what the outcome is.

Here is the good news I sense you don't want to hear. If it is as I suspect, operator error, it is the cheapest and best long term fix possible.

·
Premium Member
21,743 Posts
...no. It goes in the fridge so it lasts longer.
Maybe you should put your gun in there to help dry it out ;)

Living in AZ it really is not that much of a problem here, but I can see the need to pull it from the holster and check it in the South.

Reactions: Yosef

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well, Asher or Yosef, whatever your name is, how in the world could you possibly expect Springfield Armory to give you a full refund without first inspecting the firearm based on nothing more than what you say??? Your demand is completely unreasonable.

Secondly, you're not going to get a "full refund" because Springfield Armory has absolutely NO way of knowing how you use/abuse/maintain your firearms.

My XDm has absolutely no rusting issues and neither does my XDs. I'm not saying it's not possible, but your story just doesn't seem to add up. You can either send it in to them to get it fixed or not, but you won't get a refund, full or otherwise. Complaining on the internet isn't going to accomplish anything.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Metal against leather is bad juju, especially in damp environment.

I left gun in holster sometimes when lived in Az, can get away with it there. Don't do that in Ok unless in moisture controlled safe.

If my shop tools rust it is my fault, if my reloading dies rust that's on me, if my guns rust I screwed up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts