Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you know my XD 40 was jamming on UMC Rem ammo, so I took it into gander to have them fix it. That was August 27th. Well I went in today and met up with the smith asking for a progress report, as I was told it would be ready in two weeks. He informed me that the shop was full of stuff and most things are taking 3-4 weeks.

Well we got to talking and I asked if I could see the gun and show him what I thought what the problem was and asked if I could show him my S&W nine for comparison. (which I had concealed). So he brings over my XD I break down the nine and show him the barrel feed ramp on the S&W how its smooth with no visible or felt scratches. He breaks down the XD and I show him both the block ramp(?) and barrel feed ramp which has visible scratches on it. So we keep talking and I ask him about Hi Powers and other things for about 15 mins. Next thing I know he walks back to his box and whips out some sort of polishing rod and starts to work on the feed ramps. We talk more and he says I should test other ammo in it, so I tell him I will brb going to grab some defense ammo.

Gander was out of every defense ammo in .40sw cept magtech, which I passed on. I take a look at and hold a Hi Power and then the smith tells me the gun is done. He hands it to me and I break it down, the ramps are shiny as hell and super smooth. Then he hands me a reciept with the amount of $0.00 on it. I tell him I owe him a 12 pack for getting my stuff done today, and doing the work. He opts for a Pepsi since he doesnt drink.

So in short I got my XD back today, hopefully fixed and found a local gun shop, that I didnt know existed, and bought some 180gr Speer Gold Dots. Gonna test fire it 2morrow.

If anyone lives in the Fredericksburg, Spotsy, Caroline, or King George area go see Mike at Ganders smith depart. hes the man. On a side not he had also replaced the pin holding the extractor in my S&W for free when I broke it trying to take the grip off.

P

·
0 Posts
Cyberbeer said:
Well as some of you know my XD 40 was jamming on UMC Rem ammo, so I took it into gander to have them fix it. That was August 27th. Well I went in today and met up with the smith asking for a progress report, as I was told it would be ready in two weeks. He informed me that the shop was full of stuff and most things are taking 3-4 weeks.

Well we got to talking and I asked if I could see the gun and show him what I thought what the problem was and asked if I could show him my S&W nine for comparison. (which I had concealed). So he brings over my XD I break down the nine and show him the barrel feed ramp on the S&W how its smooth with no visible or felt scratches. He breaks down the XD and I show him both the block ramp(?) and barrel feed ramp which has visible scratches on it. So we keep talking and I ask him about Hi Powers and other things for about 15 mins. Next thing I know he walks back to his box and whips out some sort of polishing rod and starts to work on the feed ramps. We talk more and he says I should test other ammo in it, so I tell him I will brb going to grab some defense ammo.

Gander was out of every defense ammo in .40sw cept magtech, which I passed on. I take a look at and hold a Hi Power and then the smith tells me the gun is done. He hands it to me and I break it down, the ramps are shiny as hell and super smooth. Then he hands me a reciept with the amount of $0.00 on it. I tell him I owe him a 12 pack for getting my stuff done today, and doing the work. He opts for a Pepsi since he doesnt drink.

So in short I got my XD back today, hopefully fixed and found a local gun shop, that I didnt know existed, and bought some 180gr Speer Gold Dots. Gonna test fire it 2morrow.

If anyone lives in the Fredericksburg, Spotsy, Caroline, or King George area go see Mike at Ganders smith depart. hes the man. On a side not he had also replaced the pin holding the extractor in my S&W for free when I broke it trying to take the grip off.
Gold dots are the mutha funkin ****. I bought a LE pack of them (250 rounds for $45, and this is in cali) and I now use gold dots as my range ammunition, since at that price, it costs just a hair more than shooting blazer or anything else, although I must say, the velocities from blazer are nice, anyone know if they make any blazer JHP rounds? would be great, also a decrease in weight.

P

·
0 Posts
Cyberbeer said:

Gold dots are the mutha funkin ****. I bought a LE pack of them (250 rounds for $45, and this is in cali) and I now use gold dots as my range ammunition, since at that price, it costs just a hair more than shooting blazer or anything else, although I must say, the velocities from blazer are nice, anyone know if they make any blazer JHP rounds? would be great, also a decrease in weight. The only thing I have found to out perform gold dots, were some reloads he made. He gave me 100 to test (since at the time I worked at a ballistics testing facility) and they had 15" average of penetration and expansion of over 100% and were fully expanded in the first 6", now talk about some serious wound channels. They would expand then tumble a little. Expansion was even, but for production ammo gold dot is supposed to be some of the best, unless you want to violate federal law and use some of those frangible ammunition types out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I polished my own feed ramp a while ago as preventative maintenance! :D
Glad your Gander Gunsmith wasnt a HACK like the one who broke my sights trying to install them. :roll:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Living in liberal fanatic California, its suggested otherwise, but i've met some of the friendliest people while shooting and doing other things gun related. my .02. glad to hear that you had such a good experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wreckage said:
I polished my own feed ramp a while ago as preventative maintenance! :D
Glad your Gander Gunsmith wasnt a HACK like the one who broke my sights trying to install them. :roll:
What did you use to polish your feed ramp?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts