Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just wanted to show a couple pictures of the pistols that I brought home with me tonight. They were in my grandmother's safe for who knows how long.

Ill tell you what they are first, then post the crap load of pictures I just took. The first is a single shot .22 pistol. My grandmother's. Its made by "Sheridan Products INC." Its a pretty unique piece. Decent shape except for a bur on the edge of the bore. Someone dry fired it at some point, and apparently these pistols dont like being dry fired. The pic will show it.

The second pistol was my Grandfathers. I was excited to get this. He was a park ranger in the early 70's. Its a H&R Model 732 .32 revolver. Nothing special really. More sentimental value than anything. Its still in its holster from when he would patrol. Even has what I believe to be a small pouch for carrying extra ammo? It looks pretty sketchy, but maybe someone else can tell me what it is.

Ok...on to the pics. I havent touched the guns yet. They are dirty and are in need of cleaning/lubing. My grandmother did a good job of wrapping them up to survive a nuclear blast though. So that helped

Pics are self explanitory, but Ill put some notes here and there. Also...you'll see my XD in some. Its just for size comparison since most of you should be familiar with an XD Service. ENJOY!

Everything I got (besides the XD). Even got two boxes of ammo that I wont be firing...

This is the barrel release.

You can see the shell ejector that pops out, and seems like it would fling the spent shell pretty good.

The burr.

The supposed extra ammo holder. I was thinking he'd put rounds in the top, and then pop the bottom snap to get them out..?? Best I can come up with. Anyone have any different opinions?

There you have it. Enjoy the pics and if any of you are familiar with these pistols and have info for me...feel free! I know they are nothing really super special...but I love trying to learn about older stuff like this. Gives me something to do. haha. I cant wait to fix the .22 and go shoot them both. Should be fun if nothing else!!!

J.

·
Registered
937 Posts
cool guns man, My grandpa has a couple old pieces, a s&w .38 and a single shot .22. I'm luck to still have him around too @ 89, enjoy gramps piece keep it the sentimental value far surpasses its monetary value.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nifty old pistolas indeed!

The ammo pouch is a "drop pouch" for loose rounds. You got it right, put palm under it, unsnap bottom to drop them in your hand.

I got an old 50's HR myself, 9 shot .22. Shoots great. Unlike yours, whole cylinder has to come out to empty/reload.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! I knew about the cylinder dropping procedure on some of them. Realized right away that mine was a "swing out". Took me a bit to figure out that you have to cock the hammer like 1/6 of the way so that the firing pin retracts and the cylinder can swing out.

The action and function of the gun is actually quite interesting. Its a good bit different than the other revolvers Ive messed with, including my Colt Trooper MK V.

I gotta figure out which ammo I want to shoot through it. Im thinking S&W .32 Longs... Will those work? I can get fairly cheap boxes online.

J.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I gotta figure out which ammo I want to shoot through it. Im thinking S&W .32 Longs... Will those work? I can get fairly cheap boxes online.

J.
Can not advise. I know zip regarding .32 loads, sorry.

Btw, if you have to ease back on firing pin, sounds like it might be a "direct strike" kind (whatever the right term is). Meaning, no transfer bar or blocker of any kind. Assuming it is, that is a gun you do NOT want to drop with a round chambered under the hammer.

Mine is high tech for the 1950's, doesn't use transfer bar like modern wheelies, but does have a protecting lug that prevents strike until trigger is fully cocked.

- OS

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Here is a old thread on the Sheridan Knockabout .22 single shot pistol

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-141652.html

and a current gunbroker auction that looks to be a bit overpriced

Sheridan Knockabout VERY Nice UNIQUE 22 SLLR : Single Shot at GunBroker.com

I like the H&R, but the Sheridan is the one I'd like to have. That little "burr" will probably cause some trouble chambering and extracting, but should be an easy fix by a competent hobbiest or gunsmith.

Good luck with the new "gifts"!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OhShoot: With the hammer dropped, the firing pin does protrude. How does that work? When fired, does it pop out further to hit the primer? Thats how my colt is I believe. Once the hammer drops the pin goes back in behind the breach face. Or when loaded, does teh pistol always need to be in that first cocked position? I dont think Ill be dropping it. Actually, I highly doubt it'll even have rounds in it unless its pointed down range. I have other guns to leave loaded around the house :)

hobocircus: Thanks for the links! I havent been able to turn much up about the .22. I did find that gunbroker ad and thought it was a bit much. I have a decent set of files and am pretty confident. Ive been through my XD so many times with the mods Ive done. So getting rid of the burr isnt a big deal. Plus...the burr is only in the "chamber" area. If I can get a .22 to slide in and out easy, and make sure the rim sits down all the way, I should be ok with it. FIgured Ide spay it down with some CLP and drop some lube down in the pivot/spring assembly and just have some fun with it. Loading one at a time might get old, but its still a neat gun that Ive never seen before. Ill keep both of these forever most likely.

J.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The supposed extra ammo holder. I was thinking he'd put rounds in the top, and then pop the bottom snap to get them out..?? Best I can come up with. Anyone have any different opinions?
That is exactly what that is.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
wow Jamesway! there is a blast from the past.

enjoy man, great looking pistols there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
OhShoot: With the hammer dropped, the firing pin does protrude. How does that work? When fired, does it pop out further to hit the primer? Thats how my colt is I believe. Once the hammer drops the pin goes back in behind the breach face. Or when loaded, does teh pistol always need to be in that first cocked position? ...
I honestly have no idea...might be a free floating firing pin or something.
It just sounds like something to be careful with with loaded chamber!

- OS

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can tell you that with the hammer all the way down, and the pin protruding into the cylinder area, you cant easily push it back. You actually push the hammer back if you do.

Thats how I discovered the "1/6 position" of the hammer. The cylinder would actually snag on the firing pin, and when I push it, I felt the hammer move as the pin was pushed in.

Either way...Like I said, Ill hardly ever just have ammo sitting in it.

J.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Loading one at a time might get old, but its still a neat gun that Ive never seen before. Ill keep both of these forever most likely.

J.
Thats the beauty of a single shot, you try much harder to make every shot count. I wouldn't be surprised if some early owners never got through more than a box or two ammo in it's lifetime. Ahhh the good ole days :D
I like those old timers, they seem to give you that warm fuzzy feeling :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you all liked the pics!

I spent the night tonight with the two additions after cleaning my XD from the range trip.

I worked on the .22 first. The bore after cleaning was amazing. Perfectly smooth and shiney inside. Rifling still nice and crisp. I doubt it was fired much. In fact, after someone dry fired it, you could no longer put a round in anyway. I cleaned the burr up and now you can drop the .22 round in, and it slides in smooth. Falls right into place. And when you pop the barrel, the round flings out. Thats with an unfired round as well. With a spent cartrige it will probably come out even quicker. Cleaned, lubed, ready for fun!

The .32 was pretty good as it sat. I took the cylinder off and pulled the plunger assembly apart. Cleaned off some corrosion on the parts, cleaned the bore which was also just about perfect, lubed and re-assembled. Now the cylinder spins nice and free, and its easier to pop the cylinder in/out.

Ive heard some people talk about the H&Rs terrible trigger pull. I gotta say. I dont think its near 9lbs... Its really pretty light and crisp. No creep or take up. Just a slight squeeze and she fires nice and smooth. Double action is the same way. You dont need to yank it.

Looking forward to shooting these suckers! I couldnt get .32 S&W at walmart. So Im going to try some more reputable shops. If I still cant find any, Ill order online. Ill post up when I shoot them and let ya'll know how they work!

J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts