Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I managed to get a quick lunch shooting session in with the new Nighthawk, then Sunday I got a chance to put a few hundred rounds through it.

The pros -

As you'd expect the fit and finish is remarkable. If you take the gun apart, but the slide only back on the frame or the bushing on the barrel, the fit is perfection. Clearly and obviously a gunsmith spent a bunch of time putting this gun together. And it's cool that you know who the gunsmith is, his name and the test target are included and his initials are stamped on the frame. Probably though the most special thing about the gun is the way every part oozes quality, even things like the slide stop and the safety lever are machined from a single piece of metal and they're mini works of art. The trigger is set right at 3.5 lbs, and another cool thing is test it 10 times in a row, 3.5 lbs every time. The trigger has, as you'd expect, zero creep or grit.

I shot it with my normal collection of 1911 mags that include Sig, Chip Mc, Checkmate, and the ones Nighthawk sent, and all functioned fine with my reloads.

As far as accuracy it's as accurate as any gun I own, it's right there with my SW 1911 with the spherical bushing (my most accurate gun). The adjustable sights are awesome with very solid clicks and white outlines of night sights.

Cons -

It ain't cheap.

A couple of other interesting things, it shoots pretty much the same as my SW 1911 and the SW has the titanium spherical bushing which really locks the gun up solid, plus a 3 lb trigger. It's pretty impressive that the Nighthawk does the same accuracy without the special bushing or FLGR. The Nighthawk also makes the Dan Wesson Vbob look like a heck of a bargain, for over a $1,000 less you get a gun with bits and pieces of the same quality that you see in the Nighthawk, the only difference being the Wesson, like my TRP or my SW, is hand fitted by gunsmith(s) where the Nighthawk is one guy. I'm still flirting with making the Dan Wesson a carry gun, I like it that much.

And I am changing out the wood grips for VZ's with the Nighthawk logo, I'm used to the grip you get with G10's and the wood grips, while gorgeous, are too slick.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the accuracy on the VBob?
It's just behing the Nighthawk and SW, still very good. Better than any polymer I've ever shot.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
It's just behing the Nighthawk and SW, still very good. Better than any polymer I've ever shot.
Pish posh! :lol:

I kinda figured you might like it. ;)

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Looking at used Wilsons yet? :-D

I think you need a Blackhawk with Gary Reeder love next though. Barrel band on it or you compromised!

(for real, blackhawks are one of my favorite pistols, great looks, accurate and you need a stick of dynamite to tear one up)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Looking at used Wilsons yet? :-D

I think you need a Blackhawk with Gary Reeder love next though. Barrel band on it or you compromised!

(for real, blackhawks are one of my favorite pistols, great looks, accurate and you need a stick of dynamite to tear one up)

:grin:

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Youprobably already did on another thread but could you show us a pic of the NightHawk:mrgreen:
I'll post some more when I'm on my desk computer, but there's some on the other thread.

Used a sand rest today, 30 feet 1 small hole.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found the other thread with your pics....................

My god, that thing is a work of art. nothing quite like a really good looking 1911.
Most of the new polymer framed pistols just don't seem to have much character. The older model guns,1911's, Browning hi-power's, ect. they all have very original and unique looks, nice lines, and personality.

Anyway, that thing is sweet to say the least. Congrats.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found the other thread with your pics....................

My god, that thing is a work of art. nothing quite like a really good looking 1911.
Most of the new polymer framed pistols just don't seem to have much character. The older model guns,1911's, Browning hi-power's, ect. they all have very original and unique looks, nice lines, and personality.

Anyway, that thing is sweet to say the least. Congrats.
Thanks man.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts