Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a new GPS as I'm still rockin' the GPS V from Garmin from at least 2005.

I'm looking for something that's rugged that I can take hiking, camping, & ATVing.

I also want to get into geocaching more. I tried it a bit on my older unit and it was kind of a PITA, but I think it will be easier with a newer unit.

I'm looking at the Garmin 62st and the Garmin Rino 530hcx. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these units. All of the reviews look good, and I'm not sure what to get.

I hate my touchscreen phone so I'm kind of avoiding touchscreen GPS units. Also, we have little Motorola walkie talkies for radios already, but the Rino would be more powerful.

Garmin 62st ($500): I like the buttons on better. Seems easier to navigate. I also like that it comes loaded with a 100k map already.

Cons are there's no radio. It can share stuff wirelessly though. Also says it's paperless for geocaching.

Garmin Rino 530hcx ($350): I like that it has a radio. I think my Father-in-Law has a Rino (I'm going to check) so that would be nice. Wife also wants maybe a Rino 120 or 130 if I get this unit. I also have a SPOT unit so I think I might be able to talk to Search & Rescue with this if I needed. I'm going to call and talk to someone on S&R about that, but the person is gone on vacation right now.

Cons are you have to buy a GMRS license and the basemap sucks. I would have to buy the 100k at an additional $100. Even still though, it's $50 cheaper than the 62st unless I get the extended warranty, then I break even. I don't like the buttons on this one as well as the other unit either, but it may be a learning curve. Not paperless for geocaching, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

So, does anyone have either of these units? If so, what do you think about them?

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Bump.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have been considering the 62st for my replacement GPS. I need it to communicate with a marine VHF radio (which it will). Still waiting for prices to drop and any new-tech bugs to be worked out. Don't know anything about the Rhino----not interested in the radio aspect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts