Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My grandfather used to be a park ranger back in the day at the local park (in Pennsylvania). He passed away a long while back...about 10 years ago.

Just recently while searching for a vehicle title in the safe, we stumbled across his old pistol that he carried as a ranger.

here is my question. My grandmother had tried to give the gun away to my cousins in the past, but no one wanted it. Well...I want it. Haha. I didnt even know it was in there.

I talked to a guy at the local range/gun shop yesterday, and he told me that I didnt have to do a thing. Just take possession of it and do whatever I want. He said I didnt HAVE to bring it in, but if I wanted to I could bring in the pistol and death cert....but that I didnt have to.

I know that if I ever sell it to someone else, that Ide need to do paperwork then...but thats never going to happen. So can I just take it and shoot it and hold on to it? Im pretty sure transfers like that are totally legal within immediat family members like this. just wanted to check with you all real quick.

J.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
i know in OH that is perfectly fine... i have 10 guns that were passed down to me and god only knows how long a couple of them have been in the family

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Just take possesion of it and be proud to have a part of your grandfathers past in your hands. No need for any paperwork or anything. As far as the gov. is concerned, that pistol doesnt even exist, there are no records kept.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
As stated above, take it and cherish it. No legal hoops to jump through.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha...thanks guys. Im gonna go pick it up tonight. Along with my grandmother's single shot .22. Yes... its a single shot .22. Haha. I think. She has wanted them gone for awhile, so Im going to do her a favor.

Im not positive on the make of my grandfather's pistol. But I know its a .32. So its not a large frame gun. I remember stories of when he was patroling, and he would come up on a group of people not supposed to be there. So my grandfather, who was a pretty small guy, would ask them to leave, etc etc. And when they started giving him trouble, he'd reach down and pop the thumb break on his holster...and ask them again. haha. And they'd listen this time.

He loved telling those stories.

And if you search my name, you'll see I not afraid to post pics. haha. I have pictures of my other grandfather's (still living) guns. So Im sure Ill post up later tonight. Ill make a new thread in the photo gallery.

Thanks again all!

J.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Post some photos when you get it. Some of us love old pistols...and have a safe full of them to prove it.

I have my Grandfather's revolver, too. Yes, its nice to keep guns in the family and they do tell a story, don't they? Grandad left me a 5" nickel plated Smith & Wesson Second Model Hand Ejector in 38Spl. Its in decent condition with some scratches but no rust. Shoots great.

In 32 caliber, what you have is probably a Smith Hand Ejector or Colt Police Positive. Those were very popular early park ranger carry guns before the 38 special became popular. The 32 could be the older 32-20 round or maybe 32 S&W Long.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! I figured once I got it Ide check the model out and see what I can learn. Its not a super old pistol...so I dont know how much character it has other than being my grandfathers gun.

Im not sure that its a colt or a smith. I thought I remembered it being a weird name...but I havent actually looked at it in a long time. My grandmother wrapped both pistols up in plastic, and then wrapped that wrap in more plastic..haha. Its like fort knox. So I didnt get a chance to unwrap and pull them all apart.

Im actually getting quite excited to grab them and bring them home later. I gotta clean my XD and my rifle from yesterday so Ill lay the other ones out and check them over. Im sure they havent been cleaned in a LOOOONNNNGGGGGG time. If ever. haha.

J.

·
Registered
937 Posts
keep it don't ever sell it, pass it down to your kid.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done and...(if I ever have kids) Done. Its not going anywhere. Plus, I wouldnt get much it anyway. Its worth WAAAAYYY more to me in sentimental/nostalgic value. Of course Im gonna shoot the heck out of it still! My grandfather would want it that way, even though he hardly ever shot the thing. Maybe 20 rounds total...if that.

J.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I talked to a guy at the local range/gun shop yesterday, and he told me that I didnt have to do a thing. Just take possession of it and do whatever I want. He said I didnt HAVE to bring it in, but if I wanted to I could bring in the pistol and death cert....but that I didnt have to.
I was in a similar situation when my dad died about 35 years ago. He had a Colt Official Police and there was some sort of paperwork from the state with it. I wanted the gun and my mom didn't want it around but I didn't know what to do about it.

So like the naive 22 y/o I was at the time I take the gun and paperwork down to our local police station. Should have called or gone in WITHOUT the gun first, LOL. Anyway, I wasn't a total idiot; I had the cylinder out and was carrying it muzzle down with my fingers in the frame so it was obvious I wasn't looking for trouble.

Anyhow, LEO behind the desk was initially somewhat nervous but calmed down pretty quick. They researched their records and found out my dad had never completed the paperwork. After a while, the chief (this was in a small town in Michigan) just told me to take the gun and keep it as the paperwork was more hassle than it was worth to do it.

So when my mom remarried and my step dad passed away about 10 years ago I got his guns too. This time I just took them and didn't ask around. :D

Enjoy 'em. Guns with family stories are great. And I still get the warm & fuzzies when I shoot my dad's and step-dad's guns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts