Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting quote from the November 6, 2018 Woodpile report Woodpile Report is below.

I went through a four-month period of hunger in 1988. Minimal money, one small meal a day. I've never forgotten it, and to this day I still have a propensity to not leave food on the plate.

Sometimes I despair of the nonsense otherwise sane people can believe until I remember, they'll be my competitors when the SHTF. And no, survivalists are not a brotherly band, nor can they be. Relying on survivors I have known, of slave labor camps for one, survivalists are not selfless patrons looking to pitch in for the common good. The root word "survive" is the tip off. Preppers believe themselves to be goal oriented cooperatives, and they will be until the way ahead narrows and darkens and hard choices become no choices at all. Then they become survivalists.

Mere hard times come to an end, and survivalism begins, when the word "hungry" reclaims its original meaning. Hunger is an experience that never leaves you, and in that sense it's a gift. It's the survivalist's all-purpose knife for any Gordian Knot. It's the supreme teacher, and it appears when the student is least ready. Hunger doesn't value your preferences, nor does it arrive dressed in gingham with recipes to make shrimp creole more tastey. But be assured, you'll recognize it when you see it.

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
Cutting weight for wrestling, I went light on food for extended periods of time, but it didn't make that big an impact on me.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
I am fat. Good for the hard long term ending of SHTF but generally bad for the human body. We store up fat because we eat too much. That body fat is like money in a good bank. Mother Nature's method of keeping us alive with little or no food for a very long extended period of time.

Now have lost 25 pounds. 35 more pounds to go. All told it will take a whole year of "push aways" and more exercise. I am always hungry. Did it once in high school to make the Cross Country Team. Lost 10 pounds. Very difficult. There was not that much to lose to begin with.

The next year in high school I tried out for football. Had to gain that 10 pounds back and had to gain more weight in muscle mass. Never could quite do it. I made the JV team but did not letter. Not heavy enough at 175. Back last June I weighted 235. My goal is 165. High school weight.

Can I have something to eat please? I have dreams about food. Big Pizzas. :)

·
Premium Member
17,765 Posts
I've never been hungry... like, never.

My brain starts to shut down and goes into a fuzzy cocoon when I've gone more than 8 hrs... It's usually protein that brings me back to life. I don't really know what my body would do if I didn't eat (assuming water, at least) for 2-3 days. Not a happy thought.

But I wonder if my system would start to acclimate and my brain would find a new normal...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I am fat. Good for the hard long term ending of SHTF but generally bad for the human body. We store up fat because we eat too much. That body fat is like money in a good bank. Mother Nature's method of keeping us alive with little or no food for a very long extended period of time.
Not exactly. Being fat also requires you to burn more energy to move. You're going to feel extreme hunger well before any significant loss of fat occurs and sooner as you require more energy in the first place. That means you'll drain your energy sooner, become lethargic and cloudy-headed before a healthy weighted person would, and will initially require more food to feel better.

Think of it another way, being overweight and awash with easy food is a relatively new occurrence in human history. The human species spent centuries just getting by. Do you think they were fat? Survival of the fittest dictates your ability to be efficient. Being fat isn't efficient.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Being fat is not efficient living within your environment like outrunning nasty animals. But ... metabolically being fat is very efficient. It is stored energy. Your body is less efficient being fat but going a long time without any food at being fat is very efficient. You survive to breed. But ... I am too old for that! :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
An interesting quote from the November 6, 2018 Woodpile report Woodpile Report is below.

I went through a four-month period of hunger in 1988. Minimal money, one small meal a day. I've never forgotten it, and to this day I still have a propensity to not leave food on the plate.

Sometimes I despair of the nonsense otherwise sane people can believe until I remember, they'll be my competitors when the SHTF. And no, survivalists are not a brotherly band, nor can they be. Relying on survivors I have known, of slave labor camps for one, survivalists are not selfless patrons looking to pitch in for the common good. The root word "survive" is the tip off. Preppers believe themselves to be goal oriented cooperatives, and they will be until the way ahead narrows and darkens and hard choices become no choices at all. Then they become survivalists.

Mere hard times come to an end, and survivalism begins, when the word "hungry" reclaims its original meaning. Hunger is an experience that never leaves you, and in that sense it's a gift. It's the survivalist's all-purpose knife for any Gordian Knot. It's the supreme teacher, and it appears when the student is least ready. Hunger doesn't value your preferences, nor does it arrive dressed in gingham with recipes to make shrimp creole more tastey. But be assured, you'll recognize it when you see it.

Hungry survivalists founded this nation. imagine that

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
Being fat is not efficient living within your environment like outrunning nasty animals. But ... metabolically being fat is very efficient. It is stored energy. Your body is less efficient being fat but going a long time without any food at being fat is very efficient. You survive to breed. But ... I am too old for that! :)
I don't care how fit you are, you won't out run a cougar, wolf or any bear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
being too lean is also not a good thing, some extra fat is good for survival, especially in cold weather, how long would a skinny ESKIMO last in extreme cold weather conditions?

If you look at photos of indigenous peoples, they will often have a "belly' they never have a lean "six pack"

being thin doesnt always mean healthy, sometimes it could also be a sign of a weak fragile person

in the Navy SEALs, the tall skinny guys never make it through training, they cant take cold weather / cold water and suffer from hypothermia much more quickly.

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
being too lean is also not a good thing, some extra fat is good for survival, especially in cold weather, how long would a skinny ESKIMO last in extreme cold weather conditions?

If you look at photos of indigenous peoples, they will often have a "belly' they never have a lean "six pack"

being thin doesnt always mean healthy, sometimes it could also be a sign of a weak fragile person

in the Navy SEALs, the tall skinny guys never make it through training, they cant take cold weather / cold water and suffer from hypothermia much more quickly.
There is tons more to surviving the cold than BMI. Look at some of those far north shows. I remember one where the cop had to ride out to arrest a stupid teen or the like and the kids was pretty thin. He took the ride back in a sleigh behind the snowmobile, cuffed with no gloves or mittens way better than this fatass that was renowned for taking the cold incredibly well. I also never noticed an increase in cold tolerance as I put on the lbs. That's likely only going to kick in on the boundary of hypothermia (been there BTW. Underdressed for the temperature drop when the sun went down with hours to go on the ride. Similar story to my first patches of frost bite.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts