Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my XDM compact 9mm last monday from bud's online. After the longest week of my life, I picked it up today.

This is my first gun, and so far I love it. I had both of my parents meet me out at the gun range, neither have ever shot a handgun before. They both had a blast. I don't think I've ever seen my mom smile as big as she was after emptying her first magazine.

I'm so happy with this gun. I'll probably be shooting it every day this week.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Congrats!! enjoy your new tool and be sure to be safe! Glad your family Enjoyed it! I let my mom and her boyfriend shoot my xdm for the first time a couple of weekends ago and they loved it! I also love buds!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats on the new XDm and it's nice to hear that your folks had a blast too...:) Be safe...

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Congrats on the new XDm. Be safe and shoot often.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't say enough good things about bud's. My dad will be buying a shotgun soon and I'll be making him buy from there. I ordered my gun Monday night after they closed. The gun was shipped by 9am Tuesday, and at my FFL Thursday.

I do have one question though about my gun. The loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide barely barely pops up. You really have to look at it to tell if it's flat or popping up. I feel like something is wrong with it. I think I've seen pictures of other XDMs where the indicator came up a lot further than mine does.

This might actually be a good thing though. I think I remember hearing that the indicator can cause wear on holsters. And I don't think that I'd ever really use that indicator anyway, I treat it like there's one in the chamber every time I pick it up and rack the slide a few times to make sure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Congrats on your recent purchase.

You couldn't have picked a better gun store... Bud's always have the best deals online:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, I'll get a pic up soon. I lost my camera somewhere in the house, as soon as I find it I'll post up a few pics. I don't really want to use the phone to take the pics, wouldn't do the gun justice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do have one question though about my gun. The loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide barely barely pops up. You really have to look at it to tell if it's flat or popping up. I feel like something is wrong with it. I think I've seen pictures of other XDMs where the indicator came up a lot further than mine does.
Don't look for the loaded indicator to be "up" so much as to getting used to the difference in appearance from when it's down and to when it's up.
I also wouldn't want it to protrude at all if possible.

It's really a worthless feature (to me), because I will NEVER trust any indicator other than my own eyes that can look directly into an empty chamber and see an empty chamber and an empty magazine (or with no magazine at all). Until I personally see that, the pistol is loaded, period.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's my new baby!

In the last pic you can see the loaded chamber indicator on top of the gun. That's with a (dummy) round in the chamber, that's as far as it sticks up

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wowser! I have her sexy, twin sister. You gonna love her so much that you will want her big sister, the 4.5" .45. It's true love!

RJ

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You're chambered round indicator looks pretty low to me. I wonder if they put a .40 indicator in there in place of a 9mm one. (assuming that there is a difference - don't know if there is or not!)

If it bugs you, take a picture and send it to SA and ask them if it's correct. They are the experts, not us.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Everytime I see a pic of a XDm compact it reminds me of how much I want one so my 4.5" XDm doesn't get lonely. Grats on the new gun. I'm sure you'll love it enough that you'll add a few more to the collection soon enough.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. That loaded chamber indicator does look a little low. A buddy of mine just picked one up the other day and it definitely sticks out more. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it as long as the gun functions as it should.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wowser! I have her sexy, twin sister. You gonna love her so much that you will want her big sister, the 4.5" .45. It's true love!

RJ

Ya I know that I'll be wanting to get more guns soon. This is my first gun that I've ever owned, so I figured a 9mm would be good while I learn to shoot. Nice cheap ammo. I'm going to try to hold myself back from buying more guns for as long as possible, but I know that eventually I'll give in and the collection will start growing.

I've shot the gun every day since I had it. Just got back from putting 200 more rounds through it today. It works great, I love it. I finally fixed a problem that I've had every time I've ever shot. I was always hitting low or low right. Yesterday I caught myself dipping the front site at the exact moment I was firing. I was anticipating the recoil. I've played with my trigger enough to know exactly when it's going to fire, so I was anticipating that moment and subconsciously pulling down a little right as it fired.

I knew that was what I was doing but couldn't fix it. I know the shot is supposed to come as a surprise, but I just couldn't help telling myself that the shot was going to come right when I knew it was. Today I just tried to wipe my mind as I started my trigger squeeze, keep it as blank as possible and not think about anything. It helped so much, I was hitting tight groups right where I was aiming all day.

As far as the chamber indicator, the more I think about it the more I like it like this. It pops up some so if I really want to look at it I can tell if there's a round in the chamber, but it's really pretty useless to me. Treat the gun like it's loaded until I'm positive that it's not. I'm not going to rely on that little piece of metal to let me know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's my new baby!

In the last pic you can see the loaded chamber indicator on top of the gun. That's with a (dummy) round in the chamber, that's as far as it sticks up
Did you clean your XDM before you shot it? There may have been excess oil around the indicator and powder may have gummed it up when you shot it. I had that happen to my XD-45 once and I just blew it out with some Break Free Powder Blast.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts