Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one I really think that i need a trigger job on my 4in ss gp100 it is to havy I think in da dose any one have any opinions on this I dont really know any thing about it so I need help and any other mods people have done to there gp100 that they liked

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Hi every one I really think that i need a trigger job on my 4in ss gp100 it is to havy I think in da dose any one have any opinions on this I dont really know any thing about it so I need help and any other mods people have done to there gp100 that they liked
Great question, all she needs is a new main spring. Check out Wolff Springs.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I reworked the trigger on my own GP100 and it made a huge difference. Take your trigger group out of the gun and buy some wet sanding paper. Start with 600 grit paper and some oil on a FLAT surface and start working out all machine or casting marks and work your way all the way to 1200 grit which will polish it. I stoned my engagement surfaces slightly and polished them but unless you have the tools for that, dont even touch them. If you change the angles, you could make the gun unsafe. Now that everything that contacts another metal part is all polished up and 100% flat, replace your springs with lighter spring weights. I did mine several years ago so I don't remember the weights I used but my gun is 100% reliable. My single action is in the 2 lb. range and my double action is in the 5-6 lb range if I remember correctly. The trigger break is not as crisp as a S&W, it has a bit of creep but I think it's about as good as you can get on a Ruger.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
My experience with my GP100 is about the same as what ichy did.

The springs I used were the lightest that Wolff had for the GP100. I think they came in a set with several weights. I have never had a primer fail to ignite, using all sorts of ammunition.

·
Premium Member
8,308 Posts
My GP100 has a sweet trigger out-the-box.
Guess I was lucky.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Great question, all she needs is a new main spring. Check out Wolff Springs.
that's the easiest and safest way to modify the Ruger trigger yourself.

I think a set of springs is maybe 15 bucks?

I keep meaning to pick some up for my SP101...

another trick is to polish the contact points in the trigger group (don't do this unless you feel comfortable. AND POLISH. Don't do any heavy sanding or grinding.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I used the Wolf spring kit in my SP101 and it made a huge differance. My Lymann digital trigger pull guage only goes to 12lbs and the factory SP101 trigger maxed that out at about half way back on the trigger pull. After installing the Wolf 10# main spring and 8# trigger spring the trigger pull weight dropped to 10lbs 4oz. This was on a DAO model.

When I get brave I plan on taking the trigger pack apart and polishing all the critical parts to see if I can get it down a little more.

I believe the spring kit I got said it was also for the GP100 and I paid $9 + shipping for the kit at Midway USA.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
when dropping in a lighter mainspring, you may run into some ammo failing to fire from light hammer strikes. If it's not a carry gun, this isn't a huge concern. Just something to be advised of. Certain ammo will be more prone to this than others. If one brand gives issues, put in a heavier spring or try another load.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
you better have a thread showing the results.

Don't come in here making teasing posts like that and not back it up!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a GP 100 and shoot some USPSA matches with it.
The gun shop said they would install a spring kit in it for $10.00 total.
I'm keeping an eye on this thread now.
Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts