Shoot it yet?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Very nice! Congratulations!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I know how happy you must be getting a new gun.

I recently picked up a factory colt socom upper to round out an empty corner in my safe. I've wanted one of those for a while. Especially the 14.5" one since they are among the more rare variant.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Yep.

A rmalite R ifle

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I can remember a time when you couldn't hardly give away an A2 upper.

Now, you hardly ever see them for sale and demand has increased.

Triangle handguards went with the old A1 carryhandle though.

Not that there's anything wrong with either.

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Shoot it quick. I do not know what Armalite's warranty period is. Find out how well the barrel is indexed. For those who do not know what I am talking about, this means how close to absolutely dead centered the rear site aperture is to being EXACTLY dead centered left to right with the rifle shooting exactly dead centered right to left at all applicable ranges.

It MUST be within 4 clicks. Yes it is important. Also I would blacken that barrel by whatever proper means. Enjoy your rifle.

Hundreds of AR15 builds all done the correct way.

·
Premium Member
128,156 Posts
Cool beans! :)

·
Administrator
22,442 Posts
Shoot it quick. I do not know what Armalite's warranty period is. Find out how well the barrel is indexed. For those who do not know what I am talking about, this means how close to absolutely dead centered the rear site aperture is to being EXACTLY dead centered left to right with the rifle shooting exactly dead centered right to left at all applicable ranges.

It MUST be within 4 clicks. Yes it is important. Also I would blacken that barrel by whatever proper means. Enjoy your rifle.

Hundreds of AR15 builds all done the correct way.
And if it is not?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Those national match guys want their stuff right. If it's marketed as a national match rifle, they should've used the best parts they had for it.

Most especially the barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
ArmyGuy45 has asked the good question. "And if it is not?" It depends on how bad the barrel indexing is and if the end user feels comfortable with it. Match AR15 running OEM irons most constantly fiddle around with wind adjustments. Left ... right ... sometimes up and down.

The AR15A2 platform seems to have enough up and down front and rear iron site adjustment. It is the left to right that is a bummer. Just consider it a design flaw. That carrying handle trough just is not wide enough. This means there may not be enough physical movement of the rear irons.

This means that if the barrel is not indexed properly, (not particularly difficult ... but time consuming) the sites might be zeroed right to left with the rear site aperture offset either to the left or right. Usually the left. This means that shooting at long range in the wind you may run out of rear adjustment.

(Indexing meaning the very slight rotation of the barrel either to the right or left to center the rear sites.)

Live with it or return the rifle to the factory for proper barrel indexing. But ... understand that while Armalite is a top tier AR15 producer the products, (rifles) are mass assembled quickly. They are not precision builds. Armalite may not want to take the time to fix the barrel mis indexing. Takes time.

Do not fret. Anybody can re index a AR15 barrel. Watch some Videos on YouTube. Some might show you how. You will need the gadgets shown in the better vids. Laser bore sighter. A 100 yard minimum bench rest. If no range then a black carrying strap and about 30 feet of clear view.

Just another old fashioned way of building precision AR15 rifles. Ancient history. Hope this helps. Understand that today this really only applies to AR15 rifles mounting and running the OEM taper pin front site base along with the factory rear iron sites. The new type builds go around the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Enjoy the Colt.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts