Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the only three the shop had recieved from Springfield for the Sub-compact.

I was really happy about them until I tried to drop one away to simulate a combat reload. THe mag hung in there like it was an old Glock mag.

Looks like I'll have to break the third hand out of storage if I am going to use the XD high caps.

GRUMBLE!!!!!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
The fact that springfield's subcompact uses 10 round mags from the factory, running a 15 round mag in there, likely doesnt make the gun drop free.

Im sure if you use the mags the gun was designed for, it would drop free all day long to your hearts content

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NExd said:
The fact that springfield's subcompact uses 10 round mags from the factory, running a 15 round mag in there, likely doesnt make the gun drop free.

Im sure if you use the mags the gun was designed for, it would drop free all day long to your hearts content
They are designed for the Sub-Compact by Springfield for a Springfield.
They are part of Sprignfields XD Gear.

Even says "XD0931 9mm 15rd Sub-Compact Magazine w/ black sleeve" on the back.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep... to be honest they kinda look weird. Makes the handle of a SC feel like a service model. All loong and stuff.

They look kinda like the bottom of the SC has been repeated on the magazine.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
RLLOVER said:
NExd said:

They are designed for the Sub-Compact by Springfield for a Springfield.
They are part of Sprignfields XD Gear.

Even says "XD0931 9mm 15rd Sub-Compact Magazine w/ black sleeve" on the back.
As far as I have bene informed, they are a service mag with a longer grip. It is a ghetto rig and not designed for the gun per se. I would be surprised if there is anything different with these mags and the service mags not including the extended base/grip

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
RLLOVER said:
I bought the only three the shop had recieved from Springfield for the Sub-compact.

I was really happy about them until I tried to drop one away to simulate a combat reload. THe mag hung in there like it was an old Glock mag.

Looks like I'll have to break the third hand out of storage if I am going to use the XD high caps.

GRUMBLE!!!!!
it may just need some break in time. or try, maybe oiling them....

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have one of these mags and thought that it wasn't dropping freely also. Upon closer inspection I realized that my hand was resting on the extension sleeve that is on the mag which extends the SC's grip. This might be your problem as well. When I press the mag release with a loose grip or without holding the grip at all it will drop free. It's much easier to do fast reloads with the 9 round (10round for 9mm) mags.

I also agree that the smaller mags with peirce extensions look better, however I do tend to shoot better with the Hicap extended mag. My hands are a little to large for a great grip on the SC I think. Thank goodness for the pierce grip extensions or I'd be in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
IMO, the entire point of the SC is the shorter grip to help with concealability. The trade off of course, is a smaller ammo capacity. Why bother with an extended mag when you could just pack a service model and have better ballistics to boot?

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's still nice to have the option. SC with extended mag still has a 3" barrel. Although from what I understand for carry the extra barrel length doesnt really effect concealability, mainly it's the grip that prints.

That and I can't afford another XD right now.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
LexDiamonds said:
IMO, the entire point of the SC is the shorter grip to help with concealability. The trade off of course, is a smaller ammo capacity. Why bother with an extended mag when you could just pack a service model and have better ballistics to boot?
quoted for truth

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I carry my sub, I use the 15 rd with extension sleeve as my spare mag. It is no harder to conceal than a regular 15 rd mag.

I haven't tried it with my sub, but noticed while shooting a G26 with a G19 mag in it that the mag can wiggle and if you put too much backward pressure on it can cause the empty shell to jam between the barrel and the mouth of the next case in the mag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
okgr8outdrs said:
When I carry my sub, I use the 15 rd with extension sleeve as my spare mag. It is no harder to conceal than a regular 15 rd mag.
I do the same . . . besides, with the extended mag, I have the extra rounds in the SC at home for things that go bump in the night!

·
Registered
85 Posts
RLLOVER said:
I got a stock XD9 sub mag that wouldn't drop. The tube was slightly wider front to back that it should have been. Check the fitment in your magwell and see if it rubs. But probably easier to just use some calipers and compare the dimensions to your good mags.

I took it apart and put the tube in my vise between wood blocks. Got the dimensions the same. Didn't take much.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LexDiamonds said:
I originallybought the SC for the summer where I will be wearing shorts and a short sleaved shirt. Along the way I realized I wanted only one carry weapon instead of two. I had a full size USP 40. I didn't want to become too firmiliar with a single action non-manual release style safety then switch over to a weapon that had a thumb safety that would need released before shooting the weapon. Recipe for disaster.

[rant]If I was worried about ballistics I would carry my Micro 1911. I like my XD9... mostly. The wife has hers also that means less confusion about what mags belong to what gun. I won't have time to think about it if I need to reload.

I can carry the SC with the Hi-Cap mag with most of my short or long sleeve shirts with no problem. In some situations that would require a smaller imprint I would be able to use the factory magazines in the weapon and have the hi-caps in reserve.

I am 6'3" 280lbs. I could darn near conceal a crossbow if I had to.

The real reason for my post was not to be asked why I needed what I wanted for my chosen carry weapon. The reason is that I bought a magazine from the company that sells my carry weapon and the darned thing doesn't work properly.

It may look ghetto, it may confuse or dumbfound you that I would want a large capacity magazine for a gun that I may need to use to defend my life. You might not even like me for buying something that changes the look of the gun. NONE OF THAT MATTERS!!!!

The point of the entire story is this.

I bought them they don't work the way I thought they should and I was curious if there are others on the site that have the same view of the situation as I do. If you buy factory mags (what all good gunsmiths will tell you you should do) for a gun that has not been modified then why on Gods green earth don't they fit properly?[/rant]

·
Registered
38 Posts
don't hold back . . . tell us how you really feel :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts