Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after debating back and forth about what to get I broke down and got the XD 357 SIG today. I’m from Mississippi and this was the first gun I have purchased here in Texas. I’m surprised at how easy it was. When I left MS you had that waiting period, however here I walked in and was out within 10 minutes with my new gun and a box of Speer Golddot 125 gr GDHPs.

I have a few questions though. There was a empty cartridge inside the case with the primer painted red. What is this for? Is it for dry firing or is it just to tell people what their bullets should look like? I’ve never purchased a gun where they gave you an empty shell also.

By the way, Champion Firearms in College Station, TX treated me well. Great guys and great service.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Some states (I don't know which) require that the purchaser of the gun to send the spent cartridge in for some type of ballistics archiving.

When I think about it, slightly modifying the striker spring or changing the barrel will complete negate any purposes served by this.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Congrats! I hope you find some time to put a few rounds downrange before bow season!

When the season is over, give me a shout. You can come shoot with us.

ampleworks said:
Some states (I don't know which) require that the purchaser of the gun to send the spent cartridge in for some type of ballistics archiving.
This is true. Don't worry about it Jack. Texas doesn't require you to register the spent case.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, heading out on Friday to try and stick a deer. So it might be awhile before I make it over the your side of town to shoot. I will, however, do it one day.

Can anyone recommend a holster for this thing?

What about good ammo? The ONLY rounds they had in stock at Champions was the Speer GoldDot 125 gr GDHP. Do you guys suggest anything else?

·
Registered
885 Posts
JackFrost said:
Can anyone recommend a holster for this thing?

What about good ammo?

Do you guys suggest anything else?
Man, are you opening a can of worms on these.
You will all kinds of responses on this board.

My recommendations are to try as many different ones as you can, and pick what works best for you and your XD. (that goes for holsters and self-defense ammo)

The Speer Gold Dots should serve you well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did you get the Service or Tac?

I have also been going back and forth on the 357 Sig or 45 GAP.
Guess we can always get an extra barrel.

If you don't mind, what did you pay and did it come with 2 mags?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted the 45 GAP, however I wanted the 9mm barrel for the range and you c/t put a 9mm barrel in the 45 GAP.

So, I got the Service 357 SIG and I paid $435 for it, the case, two mags, and lock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
JackFrost:
For a cheap ($20) holster that works just fine check out Uncle Mike's, ive got the sidekick for my service 9mm and it works great.

"So, I got the Service 357 SIG and I paid $135 for it, the case, two mags, and lock"
$135 !! :shock: i think im goin to Texas to buy my next xd
:D
Just out of curiosity where did you live in mississippi.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Judging from the thousands of "pissing contest" posts about what ammo is best (for personal defense) I think that Speer Gold Dots are a safe bet. As far as Target shooting at the range? Buy whatever is cheap. I don't even know if they make "WWB" in .357 Sig. (Walmart/winchester White Box).. It's the Winchester "USA" target/range ammo, all white box, red and black lettering. If they don't CCI Blazer is generally cheap and reliable. I've never had a problem with WWB though. (The JHP WWB does not expand with much consistency though, or uniform pattern.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
They do make a 115 grain .357 sig Winchester white box. I shoot them at the range twice a week.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just bought 357 SIG SPEER GOLD DOT 125 GRAIN
JACKETED HOLLOW POINT
PREMIUM NICKEL CASED AMMO
PACKED LOOSE IN 250-Rd. CARTONS
for $229 shipped from www.ammoman.com
It's about the same price as Cabala's when you add shipping and it's factory ammo.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depending on how much you want to spend on a holster....

For my XD .357 I went to www.hbeleatherworks.com and had Eric make me a nice COM 3 holster with shark skin trim. Took a while to get, but quality requires time and it was well worth the wait.

For carry ammo......Ranger T, Speer Gold dot, or Double Taps .357 sig ammo which is topped off with a gold dot all work well.

For practice ammo I just reload my own so I cant help out there. :D

Link to picture of holster since it is kinda big

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ckelly/xd_holster1.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts