Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new used xd from a friend for 350.. . shes beutifull.. The first time i looked at it i thought i was seeing some more wear then i really was.. he shined it up a bit before giving to to me and now the only scratch on the outside is up on top on the ejector and its just a light scuff.. and it needed a little cleaning inside the chamber and a coat of oil on the rest.. i havent been able to get out and shoot it yet becuase of the dam rain around here.. i dont want to shoot her in 40 degree weather and rain for the first time so i figure ill just wait it out a while and take er out to the range when its a bit nicer out.. i must of dry fired it 50 times or so last night though . i love the feeling of this gun.. couldent ask for more.. Does anyone know if casting your own lead for these is a bad idea? i know for glocks ive seen some places its not recomended.. but wasent sure about for the xd? Chances are i will not do it anyways.. but he also gave me the tools for reloading and one of the things was the lead and molds.. so i thought i would ask . also when i whiped down the slide with just a drop of outers oil on a patch .. i think i may have got just a light bit on the top part of the frame.. Is that bad practice? should i field strip from now on to prevent any getting on the frame?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome aboard! That's a good price. Your XD can take a beating so, don't worry to much. Temperature and a little rain can't hurt it. The scratches at the top of the barrel block (ejector) will always be there, that is normal. You can spray oil all over the thing if you like but it gets a bit slippery to hold :). A bit of oil on the plastic bits cant hurt at all. Reloads can be a problem in any gun. No reason you couldn't try it though. I just like the consistency of brand new rounds.
They call it the eXtreme Duty for a reason.
Enjoy your new gun.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Welcome aboard.

The XD has the old standard type broached rifling grooves as opposed to the polygonal rifling in the Glock -- the polygonal rifling is not suitable for lead bullets.

The 9mm ammo is so cheap it makes reloading less attractive. Also, factory ammo is always recommended by the manufacturer.

As noted above, oil won't hurt the frame.

Enjoy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts