Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does grain weight affect recoil? I know the +P's have a bigger punch, but does the grain weights differ as well?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Both the number of grain of powder, and the grains in the bullet will effect recoil.
If you don't reload you don't realy have any control over the powder charge, so all you are left with is the weight of the bullet, and I assume thats what you were asking.
With defferent bullet weights you can kinda chose the type of recoil, but not realy how much.
Generally speaking with a lighter bullet you will get a faster recoil impulse, and with a heaver bullet you will get a slower impulse, but they will have about the same amount of energy. You have a lot more control over this if you load your owne, but with factory ammo you get what you get.
This is all in refrence to say target ammo compared to target ammo, and defensive ammo compared to defensive ammo.
Like a 155gr Gold Dot will have about the same amount of energy as a 180gr Gold Dot, it's just that the recoil will feel diffrent, and putting the +P, or +P+ in there is just going to push everything faster. One is light and fast, and the other is heavy and slow, and they will feel diffrent.
And there are diffrent schools of thought on what's better for stopping power, light and fast, or heavy and slow.
My vote go to shot placement.
My advice if you are trying to pick a round for self defense is to buy some ammo with the same kind of bullet, but diffrent wieghts of bullets, and try them and just pick the one you like.
Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I'm asking because I have never shot 147 grain through my XD9 before. I just ordered some RA9T ammo and was wondering if there woudl be a big difference. Thanks for the information. All I've shot was 115g WWB (2000+) and 115g Cor-Bon +P (only 5 rounds, they are expensive :( ) I am hoping the muzzle flip / recoil isn't too different between the Ranger T ammo and the regular 115g WWB I am used to shooting. The +P Cor-Bon ammo had a much bigger kick i thought then the 115g WWB's I'm used to. I am planning on shooting only a full clip + 1 in the chamber for practice since I only ordered 1 box of the RA9T ammo (tight on cash) but I heard it is pretty reliable through the XD-9 service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cool topic, I was wondering aswell.

I shoot 180gr FMJ at the range, and 155gr JHP for Defence. As I understand it with the lighter 155gr I should have less "felt" recoil allowing for a faster, more accurate follow up shot. Correct?
If so I think im on the right track.

Thanx for the good info. :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Savage*Henry said:
Cool topic, I was wondering aswell.

I shoot 180gr FMJ at the range, and 155gr JHP for Defence. As I understand it with the lighter 155gr I should have less "felt" recoil allowing for a faster, more accurate follow up shot. Correct?
If so I think im on the right track.

Thanx for the good info. :D

hmm just know that many people use different grains to adjust POI for comp shoots and what not.. so i do suggest knowing how ur 180 and ur probably hotter 155 shoot.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Recoil is a subjective thing, everyone percieves it differently. Heavy bullets tend to be soft and pushy and light bullets tend to be snappier. Most competetive shooters, like myself, tend to prfer the heavy bullets.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I shoot 147gr Ranger Talon for a defensive round. I used it my Beretta 92f 14yrs and my former dept. still uses it. I carry it in my XDSC9 and it shoots quite well at 25yrds, better than me actually, since my eyes have become older.

The recoil, for me, is no problem, but my large hands might be a factor in that. I don't notice a difference between that round and the 115gr. WWB.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I shoot 147gr Ranger Talon for a defensive round. I used it my Beretta 92f 14yrs and my former dept. still uses it. I carry it in my XDSC9 and it shoots quite well at 25yrds, better than me actually, since my eyes have become older.

The recoil, for me, is no problem, but my large hands might be a factor in that. I don't notice a difference between that round and the 115gr. WWB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts