Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a first generation XDM today for a decent deal given the current state of the market, more for the frame to go with my spare 3.8 slide. Was pretty surprised when I opened the case. Not only that all of the original accessories were there but also by the little amount of wear that it has other than minimal holster wear at the muzzle end of the slide. Also came with some trijicon night sights that seem to have quite a bit of Life left in them, and what I'm assuming is a springer precision trigger shoe.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
The Melonite finish on these pistols wears like iron. Mine is 8 or 9 yrs old and still looks new.
The Croats did a good job on these.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very nice XDMs! What do you feel are the most noticeable differences pros and cons between the three? For those that have please share. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's minimal difference in operation between the first generation XDM and the older OSP model. Other than the integration of the optic system itself, tall sights, and redesigned slide serrations. In my OSP, however, I did end up going with a PRP stainless steel guide rod to give it a little more weight up front. Combined with the weight of the viridian, I feel that the slide tracks a bit flatter in recoil.
Pros for the Elite OSP on the other hand: While I haven't gotten it to the range yet (tomorrow hopefully), it has a much improved trigger in bother take-up and reset. The Elite also has the wider serrations for easier slide manipulation, not that it was all that difficult to begin with. Further, the fact that it comes factory with a magwell was a plus in my eyes. The negatives that I have are nitpicking and aren't necessarily the same for everyone: On the Elite model, with a full two-handed grip, the slide stop/release rubs the meat of my thumb to the point of irritation within 5 minutes of dry-firing. I would've preferred the ambi control to mimic the old design. Second, I think there should be an OSP model option with a front fiber optic sight. Nitpicking again, I almost wanted Springfield to update the frame's grip texture to be somewhere in line with the mod2 or hellcat grips just to make it different. Lastly all xdm models should come from factory with a rolled striker retainer pin since it's been a known potential issue for some time.

All in all, I'm sticking with the XDM's and Springfield as my go to. They feel better in my hands than most other manufacturers, and the grip safeties are a non-issue for me. I'm ready to see what comes in the next iteration or to see if Springfield will switch things up similarly to the most recent Walther release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts