Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I got tired of waiting for a magazine well for my XD-40 Tactical so I made my own. The Magloc magazine well is OK but its open at the front and I didn’t like that. The Barsto one looks great but the requirement to by all new base plates for my magazine was discouraging.

So I got thinking about making one of my own designs. We have a small CNC milling machine at work and got playing around with some designs and finally came up with the following. This design does not require any modification to the frame of the XD, but it did require quite a bit of custom fitting to get it on there nicely and not affect the free drop of an empty magazine

At present this one is made of PVC. I am going to try it out at the next USPSA shoot next weekend. If I like it I will probably remake it out of black Delrin. I would like to make a couple of minor changes to the design and the use of the Delrin should hold up better to the abuse of competition then the PVC will. I used the PVC since I had a nice block of it in the scrap bin at work and I would have had to order the Delrin and it a bit pricey compared to the PVC. Figure if this works out I will remake it with the changes and better material.

It does require the use of a bumpers on the magazine. I made some magazine bumpers from some dense foam rubber and some really good double sticky tape.

I would love to hear your comments.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Wow nice good ol American inginuity. I need a milling machine. Did you ever think to try the pearce plus twos they would stick out of the bottom vary nicely.

·
Premium Member
21,736 Posts
:D :D :D very nice looking, if yu dicide to sell some let me know

·
Registered
34 Posts
Super Job!!!!!!

looks very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Very cool. How does it attach? I can't tell if its 2 pieces or one. I see the screws but don't quite see what they are gripping. I'll take 2 when you go into production.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
A_Med look down the center of the well and you can see the split of the two halves. Interesting idea isnt it.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Well done!!! Keep us posted on how it performs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
:shock: WHEW MAN THATS SMART!!! A HELL OF A JOB !!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I didn’t reply earlier, I spent most of the weekend working on stuff around the house for the “girlfriend with two rings”. I got to keep her happy so I can go to the USPSA match this coming weekend and try this magazine well out.

I must say the response was much larger and more positive then I expected. Thanks for all the compliments!

As ajamesp51 point out it is in two pieces that splits along the same plane as the mold parting line of the grip. The two cap screws visible hold the two halves together. It is retained by two small lugs inside front and back of the magazine well that grabs the bottom most slots of the grip texture of the grip. Combine the lugs with a fairly tight fit around the grip is it remarkably secure. This is also why it took a lot of custom fitting it needed to be tight but I found if it was too tight it would squeeze the grip just enough to cause the magazine to not drop freely. I hope that with a couple of minor design changes I can make the Delrin one easier to fit.

I had not really considered selling them. At present it takes several hours of machine time on the CNC. The CNC we have is a rather small bench top machine and does not have a lot of horse power. One definite problem is that if you have stippled or other wise modified your grip texture the magazine well probably won’t work as the lug will not have anything to grip. Assuming the design changes makes it easier to fit or requiring no fitting to your XD how much do you think people would be willing to pay for such a magazine well design?

Again thanks for all the positive feed back and I will let you guys know how well it work after this coming match.

mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I help setup the match on Saturday and we got to shoot the stages. I then went back and shot it again twice on Sunday at the actual match. So I had about 350 rounds through my XD-40 Tactical with the new magazine well installed. That’s at least 35 reloads as I was shooting limited-10. Overall it worked very well. It never came loose or popped off and all-in-all I barely knew it was there. I thought that was a good thing. It did not negative affect my reloads and it seem to give me a very positive position for my hand and help give me a more consistent grip on the weapon.

Now if my brain had just been as good. On Saturday I shot one array of the second stage from the wrong side of a barricade for 9 procedurals (-90pts). Needless to say I have DFL wrapped up for that stage. On the Classifier stage on my first time thru Sunday I shot 4 no-shoots. Overall I just made lots of little mental errors, from trying to go just a bit to fast.

So I think I will start working on the redesign and order some Delrin. I also think I will use thread insert in the new version so I don’t have to worry about thread stripping easily. Anyone interested I will probably make several of them since I will have the material.

mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty, I have made revision B of my magazine well. This one was machined from black Delrin rather then the type I PVC I used last time. Unfortunately it still required more hand fitting than I liked and the geometry around the front bottom was not quite right yet, but after a few hours with a set of jewler's files and my dremel it fits good and looks pretty good IMHO. In the one picture you can also see a new thicker basepad I made for the magazine. The magwell works with a factory basepad but will be recessed about 3/32 inch. A 1/8 inch thick bumper on a factory basepad works fine; I have a home made bumper on the other factory base pad in the picture. Sorry the photos are so bad I will try to take better ones in the next day or two.

Later
mcb

1 - 20 of 27 Posts