Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this news report and then shake your head.......

Unknown robber gets away with victim's own handgun - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Unknown robber gets away with victim's own handgun

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The Myrtle Beach Police Department is investigating a reported armed robbery that left a woman without her unloaded handgun and wallet Saturday afternoon.
According to a police report, the victim told officers she was parking her vehicle in an underground section of a parking garage located along Costa Verde Drive shortly after noon when an unknown white male approached her passenger door and opened it.
The suspect allegedly told the victim "Give me all your money or I'll kill you." At that time, the victim said she and the suspect began to struggle over her purse in the passenger seat. She said she opened the glove box and grabbed her black and wooden .38 semi-automatic handgun.
According to the victim, she pointed the unloaded gun at the suspect and pulled the trigger twice in an attempt to scare him.
The suspect allegedly grabbed the gun and the victim's hand, snatching the gun away. He then pointed it at her and pulled the trigger several times before getting away with the victim's wallet.
The suspect has been described as a white male standing between 5'9" and 6'1" and weighing between 150 and 160 pounds. No further description was given.
Anyone with information should contact the Myrtle Beach Police Department.

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
Should of carried a knife...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Or pistol whipped his ass! Here, let me pull the trigger to prove it's not loaded!
Nah, she should have asked the guy to wait while she loaded it.

If it would have been a semi-auto, maybe he would have waited while she racked the slide, or worse, he could have killed her after he racked the slide after taking it from her.

Why carry a piece if it's not loaded? Dat iz toopid....

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thinking about this sice I posted, would you have drawn and shot because the words "or I'll kill you" were used?

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
Just thinking about this sice I posted, would you have drawn and shot because the words "or I'll kill you" were used?
Yup. I dont know what that man is capable of doing.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
There goes the some folks idea of carrying an unchambered handgun. Had she loaded the gun, she would still have her purse and her gun and not be having nightmares of somone robbing her and trying to shoot her with her own gun.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Stupid is stupid does

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
There goes the some folks idea of carrying an unchambered handgun. Had she loaded the gun, she would still have her purse and her gun and not be having nightmares of somone robbing her and trying to shoot her with her own gun.
The nightmares of being robbed will eventually go away. You never get over taking another person's life in close quarters like that.

This still goes back to my argument that a gun is useless unless it goes bang when you pull the trigger. Racking the slide doesn't scare anyone any more than dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.

·
Registered
42 Posts
An unloaded firearm is about as useful as a shredded condom.

·
Registered
17,492 Posts
An unloaded gun is about as useful as a rock.
I ALWAYS keep one chambered.

Glad she survived. From the posted story, if the first couple of rounds had just not gone off, she may not have been so lucky when the BG tried it.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I 100 percent agree with Uncle Ted, I also have a deep aversion to unloaded firearms!

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
From what was supplied, we don't know what happened. Her husband/signifigant other might have unloaded it without her knowledge. She could have carried it in there for years loaded but last week it was used at the range and never topped off. Too bad it didn't have some nice hollow points for him.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Am I the only having doubts that she actually had a rare "semi-automatic .38" ?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The reporter is also uneducated about guns. Probably a .380. It is technicaly a semi automatic .38. I agree that we don't know enough about why the gun did not have a round chambered. She obviously thought it was loaded. Dispite what the reporter wrote, They get facts wrong all the time, she did try to protect herself. As for the BG, he made the threat that he would kill her. That means that he had a weapon of some kind and intended to use it. So that makes him fair game to get shot.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The nightmares of being robbed will eventually go away. You never get over taking another person's life in close quarters like that.

This still goes back to my argument that a gun is useless unless it goes bang when you pull the trigger. Racking the slide doesn't scare anyone any more than dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.
I guess you have never been shot at...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts