Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my primary vehicle broke down last week. We have a third car that hasn't been driven in over a year. So I started using it. I haven't had a chance to get the inspection updated yet. The gamble didn't work. I got stopped by the police. I had the XD40 with me,but I don't have a CCW. I always keep it on the seat next to me unconcealed. Before the officer approached the car I removed the mag. As he approached the vehicle I told him that I had a hand gun. He seemed cool about it and asked me for it and the mag and placed it on the roof of the car. When he returned after I got my ticket he handed it back to me. He said "nice weapon, how much did you pay for it?" He also advised me to keep it on the seat unconsealed. He also said that I should look into getting a CCW. He was pretty cool about it. Most cops appreciate it when you let them know well in advance when your packin.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good job. Worst thing you can do is make an officer think you're packing and that you don't want him to know about it, so letting him know ahead of time was a nice move. Hope the ticket wasn't too expensive, and I agree, get that CCW permit!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The cops I used to work with (before they went full time and didn't have time for lowly security work) seem to love the way the XD feels and always compliment it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your very lucky he could have burned your butt for having a loaded mag.Attempt to go armed is a felony and you would lose your right to buy anymore firearms .And have to get rid of the ones you own because its illeagle for a felon to pocess firearms.If you see that officer again you should shake his hand and thank him.He ia one in a 100 officers that would look over that.Be careful and good luck AL

·
Registered
782 Posts
BigA said:
Your very lucky he could have burned your butt for having a loaded mag.Attempt to go armed is a felony and you would lose your right to buy anymore firearms .And have to get rid of the ones you own because its illeagle for a felon to pocess firearms.If you see that officer again you should shake his hand and thank him.He ia one in a 100 officers that would look over that.Be careful and good luck AL
Open carry is legal in VA.

·
Registered
833 Posts
BigA said:
Even in gun unfreindly MD you can have the mags loaded just not in the gun. But if I lived in VA I would have a CC its very simple to get, damn people who live in shall issue states not taking advantage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always have my XD in the case behind the seat in my truck, w/ both mags loaded, just not in the gun. It's legal here in WI, so nothing to worry about.
Congrats on the compliment on the pistol.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yeah man, get a CCW. It's easy in VA, assuming you're not some sick sumbitch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is open carry not legal in your states? here in Nebraska there is absolutely no concealed carry, but open cary is perfectly legal in 99.9% of the state. Omaha requires you to get a permit first.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Open carry is legal, but having a loaded firearm in the car is always a confusing legal matter. Just get a CCW, and then you have more options.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do many states have a law against having a loaded pistol in a car. Nebraska oddly bans loaded shotguns, but not rifles or pistols.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good to hear to didnt get in any trouble though. Where you going to or from the range?

Curiously, I know it varys from state to state but here in Houston I have been told a few different things. All by employees etc. at gun and ammunition stores, none though from an actual officer. Some stated that if you did not have your concealed handgun liscense and were stopped going to or from the range; you'de be doing so at a high risk. You would have to be counting on the officer having a good day; even if you presented a receipt from the range. They also said having a gun any where inside the vehicle is considered concealed.

Others stated that you can transport to and from the range without a CHL because the standards are slightly different for buying a pistol and getting a CHL. I on the other hand have read they are the same. An employee at the range told me that and said: you can't get a CHL while having a DUI/DWI (under influence/while intoxicated) until either 3 or 5 years has passed, I don't remember which. However, I have read nothing to that extent or any for that matter of requirements for buying and getting a CHL. If what they said is true, then that would mean that everyone who has a DUI/DWI on there record and purchased a firearm won't be able to shoot it for a long time because they wouldn't be able to get it legaly to and from the range, lol. So I am not sure how that would work out for many.

So if you don't have a CHL you basicaly can't leave your house with the gun. If you can't unconceal a handgun while it's in your car, in or out of the case, how is it possible to drive to the range and back with it? I was just told that having it stashed under the seat is equaly concealed as if the gun were taped to the steering wheel.

I only take mine to and from the range as of now just for this confusion, hopefully I'll get my CHL next month regardless just to avoid this. Hypotheticaly, if it's possible and legal to have a gun while inside a vehicle because it's "unconcealed," why would it be any different than being carrying a gun outside of the car as long as it is not concealed?

Anyways though, glad you didn't get in any trouble! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here in TN if you dont have a carry permit.You cant have ammo with in arms reach of the firearm or its attempted to go armed.I thought it was like that in all states.Its very easy to get a carry permit here.I think that law was brought into effect so they could get more money from carry permits.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
aheXD40 said:
I always have my XD in the case behind the seat in my truck, w/ both mags loaded, just not in the gun. It's legal here in WI, so nothing to worry about.
Congrats on the compliment on the pistol.
Is this true?
Get your CCW to avoid this in the future!

·
Registered
415 Posts
BigA said:
Here in TN if you dont have a carry permit.You cant have ammo with in arms reach of the firearm or its attempted to go armed.I thought it was like that in all states.Its very easy to get a carry permit here.I think that law was brought into effect so they could get more money from carry permits.
Everyone needs to learn that gun laws are different state by state. When my family and friends moved from New Jersey, it took a while to teach them that they had more freedoms in Florida. Also, Florida believes in making money off of carry licenses. That is why they honor most other states licenses if they are resident only, but will "sell" a license to nearly anybody.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ohio: Rediculous "plain sight" laws since any firearm in a vehicle that is loaded is considered concealed. It must be holstered on one's self in plain view, in a locked case in plain view, or in a locked glove box.

Kentucky is the king! No CHL is even needed to carry a loaded firearm in one's glovebox and no it doesn't have to be locked either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts