Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned it earlier in the "stuff nobody cares about" thread, but I wanted to make a seperate thread about my new purchase to keeo a record of the changes it goes through as I modify it and get used to it.

As I bought it:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

I added the Holosun 507c amd the Magpul ladder cover section on the bottom rail after the first range trip. On that trip, I used the Bushnell TRS25, my old standby test optic. I think I've used it on every gun I've bought that can accept a rail mount optic. And it worked very well on this platform. I sighted it in VERY quickly, pretty much off-hand, just to play with the gun, but I was suprised how accurate and controllable this Stribog is. At ~15 yards, I was putting multiple rounds in the same hole, not even trying hard. Josh (SP9A1 owner and peer-pressure provider) and I both agreed that it has much less felt recoil than the A1 version.

Josh is lending me the first brace he used on his that broke and was repaired/replaced(?) under warranty. He replaced it with a much better brand, which I may or may not also do, doending on how well I like this loaner. So far, the only thing that bothers me is the folding/locking mechanism. I also mounted some BCM Mlok rail covers I had lying around, and while looking for those, came across my old Magpul AFG that I had on the 15-22. Decided to throw that on just to see how it looked and felt, and also it has a built-in hand stop at the end to keep my fingers from moving out too far forward near the loud end. It may or may not stay on for long. If I can find a good replacement, it'll come off. But for now, here's how it sits:

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Then I did some more digging around online for upgrades, fixes for known problems, etc. On the way, I have some curved mags, some 20 round mags, a short-stroke buffer that is supposed to keep rounds and cases from getting behind the bolt (known issue on some older generations; mine shouldn't be affected, but better to be safe than sorry) and also dampen recoil, a locking-detent charging handle 'shuttle' that won't deform from barrel heat, a lighter trigger spring (might put it in, might not), and an extended bolt release. If this thing continues to run without hiccups, it may be on a fast track to being my favorite blaster. Updates to come as it evolves.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Stribog stock looks pretty cool. I would scrap the magpul afg. Brace looks good. Are those proprietary mags?

·
Administrator
17,200 Posts
NICE!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stribog stock looks pretty cool. I would scrap the magpul afg. Brace looks good. Are those proprietary mags?
Thanks! When I first got it, ky wife wanted to know how much it cost. I told her and she seemed surprised. "It looks super-expensive," was her reason. I'll take that. Mags are, unfortunately, proprietary, and has seemingly been the bane of the gun since it was brought over to the US. There have been several upgrades. The latest upgrade is a curved mag, but the curved mags went back to all plastic feed lips like on the first generation mags, unlike the current version stick mags which upgraded to thick steel lips. I haven't experienced any stoppages with the steel-lipped 30 rounders, but I did order some 20 round mags because they look so much more fitting on the gun and are more portable in the backpack I plan on using for this if I ever need to take it somewhere. I also ordered a few of the 30 round curved mags, just in case I do run into problems down the road with the ones that came with it. I wish they would offer 20 round curved mags. That would be ideal. There are companies and even individuals who are making lowers that accept Scorpion mags (seems to be the way a lot of Bog owners go with great success) and even Colt mags. Supposedly, the lowers are not an FFL item... somehow? I guess it's not like an AR lower, even though it's serialized. I may pick up one of the Scorpion mag lowers someday, just for versatility. But if the OEM mags run fine, possibly not.
Looks cool. I'll keep that one in mind. The Magpul one I have on now is definitely just a placeholder.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SP9A1 is a straight blow-back. This is the SP9A3, which has a roller-delay system. When I first heard about that, I envisioned a complicated bolt design. It is remarkably simple. There are only like four moving parts. The bolt, a roller, a roller cam block thing, and the recoil spring/guide rod assembly. Crazy simple, but effective. Recoil is reduced quite a bit compared to my friend Josh's A1. The short-stroke buffer that I have on the way might even make it a little softer. I told Josh about it and he might order one for himself. The nice thing about such a simple system is that most of the parts so far have been fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to find a better riser for the red dot. For now, I think the mount that the Holosun comes with will work, but in the end, it will probably have to move up. I have this weekend off, which will probably be the next time I can get to the range with it to try it out.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update: parts came in yesterday. I installed the detent charging handle 'shuttle.' This took approximately 20 seconds. It's solid, much better constructed/better material than the factory part, and locks in place so the charging handle doesn't bounce back and forth. Nice piece.

Then I installed the short-stroke buffer. Had to get the wife to help me get the spring retainer on the guide rod because of the weird 2-piece telescoping guide rod design. So it took close to 4 minutes? Spring was oily. Wife got confused which end of the retainer was up. Otherwise it would have been a 2 minute deal. Charging the bolt back, it's VERY noticeable that there's less travel. But it still clears the magazine and ejector, so it should function just fine and hopefully prevent some malfunctions, as well as supposedly reducing some felt recoil from the mass moving back so much and so fast. Not sure about that, but it feels like an improvement.

Last, I replaced the bolt catch with an extended bolt catch. Much easier to manipulate with the trigger finger, or catch with the support thumb on a reload. I had to take the front pin out, which was kinda weird because the pin capture spring is there and makes it a little difficult, but a little tappy-tap with a small hammer and punch made quick work. Good little upgrade. I haven't replaced the trigger spring yet because I want to get a little more break-in time and see if I really like the trigger as-is or if it still needs lightening up. The spring was only like 7 bucks and got me over the free shipping limit, so if I use it, great. If not, oh well.

I'm hoping to get back to the range tomorrow. And I'm hoping the paperwork for my 9mm suppressor comes in soon. Still working options for a better optic or optic mount and maybe a light of some sort.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My magazines came a little early. 20 rounders and curved 30 rounders. I'm confused. I think the guys at Grand Power are too, because it seems they have some good ideas, but they don't enact them all at the same time. 30 round curved mags have plastic feed lips (bad) but they're curved (good) but they have a tilting follower (bad) and an unsupported last round bolt hold (bad). 30 round stick mags have steel feed lips (good) but a tilting follower (bad) and unsupported last-round bolt hold (bad) but also marked on the side for bullet capacity at the 20 and 30 mark (good, i guess) 20 round mag.... anti-tilt follower (Very Good!), a BEEFY last round bolt hold that butts up against the top of the mag body for support (Awesome!) and it drops free on mag release (the 30's both stick). So I like the 20's. They're probably what I'd most likely use in a backpacking situation, assuming they test out fine at the range. They're much less obtrusive. I really wish they come out with a 20 round, curved, steel feed lipped mag with an anti-tilt follower and a beefy, supported last round bolt hold. I think that would be the money setup.

Comparison pics below.

L > R
20 round > 30 round curved > 30 round straight

Sports equipment Rectangle Door Wood Wood stain

You can kinda see the anti-tilt piece on the 20 round follower. Smoked translucent plastic makes for a crappy pic. Weird thing to note: the first round hump of the follower is on the opposite side on the 20 round vs both 30 rounds.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Publication Tints and shades

Digging this look.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Looks Scorpionish:
Air gun Trigger Sports equipment Gun barrel Gun accessory

Anyway... hopefully get to try the new setup out tomorrow, weather permitting.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I worked 12 hours last night, got home at 6am, fell asleep on the couch in front of the tv, phone rang at like 9:15. Gun store says my stamp for my Rugged Obsidian 9mm suppressor came in. Looked at the dog. "Wanna go for a ride?"

Unfortunately, I have to work tonight, so I won't be able to test it out until Thursday or Friday.

How she sits in the long configuration:
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun

I'm curious how it will sound with regular ammo and subs. I also have a Polymer 80 with a threaded barrel to try it on.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tempting. However, I experienced a rather embarrassing event a few years ago that has convinced me shooting in the backyard is not a good thing. I'm patiently waiting for Thursday or Friday when I can get this and my P80 to the range and start experimenting with the long and short configurations of the can, as well as standard and subsonic rounds. Should be fun.

I'm also considering going with a tri-lug attachment. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'm learning. For now, I just have the fixed barrel adapter for the 'Bog and the standard piston for pistols. Anyone with tri-lug experience, feel free to chime in your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was finally able to get to the range Thursday morning after work. Buddy Josh came too, and brought his SP9A1 just for comparison's sake. Also his Zev OZ9. He has been thinking about getting a 9mm can as well, but wanted to wait to hear what mine would sound like before settling on one. The day after we tested the Obsidian out, he sent me a screenshot of his completed order for... an Obsidian 9. :)

The Polymer80 was the first gun we tested it on, in the long configuration, with three different ammo types: 115gr Blazer brass, 147gr Speer Lawman, and 158gr S&B subsonic. The Speer was also advertised as subsonic on SGAmmo's site though the box isn't marked as such, and there's definitely a difference between that and the 115gr, so I'm inclined to believe it. Starting with 115gr, I'm sure shooting wothout ear pro is possible with it, I wouldn't want to do it for too long. I put the ear pro back on to finish the magazine. The 147 was significantly quieter; what I would expect from a 'silenced' gun. Ear pro came off for tge remainder of that. 158, same thing, maybe even a little quiter. Every so often, with all weights of ammo, the slide would hang up. I think it may need the stronger power recoil spring, but I forgot it at home, so that will be another testing day. Josh's Zev ran everything 100% in the same order, and everything sounded more or less the same, as expected. In the short configuration, the 115gr doesn't sound suppressed much at all, but the 147 and 158 are still do-able without ear pro for a little while.

The Stribogs: Went back to the long configuration, with the fixed barrel adapter. Even 115gr is comfortable for a while without ear pro, though again, it wouldn't be my preference to do it all day long. The subs, on the other hand... not exactly movie quiet, but darn close. It definitely put a smile on my face to pull the trigger as fast as I could and empty a 20 round mag of 158 gr subs into a target 15 yards away. POI didn't change much either, amd groups were about as tight as you can get, even shooting at speed. I had seen a video comparing the port pop difference between the blowback and roller-delay versions of the Stribog, so I was curious if we would be able to notice any difference with Josh's. Happy to report they sound the same to my ears. Both guns ran 100% reliably with all ammo types, in both long and short suppressor configurations.

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to get pics or video, but we had both just come off a 12 hour shift, and I was a little too excited and tired to think straight. Next range trip, I'll try to get some pics and video.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts