Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, after months of tender massaging the mom... A great salesmen came along and helped her make her mind up. He said If you don't get it soon you wont be able to again... ever... EVER! Thanks Obama! ;)

My mom who has always been at some level opposed to firearms in the house has giving me the OK to get my XD because she is afraid we will loose the right. *Sniff* She makes me so proud!

Now to business... What I need is an XD that I can CCW when I get my permit. I have a slender frame so I'm thinking I need a compact, but I do not like the Sub Compact 3". I put in a range report a few months ago where I used the XD9 Service and I shot fantastically with it. However I am sad to learn XD9 does not come in compact...

I've fired 9mm .40 .357mag so far. I was fine with 9mm, the 40 snapped up to much for my tastes, the 357 was for fun and doesn't count :p

I have yet to get to the range and shoot the 45 but I hear it's a different recoil from the 40. Not so much a snap up but a punch back. This sounds fine and having the capabilities of 45 would serve my defensive purposes very well. I would of course rather have a compact version of the XD9 that I could switch to it's 16round goodness with a mag change, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What are you guys thinking here? Any options I missed? I'm heading to my two stores here today to check out prices and availability... which is almost non existent.

XD45c 4" w/tax is $556 here.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well the M has a thin design, you might want to consider that one. If you don't have wide palms, the SC9 might be good. Depends on feels better to YOU! Hold them all!

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Alright, after months of tender massaging the mom... A great salesmen came along and helped her make her mind up. He said If you don't get it soon you wont be able to again... ever... EVER! Thanks Obama! ;)

My mom who has always been at some level opposed to firearms in the house has giving me the OK to get my XD because she is afraid we will loose the right. *Sniff* She makes me so proud!

Now to business... What I need is an XD that I can CCW when I get my permit. I have a slender frame so I'm thinking I need a compact, but I do not like the Sub Compact 3". I put in a range report a few months ago where I used the XD9 Service and I shot fantastically with it. However I am sad to learn XD9 does not come in compact...

I've fired 9mm .40 .357mag so far. I was fine with 9mm, the 40 snapped up to much for my tastes, the 357 was for fun and doesn't count :p

I have yet to get to the range and shoot the 45 but I hear it's a different recoil from the 40. Not so much a snap up but a punch back. This sounds fine and having the capabilities of 45 would serve my defensive purposes very well. I would of course rather have a compact version of the XD9 that I could switch to it's 16round goodness with a mag change, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What are you guys thinking here? Any options I missed? I'm heading to my two stores here today to check out prices and availability... which is almost non existent.

XD45c 4" w/tax is $556 here.

Thanks for the help guys!
The XD9 SC will do 16 round mags with a grip sleeve. If that's all you're after, no issues. I believe there is little to no size difference/advantage between the XD9SC and the XD45C. The 45 kick is more straight back, not as much muzzle flip as the .40. 9mm is the same but less of it. I carry the 9SC because I shoot very well with it and it's versatile. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just wasn't sure what my accuracy with the SC would be. Unfortunately there are no SC sized gun at my range to rent so I can't really ever find out till after the purchase.

I know the XD will always shoot better than I can make it but do you find the 3" sights difficult to line up (I'm sure you are fine now but in the beginning :p)? Which if I am correct, is the big accuracy factor between the different size barrels? Ease of lining the sights up on the longer barrels vs shorter?

I need to get my hands on a SC and dry fire it a few times to watch the sights I guess. Hows the recoil on the 9mm Sub? The SC size would solve my CCW problems...

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I just wasn't sure what my accuracy with the SC would be. Unfortunately there are no SC sized gun at my range to rent so I can't really ever find out till after the purchase.

I know the XD will always shoot better than I can make it but do you find the 3" sights difficult to line up (I'm sure you are fine now but in the beginning :p)? Which if I am correct, is the big accuracy factor between the different size barrels? Ease of lining the sights up on the longer barrels vs shorter?

I need to get my hands on a SC and dry fire it a few times to watch the sights I guess. Hows the recoil on the 9mm Sub? The SC size would solve my CCW problems...
Accuracy is maybe slight less with the SC vs. the Service (I have both). I just keep in mind that if I'm carring it I'm probably not going to need 25 yards plus, or even more than 15 yards for that matter. If you're out farther than that it would be difficult to make a SD case. ;)

I find both easy to line up sights, but you could always get the SC with night sights or have them installed if this is a concern. Most holster makers can accomodate the larger sights. The recoil on the 9SC is not bad to me at all (I'm 6' 210 with large hands).

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're out farther than that it would be difficult to make a SD case. ;)
Exactly... I'm going to hit the store now and see what I can find. Thank you for the SC insight I will def take a look at both. And heck the SC is cheaper :p

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Exactly... I'm going to hit the store now and see what I can find. Thank you for the SC insight I will def take a look at both. And heck the SC is cheaper :p
There ya go. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Check out the Glock 19, Sig P239 or a compact 1911 in .45 or 9mm. I'm going to carry a HK USP9C when I get to GA but now I'm fortunate enough to have a HD handgun and a carry gun.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
My wife is 5'2 and shoots the 45c fine. Its not too much recoil for her. You will be fine. She prefers the 9sc though.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Check out the Glock 19, Sig P239 or a compact 1911 in .45 or 9mm. I'm going to carry a HK USP9C when I get to GA but now I'm fortunate enough to have a HD handgun and a carry gun.
You can carry a Tec 9 here in GA as long as it's semi auto and you can conceal it. Very friendly here. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
45c. Recoil is not an issue. I sold my 40sc, cause I didnt like the barrel length, and I did not enjoy shooting it. Hiding the 4inch barrel is easy. Get the 45c, you can conceal it easily, and its a good range gun. I love my 45c.......even more than my 1911's! who would have thought.:?:

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys...

I GOT IT! When I got them in my hand I really just plain liked the XD9SC. $556 out the door All black (Or blued rather). I am so buzzed right now! ^.^ It fit all my needs of defense and cheap-er range shooting Ha!

I know it's good out of the box but is there any tweaks I should look into getting? Whats this polishing thing everyone keeps talking about? WOO I feel good! I'm so excited this being my first firearm. I need a good quality low price gun box that I can keep it loaded and ready inside with quick access.

The shopping never ends... Thanks for your help everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I GOT IT! When I got them in my hand I really just plain liked the XD9SC.
Good choice.

My wife has the XD45c for home defense, which is a great gun. However, when it came time for me to buy one I chose the XD9sc since I'll be carrying it, and size matters! It's also two-thirds the price to shoot of the .45 due to ammo costs.

I think you'll be happy!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Way to go mom! Not sure why you don't like the subcompacts, but I love the hell out of my XD9sc. I think it's easy to shoot, easy to line up the sights and easy to conceal. I had the service model (which also rocks) for a year before getting the SC and I now think the SC is the cat's ass. FWIW, I don't even want to shoot the 45c because I'm afraid I'll fall in love with it and now is just not a good time for me to buy another gun. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. Whichever way you go, enjoy it and be safe!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts