Springfield XD Forum banner

Got my very first gun today :)! XD9 :D pics!

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  JBRazor 
#1 ·
Hey everyone :p! as I mentioned in my introduction, I am brand new to the gun world, Ive never owned a gun and have been to the range as many times as I can count on two hands :/ Yesterday I left college to go back home before summer classes start, I picked up my SA XD9 at 9a.m./est and drove home, got there around 5p.m./est and had many things to do before I could actually sit down and check it out :'( Although everyone on this site knows what an SA XD9 looks like I figure it could only make this post better by putting some pictures up :idea: so here they are :eek: :

Now the question parts, yes I am a newb (so giving me some burns are ok, constructive criticism can only help) , and just got my first gun/hand gun ever so I am new to all of this and know that any advice will really help!
1) Should I clean the gun before taking it out to the range? I havent used it once. Never been shot.
2) Will Hoppes #9, Rem oil wipes, and formula 3 gun conditioner, be the only maintenace supplies I need for now? I bought some breakfree as well but heard I should be very careful using it.
3) The 9mm ammo that you can by at walmart, (probably winchester, etc.) is that ok to use, regardless that it is inexpensive?

Thanks ahead of time for feedback, etc. I have been doing a lot of research and have found all tips etc, very helpful!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
1.) Most recommend that you clean the gun before the first time you take it out to get the excess gunk (used for storage and shipping), I too only own one handgun (XDM9C) and when I first bought it being the newb I was (read am) bought it at a gun show drove straight to the range and put 100 rds through it with no problems, I have since become religious about cleaning it (probably clean it too much haha).
2.) I use cotton balls and Q-Tips dipped in Hoppes #9 to remove all the residue from my gun, then wipe it down with a microfiber cloth to wipe off the excess. I also bought a universal cleaning kit (cleaning rod with multiple heads for different caliber sizes you can put on it, along with wipes, brass brushes, and some other things) and use the cleaning rod with wipes on the end dipped in hoppes to clean the barrel followed by dry wipes to remove excess. I then use remoil on the outside of the barrel and inside of the slide (NOT NEAR THE STRIKER ASSEMBLY). Not sure what the conditioner is for I've never used it...
3.) I shoot Cheap Federal Champion from wal-mart ($10.47 per 50 around here) most of the time, I've also used Remington UMC that I've got on sale $49.99 for 250, and Remington UMC Target (got at the gun show 98.99 for 500 rds) along with a couple other brands I can't think of right now all the cheapest stuff I could find and haven't had a single FTE or FTF.

Have fun and be safe!

Phillip

#5 ·
Hey Newbie, welcome to the world of Gun ownership. So many things to say to you. First of all, don't be stupid. Please respect the fact that this is something that can kill, there is no way to take a fired bullet back once it leaves the barrel.... There now that that is out of the way... please be careful. Okay, we can move on. Take a CCW course, even if you don't intend to carry, the knowledge you gain from that course will be invaluable throughout your life. I have been shooting all my life and I learned so much from it.

As far as your questions go.
1. I guess you can clean it first, but I wouldn't worry about it if you don't. The manual doesn't say anything about cleaning it first.... That reminds me... READ THE MANUAL.
2. I got the oatis cleaning kit... It's very nice... I use Hoppe's Elite cleaning solution, which is a conditioner as well. I just use oil on the heavy wear areas, also Hoppe's Elite... It is nice stuff.
3. It's an XD man, shoot what ever you want out of it. Cheap makes great range ammo, but decide what you want for your defense ammo and make sure to practice with that ammo every once in a while. Also, even if you're using cheap ammo. Make sure to use the same Grain as your defense ammo. Different grains feel different when shooting, you don't want any surprises.

I'm really happy you got your first gun and I'm happy you are here to ask questions. Welcome.

Now go train, and for god sakes, be careful.

Don't go show off the gun to everyone you know either, only the internet:)

#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Haha! Thanks for the much needed info! Doing a light clean right now! Going to take my time learning the components and mechanisms, Ive been reading the manual over and over:) I will take a course in the next week or two when I have the money to do everything. Showing off, no lol. I dont really want people knowing I have a firearm; its for my personal enoyment:p Thanks again! If anyone knows a good link for a cleaning video, please send it this way :D

#12 ·
Grats on the XD. As others have said, all you need to do is give the gun a good cleaning to clear out the packing crap they put in there and then you are ready to roll. The XD/m will eat pretty much anything you decide to feed it and even the cheapest stuff you find at Walmart or Academy works great as long as you don't find a defective round.

This forum is a wealth of information and although it is an XD forum it also has some of the most impartial members I've seen in a gun forum. Take advantage of this and learn as much as you can.

Other than that just be safe and remember that it isn't a toy and mistakes can be fatal.

#13 ·
Congrats on your purchase and Im sure you'll find yourself at the range more often than you think. You have made a smart choice making the XD9 as your first initial investment... more will follow Im sure:p

My first tip/ pointer for you is "Read the Manual" and familiarize yourself with the gun's safety features and dry fire as many times you wish before hitting the range.

Watch some videos on how to properly field strip and clean your XD... many are available through this site and many more on the web.

Once you have familiarized yourself with the basic functions of your gun. Practice safe gun handling techniques and make it a habit to do so.

My XD9 will just take any cheap factory ammo with no problem. I have been using Sellier & Bellot and PMC Bronze.

Enjoy your XD!

#14 ·
+1 for ConCon also! ;)

The CCW class is not a bad idea, but you could also start with a Barney Basics shooting class. Along with your car, this is the most dangerous thing you have ever owned...let me take that back. Along with your car, your shooting index finger is the most dangerous thing you have. Keep it off of the trigger unless you intend to pulverize whatever you are pointing at.

If you want to play cowboy, and that instinct is in all of us...then get some snap caps. They are inert "bullets" that you use for practicing dry fire, drawing, and so forth. This allows you to practice pulling your gun, aiming, firing, etc. You have to double/triple check your gun is empty, and put all ammo in another room. Continue to treat the gun as if it is loaded. Never point it at any part of your body, and always make sure you are "firing" in a safe direction. Sounds really repetitive, but you read more sad stories about people who had not conditioned themselves to know that they know that they know a gun is safe, that thought their weapon was safe, and then it discharged.

Don't know if you are done with college? What do you do with it when you get back up there? Don't know the rules of your college. However, I would recommend not taking it with you since many college kids do the darnedest things. If you do take it, make sure you have a safe only you can get into.

Lots of good videos online. A lot of people here do not like NutnFancy because he dissed the XDm he was reviewing. However, for the most part, he gives good reviews and things to think about...especially if you intend to carry. Some of his stuff is a little out there, but at least he is out there carrying on. Steve at SafeArmsReview is also a great resource, and a good guy.

If you plan to carry concealed, then Masaad Ayoob wrote a wonderful book called The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry. Wonderful stuff. Lots of good books out there.

Take care and have fun!

RJ

#17 ·
Thanks everyone:)! Took the gun to the indoor range today! put 100 rounds of PMC Bronze 115 grain through it. It was great! accurate, smooth, and with little recoil; I am beyond satisfied with my purchase:D! I didnt want to leave the range:???:! When I got home I cleaned the gun and now Im anxiously awaiting the next two days until I go to the range again!LOL

#18 ·
Clean it first..... then shoot it.... clean it....repeat as needed. After 500 rds its broke in. I don't have deep pockets so buying that cleaning stuff was killing me. So do some research and I came up with Mobil Syn Motor oil 5-10w for cleaning and lubing. Been doing that for 3 years now and not a problem and I still have the quart of oil and it cost what $3.50. Good luck and nice gun. I have the XD9SC, 9 Service, 45 Service and 45 Tactical. Love all four of them.

#21 ·
Thanks guys:D! Ive been havng a lot of fun going to the range:). Ive had it for a week now and shot 275 rounds already, would you say thats too much? Ive clean it 4 times now! Rumors say that a hand gun isnt too reliable after 3000 rounds, but Ive only heard it from 2 people. Should I slow down?

#22 ·
Thanks guys:D! Ive been havng a lot of fun going to the range:). Ive had it for a week now and shot 275 rounds already, would you say thats too much? Ive clean it 4 times now! Rumors say that a hand gun isnt too reliable after 3000 rounds, but Ive only heard it from 2 people. Should I slow down?
Who ever told you that needs to be slapped. If I bought any gun that started to break constantly after 3k rounds I would be pissed.

275 rounds n one week is not too much. I shot 200 rounds the first day I bought my XDm and have over 2k rounds in just over 2 months.

#23 ·
i bought a ruger redhawk used in april, contacted ruger with serial no. on a date of manufactured, replied, Aug. 1985. god only knows how many boxes were put threw it, reloads, etc. dude i was hitting the bullseye @ 10yds easy with this old gal. got 1350rds with my xd after 6months, head shots @ 7yds for stress reliever, im keep running it till the wheels fall off. xd's get better over time, just like whisky & scotch.

#26 ·
I have the same gun. I added the rubber grips from Tractiongrips and it makes a world of difference in shooting it. Before, even with a stout grip, my hands would get sweaty and slip a little. It was a great inexpensive improvement. It sounds like you should think about reloading your own bullets if you are shooting that much. It would reduce your cost to shoot and increase your frequency to shoot. Goo dluck and congrats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.